• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Draw has been announced, here's the table:
Untitled2.png

Here's a table of who isn't playing who.
Untitled.png

I'd say the worst off are the Brumbies and the Hurricanes, while the best off are the Reds, the Bulls and the Highlanders.

In terms of byes, the Rebels are screwed with the first two rounds of byes and then only one more to break up their 16 games.

In terms of tours from hell, the Stormers play the Crusaders, then the Chiefs, then the Brumbies, then the Reds.

Zander

Ron Walden (29)
Can someone explain why the Saffers start a round earlier like this year with the Australian teams? I thought that was only for Lions tour years.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Can someone explain why the Saffers start a round earlier like this year with the Australian teams? I thought that was only for Lions tour years.
Good question.

Are they are playing an extra test where the Round 17 byes are?

Are they only playing 3 tests?

INCOMING TOUR
Springboks vs Wales (Johannesburg)
Springboks vs Wales (Nelspruit)
Springboks vs Scotland (Port Elizabeth)

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Three afternoon games at Allianz for the Tahs. Happy with that:

Vs Force Sun 23.2.14
Vs Lions Sun 18.5.14
Vs Highlanders Sun 6.7.14

Something that suits the free kids memberships.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Rebels draw sucks,

All home games are Friday nights, not even one on a Saturday or Sunday

Cheetahs first up who would have already played two games when we are playing our first.

Ending the year in SA, means only one game in Australia after the break.

Bye in round 1 and 2 is a joke.

Not playing the Reds till rounds 14 and 17

ACT away late in the season when it's frozen in ACT again.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
In terms of tours from hell, the Stormers play the Crusaders, then the Chiefs, then the Brumbies, then the Reds.

Sharks have it pretty tough. One home game in the last 7, they have the A/NZ tour then Stormers at home before finishing away against Cheetahs and Stormers. No easy beats on the tour either, Stormers coach would have gone into meltdown with that draw.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Force have to make 2 trips to NZ and one after a 2 game tour to SA with 1 week at home then to NZ. Tough ask.

Would have like to see us get a tour to nz instead of 2 trips but other then that im happy.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Trouble at mill?

THE five Australian Super Rugby teams' executives will hold an emergency meeting in Sydney today to discuss proposals they believe will threaten their financial viability.
The hastily arranged meeting will be attended by the chief executives of the five franchises - the ACT Brumbies, Melbourne Rebels, NSW Waratahs, Queensland Reds and Western Force. It follows a teleconference last Thursday in which the CEOs received an update on the ARU's renegotiation of the collective bargaining agreement with the Players Association.​
An informed source told The Australian the Super Rugby teams faced the possibility of rising costs and reduced revenue as a result of proposed changes, which they could not accept. It is understood the ARU is proposing to reduce its funding to the Super Rugby teams and cut Test match payments.​
At the same time there is also a proposal to increase player salaries at Super Rugby level. The teams believe the financial impact of the proposed changes would be unpalatable and unsustainable. As a result, the CEOs decided to meet as soon as possible to discuss their response.​
At this point nothing has been agreed in relation to the CBA, so the Super Rugby teams still have time to argue their case. But there was a feeling the CEOs had to move urgently on the issue because some of the proposed changes relate to next year.​
It is also likely the CEOs want to determine their response before the ARU's board meeting in Sydney next week.​

Nathan Bailey

Bob McCowan (2)
Wow this sounds pretty serious. Wondering what's really going on with the bottom line. I heard there were a large number of people let go at the ARU in the last 2 weeks. Is this right? Does anyone know what areas lost staff?

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
The full Super Rugby Referee Squad for 2014 is:Stuart Berry (RSA)
Nick Briant (NZL)
Mike Fraser (NZL)
Angus Gardner (AUS)
Rohan Hoffmann (AUS)
Glen Jackson (NZL)
Jason Jaftha (RSA)
Craig Joubert (RSA)
James Leckie (AUS)
Andrew Lees (AUS)
Matt O’Brien (AUS)
Francisco Pastrana (ARG)
Jaco Peyper (RSA)
Chris Pollock (NZL)
Lourens van der Merwe (RSA)
Marius van der Westhuizen (RSA)
Steve Walsh (AUS)
Garratt Williamson (NZL)

Kaplan (retired) and Jono White (pursuing overseas opportunity in his medical career) out, v d Westhuizen and O'Brien in

D

daz

Pretty good representation of Oz refs for next year, by the looks of things.

How many are actually experienced and competent in taking control of match day, though?

Usually, the less experienced guys get given the lower ranked games to officiate, so I expect that I will see a few of them on Friday nights at AAMI Park for the Rebels games.

D

daz

Rebels draw sucks,

All home games are Friday nights, not even one on a Saturday or Sunday

Aye, it does.

My understanding is that the Rebels are actively chasing the title of Friday night warriors. Given AFL has Saturdays and Sundays locked away with multiple games, I can see the thinking there - at least the Rebels are only competing with one AFL game on a Friday night.

Secondly, the Rebels would have very little power in giving their wishlist to SANZAR and expecting preferred treatment. We need to be one of the big dogs to get that kind of consideration.

Status
Not open for further replies.