• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby 2017: matches not involving Australian teams

Status
Not open for further replies.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
ROUND 1

Highlanders v Chiefs
17:35 Fri 24 Feb*

Sunwolves v Hurricanes
15:15 Sat 25 Feb

Cheetahs v Lions
00:05 Sun 26 Feb

Kings v Jaguares
02:15 Sun 26 Feb

Stormers v Bulls
04:30 Sun 26 Feb

*times are AEDT

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Given the trial form you wouldn't want to be a Bulls supporter!

Why on earth not?

The Bulls Currie Cup form was well ahead of the Stormers. They've smouldered everything in front of them pre-season, albeit expected as Lions sent the kids and the Chiefs were without their ABs. They were an interesting watch through the tens, their enthusiasm and morale was high.

Marais has had this game in his sights since the draw went public. Sure, Stormers have it in their sights too.

Bulls need this as things get shakey with the Kiwi tour that follows.

Stormers game plan change to expansive rugby is no where near as far down the track as the Bulls.

Home game for Stormers, must win for both. This one's a 50/50 I think and a cracking African Round 1.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'm trying to organise a weekly blog on these matches. Anyone interested please start a convo with me & I'll add you to the convo I've already started with some potential writers.

Concept is ~400 words on match of the round, ~100 words per other match, all with links to match reports (possibly SANZAAR's site) & official highlights (SANZAAR's YouTube channel). Probably needs at least four writers to make it work but the more the merrier!

Dru, I tried to include you in the initial convo but couldn't.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
I'm trying to organise a weekly blog on these matches. Anyone interested please start a convo with me & I'll add you to the convo I've already started with some potential writers.

Concept is ~400 words on match of the round, ~100 words per other match, all with links to match reports (possibly SANZAAR's site) & official highlights (SANZAAR's YouTube channel). Probably needs at least four writers to make it work but the more the merrier!

Dru, I tried to include you in the initial convo but couldn't.
I'll join in.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
So I'm guessing that people are referring to this when they suggest that the Bulls form is not what it should be.

http://www.sarugbymag.co.za/blog/details/sharks-lash-bulls-xv

Man it was hard to find an actual report. So about 30 Bulls went to Brisbane (and smacked the Chiefs in a trial). The Bulls XV that played the Sharks was what was left. Not even Currie Cup level for goodness sake.

Betting houses have Stormers by 5.5. I think they have it arse-betwixt.

Potgeiter (Aussie-Jacques) to be be roaring (singing) at full time.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Highlanders: Ben Smith (c), Waisake Naholo, Malakai Fekitoa, Rob Thompson, Tevita Li, Lima Sopoaga, Aaron Smith; Liam Squire, James Lentjes, Gareth Evans, Tom Franklin, Alex Ainley, Siate Tokolahi, Liam Coltman, Daniel Lienert-Brown. Reserves: Adrian Smith, Craig Millar, Guy Millar, Jackson Hemopo, Elliot Dixon, Kayne Hammington, Fletcher Smith, Matt Faddes.

Chiefs: Damian McKenzie, Toni Pulu, Anton Lienert-Brown, Johnny Faauli, James Lowe, Aaron Cruden, Tawera Kerr-Barlow; Liam Messam, Mitch Karpik, Taleni Seu, Brodie Retallick, Dominic Bird, Nepo Laulala, Hika Elliot, Kane Hames. Reserves: Samisoni Taukei'aho, Siegfried Fisi'ihoi, Atu Moli, Mitchell Brown, Lachlan Boshier, Jonathan Taumateine, Tim Nanai-Williams, Shaun Stevenson.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Ben Smith just got knocked his head into the ground after contesting a high ball. At first viewing it seems pretty nasty, hope the guy is alright.

Edit: Alright enough to get up and walk off the field largely unassisted. Can't imagine he'll be returning tonight.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^ he won't be back tonight & I doubt we'll see him until mid-March, that looked like a decent blow to the back of the head.

Simon.

Bob Loudon (25)
Gee the Highlanders look poor tonight. Shocking handling and decision making.

Chiefs look much better, barring the expected early season fumbles.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Question has to be, if the Tribe can win that well with (at best) 40% possession & territory, what are they gunna do with parity or better? Conversely Clan will be worried about what happens when they DON'T dominate those stats.........

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
^^^Yes, but temper that above with the lack of attack with their 40% that wasn't "gift" counter attack and it may shift the picture on how threatening they really are (based on tonight's performance).

If this were the NRL they would be investigating the first 2 tries!

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^ fortunately, as I pointed out to a colleague today, this ain't NRL it's real rugby :) You're right, Chiefs weren't that flash at times but I'd argue that was at least partly due to having to do so much defensive work. More ball gives them the platform for some structured vs ad hoc footy & that front-of-lineout try was slick enough to suggest they've got some tricks up theirs sleeve later in the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.