• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby AU R3 - Reds v Force

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I just don't think that the switch between Blyth/Tualima to ASY (Angus Scott-Young) is going to make a material difference against a scrum that was pretty even with the Tahs and possibly slightly weaker until Greg Holmes came on.

Far out, I am looking forward to seeing Holmes on the rugby field again!

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
At least ASY (Angus Scott-Young) can jump and his work rate is excellent.

Good to see Thornie is listening and putting Jock back at 15 and Chris on the wing.

I am convinced that Chris' best days in the QLD jersey are ahead.

But back to this week, we should win and win by a lot, but unfortunately, we will probably see a dour tense slug-a-thon with us sneaking home by a point or two.

Dean Moriarty

Billy Sheehan (19)
Is Van Humphries lacing them up for the Force too? Or is someone playing a joke on me ?

Anyway ....Reds over Dad's Army by 20+

Dean Moriarty

Billy Sheehan (19)
On all the JOC (James O'Connor) talk .....I think he looked terrific at 13 for the Wallabies last season. I think he's at his best with a bit more running rhythm and as a decision maker / play creator in that 13 channel

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I’ve had some school sport commitments come up tonight at the last minute. As a result I have four tickets for the game tonight if anyone wants them. Send me a private message and I can just email them to you.

TheNorth

Allen Oxlade (6)
If the Force forwards can keep parity upfront, I can see them winning this off the back of a superior kicking game.

Jooste, McGregor and Lance all great kicker out of hand.

I think that this could be a very tight game.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
If the Force forwards can keep parity upfront, I can see them winning this off the back of a superior kicking game.

Jooste, McGregor and Lance all great kicker out of hand.

I think that this could be a very tight game.

If they can't they risk getting absolutely slaughtered though. If the reds get their offloading game going I think the force will struggle to keep up, and if the ball moves wide Daugunu and CFS on the wings are a lot of strike power for the force outside backs to handle. Will be a dry track today, should be absolutely perfect conditions to throw the ball around.

B

Bobby Sands

Really only ASY (Angus Scott-Young) in for Rodda in a lot of people’s wish list for the back five .

I actually like it , gets our best footballers on the park at the same time .

The accuracy at the breakdown should be about as good as the Reds can be with that starting pack . It’s an area that Blyth ( and Hockings when he was still around) still need to improve.

Some locks never "miss" a cleanout, I'm uncertain if Hockings has ever effectively cleaned a ruck since Churchie.

B

Bobby Sands

I just don't think that the switch between Blyth/Tualima to ASY (Angus Scott-Young) is going to make a material difference against a scrum that was pretty even with the Tahs and possibly slightly weaker until Greg Holmes came on.

Was Greg that good was he?

Great to hear that.

Toowoomba produces more props than anywhere in the country I reckon. (Him, Smith Twins, Vanzati, Hoopert etc).

The Phoenix

Sydney Middleton (9)
Does anyone know how young Warwick lock Will Dearden is coming along. 1.99m tall and signed with Reds I believe.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Was Greg that good was he?

Great to hear that.

I wouldn't say he was amazing. He generated one scrum penalty once on the field (there weren't a huge amount of scrums though).

He did noticeably improve the Force scrum though. It wasn't like the Tahs suddenly couldn't win their own scrum ball though.

I would still expect the Reds scrum to smash them (as they will every Australian team this year).

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
If they can't they risk getting absolutely slaughtered though. If the reds get their offloading game going I think the force will struggle to keep up, and if the ball moves wide Daugunu and CFS on the wings are a lot of strike power for the force outside backs to handle. Will be a dry track today, should be absolutely perfect conditions to throw the ball around.

Can't see it being a slaughter at either side's hands. I believe the Force have a superior off-loading game to the Reds, probably the best in the country. Reds should have superiority at scrum time in the early parts of the game, but I can see the Force finishing with the stronger scrum when replacements are on. Reds scrum will be a bit of a mystery with ASY (Angus Scott-Young) in the second row. That could also play into the Force's hands.

Force should dominate the lineouts based on form so far. All going well for the Force, they could actually have the best of possession throughout the game. I don't expect the Force to run out of steam as they appeared to do against the Tahs. They are one of the better coached sides in the competition and I'm sure Sampson will have addressed that issue during the week.

Reds could have the better of the tussle out wide, but that relies on the ball getting out there with time and space for the bigger, perhaps better wingers to work with. Much otherwise will depend on whether the Reds backrow get over the top of the Force backrow. Assuming the Force get at least equal share of the ball, then I am starting to think this could be a boilover.

Dean Moriarty

Billy Sheehan (19)
For those that really enjoy watching scrum contests , Greg Holmes was a treat to watch back in the day. Great ability to stay rock solid square as looseheads tried to drag him or burrow in on him. Should have played more Test Rugby.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Can't see it being a slaughter at either side's hands. I believe the Force have a superior off-loading game to the Reds, probably the best in the country. Reds should have superiority at scrum time in the early parts of the game, but I can see the Force finishing with the stronger scrum when replacements are on. Reds scrum will be a bit of a mystery with ASY (Angus Scott-Young) in the second row. That could also play into the Force's hands.

Force should dominate the lineouts based on form so far. All going well for the Force, they could actually have the best of possession throughout the game. I don't expect the Force to run out of steam as they appeared to do against the Tahs. They are one of the better coached sides in the competition and I'm sure Sampson will have addressed that issue during the week.

Reds could have the better of the tussle out wide, but that relies on the ball getting out there with time and space for the bigger, perhaps better wingers to work with. Much otherwise will depend on whether the Reds backrow get over the top of the Force backrow. Assuming the Force get at least equal share of the ball, then I am starting to think this could be a boilover.
Force lineouts were 66% last weekend, I reckon the Reds will do it comfortably.

B

Bobby Sands

On the Toowoomba thing, Vanzati was originally from Adelaide & TGS/Downlands have both been getting a fair few kids from Adelaide.

Good to know it’s producing talent down there!

Hope they get a team some day.