• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby 2015, the run home

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I am getting slowly more confident about the Waratahs - Brumbies final in Sydney as I reflect on the nature of the teams and their skillsets.

The Waratahs lost to the Highlanders this year but it was one of those games where a couple of incidents during the game meant the home team were able to win quite clearly. I know the Highlanders really muscled up last Saturday in the forwards, but I don't think the Waratahs will allow them to do that this week. The Waratahs set piece has not been great this year, but neither has the Highlanders. I'm expecting the Tahs to be marginally in front in the scrums and marginally behind in the lineouts. Overall I expect the forward battle to go to the Tahs and that will be the key to the win.

The Hurricanes lost twice this year - to the Waratahs and the Crusaders. Both games were lost because the Hurricanes forwards were out-powered by their opponents pack. The Brumbies pack were the foundation stone on which they won the game and if they play with the intensity that the Crusaders and Waratahs brought to their wins then I think that they can win despite being outclassed in the backline. They have to stop three players: Ardie Savea, Julian Savea and Ma'a Nonu. Do that while overpowering the Canes' forwards and I think they can win.

Its definitely firming up in my mind. The last 20 minutes will be crucial, as it was vs the Chiefs two years ago.

Tahtrajic

Ted Fahey (11)
Henry Speight found guilty, but SANZAR delays decision
Can someone explain why this seams to happen all the time around finals time. Do the clubs muddy the waters so much when arguing the case that the commissioners feel they need more time/info. You'd think it would disrupt the team going into the match.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It would seem that the delay might relate to them being uncertain about his potential upcoming games so trying to find a relevant end date for the suspension.

My guess is that there is uncertainty over whether the weekend after the Super Rugby final counts as a week because there may not be a potential game for Speight to play.

MarkJ

Bob Loudon (25)
There's a round of John I Dent games the week after the Super Rugby final which I assume could count for any possible suspension?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The old chestnut of suspensions being couched in terms of weeks or games. It is fairly easy in the middle of a season where 1 week usually means 1 game, but with Byes, and at the end of the club season it can get difficult, especially for a fringe International player, to reconcile games or weeks suspensions.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
There's a round of John I Dent games the week after the Super Rugby final which I assume could count for any possible suspension?

Brumby Jack pointed out on twitter that Speight's club side, Gunghalin have a bye that weekend which might have been a reason things weren't cleared up last night.

MarkJ

Bob Loudon (25)
Easily fixed, Henry gets transferred to another club. I hear Vikings are dangerously understrength and could use some more quality players on their books ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.