• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby Au Final - Brumbies v Reds

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Pretty good finish to a disrupted season. Reds just aren't there yet. Brumbies clearly a better team atm.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Unfortunately, this game went exactly how I thought it would. Which means I wasn't devastated at the end. The Reds, I believe, haven't peaked yet. They are nowhere near it. I think Brad Thorn is key to that improvement.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Whatever happens next year I think Thorn deserves a lot of credit for being prepared to tear it all down and completely re-build. I do hope we can keep this group together. It seems almost inevitable we’ll lose some, but they seem a really good group of young men. I’d love to see every last one of them retained.

Ultimately our lineout cost us dearly. You can’t be a successful team and have such a poor lineout. But I do think we’ve got the cattle. But they do need significant improvement in that area. Let’s hope someone like a Ben Mowen can be bought in to help deliver that.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
On last night's viewing I would say White is a way behind Powell or McDermott. The dreadfully slow, staged box kicks were, for me, a retrograde tactic. That said, he was way ahead of Sorovi who was, quite frankly, awful.
I think the Reds have a very high ceiling - Thorn has them on a great trajectory.
Brumbies deservedly won, but the Reds really could gave pinched it.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Credit to both Powell & Lolesio - they were both terrific.

If stories are true that Powell is off the Rebels then I think that’s a bit of a shame. He’ll never by an star international half, but then neither will White and I don’t think Powell could have done much more for the Brumbies this year (or last).

Lolesio’s performance straight back from injury was bloody top shelf. Hats off to the young bloke.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Whatever happens next year I think Thorn deserves a lot of credit for being prepared to tear it all down and completely re-build. I do hope we can keep this group together. It seems almost inevitable we’ll lose some, but they seem a really good group of young men. I’d love to see every last one of them retained.

Ultimately our lineout cost us dearly. You can’t be a successful team and have such a poor lineout. But I do think we’ve got the cattle. But they do need significant improvement in that area. Let’s hope someone like a Ben Mowen can be bought in to help deliver that.

I dont know if the lineout issues can be fixed by coaching, maybe we need a new hooker who is reliable under pressure and puts the ball where it is meant to go.

Uh huh

Alfred Walker (16)
Yeah watch the lost lineouts again. The problem wasn't where the ball was being thrown, it was the lineout being read and the receiver out-jumped. It was an issue of strategy more than execution.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Yeah watch the lost lineouts again. The problem wasn't where the ball was being thrown, it was the lineout being read and the receiver out-jumped. It was an issue of strategy more than execution.

I agree, and really why does everyone assume a lineout lost is the hooker's fault? Look at the jumpers(too many of them jump reaching backwards in my opinion), lifters, and timing of said things. Also give credit to opposition for reading calls. Lineouts are incredibly complex things these days t seems to me, but I lucky when I played (and I was a lock) you just jumped using outside arm while using your inside arm to either hold off opposition jumper, or go off his shoulder:p, much simpler!

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)

Judging by Blyth's haricut - he isn't going anywhere...

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I agree, and really why does everyone assume a lineout lost is the hooker's fault? Look at the jumpers(too many of them jump reaching backwards in my opinion), lifters, and timing of said things. Also give credit to opposition for reading calls. Lineouts are incredibly complex things these days t seems to me, but I lucky when I played (and I was a lock) you just jumped using outside arm while using your inside arm to either hold off opposition jumper, or go off his shoulder:p, much simpler!
Or elbow him in the head

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
why does everyone assume a lineout lost is the hooker's fault? Look at the jumpers(too many of them jump reaching backwards in my opinion), lifters, and timing of said things. Also give credit to opposition for reading calls.

Although another player is calling it the hooker is the captain of the line out. They need to take control in crisis and it bothers me that many hookers these days struggle to. Simply lining up expecting a different result is infuriating as a viewer or coach.

Back to basics. Setting up and jumping before the opposition are ready is the easiest tactic of all. Changing numbers in the contest. Throwing to your most aggressive jumper at two.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Although another player is calling it the hooker is the captain of the line out. They need to take control in crisis and it bothers me that many hookers these days struggle to. Simply lining up expecting a different result is infuriating as a viewer or coach.

Back to basics. Setting up and jumping before the opposition are ready is the easiest tactic of all. Changing numbers in the contest. Throwing to your most aggressive jumper at two.

Don't know if you remember the Bledisloe test from about 2000-01 when Eales kicked the winning goal on fulltime? The last lineout that lead to the penalty Wallabies won ball on AB's throw in, I think it was Craig Dowd who was in tears at end of game, because he as a lifter had gone to wrong spot in lineout. Hammett the hooker did evrything right, but lifter was out of position. yet Hammett was blamed as hooker by many!

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Don't know if you remember the Bledisloe test from about 2000-01 when Eales kicked the winning goal on fulltime? The last lineout that lead to the penalty Wallabies won ball on AB's throw in, I think it was Craig Dowd who was in tears at end of game, because he as a lifter had gone to wrong spot in lineout. Hammett the hooker did evrything right, but lifter was out of position. yet Hammett was blamed as hooker by many!

I don't disagree but in the context of the SRAu final however the Reds lost 5 lineouts.

BTW the "Eales Kick" Bledisloe Cup match was Wellington 2000.