• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby 2023 QF: Chiefs v Reds

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
14:35 AEST Saturday 10 June - FMG Stadium, Hamilton

With three QF in NZ someone was always gunna get the shifty Edit: shitty timeslot but I'm guessing there's gunna be a lot of Reds & Oz-based Tribe supporters with school and/ or club sports commitments so maybe they could've swapped this with CruSadists v Drua.

Last edited:

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Chiefs quaking in there boots here, after they were put in there place by the Reds during the regular season the whole squad must be at a loss for what to do here. No-one can deny they've had a good run this year and there's no shame in loosing to a better side, hopefully they're not too hard on themselves when the inevitable happens.

Fireworks

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Hopefully someone's told Harry Wilson after the Drua game to hold on to the ball if the pass/offload isn't on. Reds will need to have more composure if they end up having to chase the game.

Last edited:

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
I really wish we hadn't made the finals. Compulsively I will watch, I will get my hopes up and I will be pissed off when those hopes are driven straight into the molten core of the earth.

But maybe we have a chance...
Our chances would improve if for once we got an Aussi ref and assistants who can also see the many little infringements that the Chiefs will make.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
If it i
I really wish we hadn't made the finals. Compulsively I will watch, I will get my hopes up and I will be pissed off when those hopes are driven straight into the molten core of the earth.

But maybe we have a chance...
If it is any help, you may not need to watch too long for the game to be effectively over.......but maybe, just maybe we can come back??

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Yeh Paisami will have his defenders because he's a solid performer and has been okay in gold.

But I really don't see his omission as a crucial factor in whether or not the Reds win this game. And that is telling. You'd think missing any 'current' Wallaby would be a huge loss to any team looking to topple a giant, but he definitely doesn't give off those vibes at the moment.

I'd be much more concerned if Flook/JOC (James O'Connor) were out.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Yeh Paisami will have his defenders because he's a solid performer and has been okay in gold.

But I really don't see his omission as a crucial factor in whether or not the Reds win this game. And that is telling. You'd think missing any 'current' Wallaby would be a huge loss to any team looking to topple a giant, but he definitely doesn't give off those vibes at the moment.

I'd be much more concerned if Flook/JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) were out.
I'd still rather have Paisami there, but playing at 13 with Flook on the wing. That would make for our most controlled backline with good kicking options throughout to play the sort of controlled, territory based game we built the win off of last time. I think the only reason his ommission doesn't feel crucial is that he's only a game and half back from a long injury and still finding his game again. I did think he was one of our best against the Drua, but that's not necessarily saying much.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
REDS (1-15): Peni Ravai, Matt Faessler, Sef Fa'agase, Angus Blyth, Ryan Smith, Seru Uru, Fraser McReight, Harry Wilson, Tate McDermott (c), Tom Lynagh, Josh Flook, James O'Connor, Filipo Daugunu, Suliasi Vunivalu, Jock Campbell

RESERVES: Richie Asiata, Dane Zander, Zane Nonggorr, Lopeti Faifua, Jake Upfield, Kalani Thomas, Lawson Creighton, Taj Annan

Daugunu back to 13 is interesting, he probably played his best game this year there against the chiefs.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
CHIEFS (1-15): Aidan Ross, Samisoni Taukei'aho, John Ryan, Brodie Retallick, Josh Lord, Samipeni Finau, Sam Cane (co-c) Luke Jacobson, Brad Weber (co-c), Damian McKenzie, Etene Nanai-Seturo, Rameka Poihipi, Anton Lienert-Brown, Emoni Narawa, Shaun Stevenson

RESERVES: Bradley Slater, Ollie Norris, George Dyer, Naitoa Ah Kuoi, Samipeni Finau, Cortez Ratima, Josh Ioane, Daniel Rona

Wilson

David Codey (61)
At least 10 changes to the starting 15, absolute panic stations for the Chiefs there. How can they hope to get over the mighty Reds with such low cohesion week to week? ;)

In all seriousness, I have seen a few teams falter the week after resting this year, in the same way a bye can break their flow. I doubt it'd be anywhere near enough to put the Chiefs off their game for a finals match, but it may take them a bit of time to play themselves into the game. If we can take advantage and put a good start in that'll go a long way to transferring the confidence from the previous win.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
REDS (1-15): Peni Ravai, Matt Faessler, Sef Fa'agase, Angus Blyth, Ryan Smith, Seru Uru, Fraser McReight, Harry Wilson, Tate McDermott (c), Tom Lynagh, Josh Flook, James O'Connor, Filipo Daugunu, Suliasi Vunivalu, Jock Campbell

RESERVES: Richie Asiata, Dane Zander, Zane Nonggorr, Lopeti Faifua, Jake Upfield, Kalani Thomas, Lawson Creighton, Taj Annan

Daugunu back to 13 is interesting, he probably played his best game this year there against the chiefs.
Looking at that team, the bench is really disappointing and I don't expect it to be able to maintain or up the ante if required. I will say I've been critical of Annan this year in Super Rugby but he had a really strong game at 12 in the U20s v NZ. I know it's a different level but the more games in the Centres he plays the better his defence will get.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Looking at that team, the bench is really disappointing and I don't expect it to be able to maintain or up the ante if required. I will say I've been critical of Annan this year in Super Rugby but he had a really strong game at 12 in the U20s v NZ. I know it's a different level but the more games in the Centres he plays the better his defence will get.
He did have his worst defensive game as a last minute replacement at 13, which is a pretty different defensive proposition to 12 where he has been playing for a season or two now. Might depend on where he slots in when/if he comes on.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
I can see us being competitive until the 50th minute mark and then get absolutely smoked when the bench of both teams start coming on.

The Reds bench average age has to be close to 21/22?

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
At least 10 changes to the starting 15, absolute panic stations for the Chiefs there. How can they hope to get over the mighty Reds with such low cohesion week to week? ;)
And last time the Reds played real shit, they beat Chiefs the next week?

Once again being serious, I like your attitude Wilson, not being too pessimistic etc, as I don't think supporters ever should be even when being underdog, never let the opposition supporters feel to comfortable!

Misunderstood fan

Jimmy Flynn (14)

I like this team. Flook is more dangerous on the wing, and 10. Lynagh and 12. JOC (James O'Connor) is what should have happened all year.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I'm not at all sure of Daugunu in the centres. He has the body for it and has apparently been OK previously. Hopefully Flook get's a "roving" commission.