• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby AU Rd 9 Force v Waratahs

D-Box

Ron Walden (29)
So the Force need a BIG win to stay in the hunt. A bonus point win in this game leaves them potentially just having to chase a losing bonus point in the last round vs the Reds (realist here they probably wont win that game).

Questions to answer
  • Do the Force have the firepower anywhere to score three more tries than the Tahs?
  • Which Tahs will turn up?
  • Can this thread not degenerate into 1) the Force are not respected by anyone or 2) NSW needs a team in Western Sydney?

D-Box

Ron Walden (29)
So the Force need a BIG win to stay in the hunt. A bonus point win in this game leaves them potentially just having to chase a losing bonus point in the last round vs the Reds (realist here they probably wont win that game).

Questions to answer
  • Do the Force have the firepower anywhere to score three more tries than the Tahs?
  • Which Tahs will turn up?
  • Can this thread not degenerate into 1) the Force are not respected by anyone or 2) NSW needs a team in Western Sydney?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Unfortunately I don’t think the Force have it in them to score three more tries than the Tahs. Is it 8 tries in 6 games for them so far? They have the defence to hold out the Tahs (who I think will be more dangerous in attack than the Rebels) but that won’t be enough for a bonus point.

chiraag

Larry Dwyer (12)
I'm actually a bit more positive on the Force's chances of a bonus point win. I think our attack looked a lot better last week and it was essentially the backline's first outing together. We were generally making good metres whenever we kept the ball in hand, which was a big change from the rest of the season. I think we also got points the majority of the time we had the ball within 30-40 metres of the opposition try line.

The main things that stopped us from scoring more tries were:
  1. Almost always taking the 3 instead of kicking to the corner or an attacking scrum
  2. Absolutely woeful kicking, especially kicking for touch where we'd keep only chewing off 10-15m and therefore kept losing the territory battle, so couldn't get ourselves in attacking areas despite the excellent efforts in defense.
  3. Losing a few line-outs from some poor throwing
Surely the first will be addressed as we must know we need to turn down the 3 in this game and go for a bonus point win to give us a realistic chance of making the finals.
The other 2 should also be relatively easy to fix with some concerted efforts at training this week (although I've been hoping for number 2 to be fixed all season really).

If we can get an early try or two (and I understand that's a very big if), then the young Tahs could very well drop their heads and get the result we need. The Tahs are a lot more dangerous than the Rebels in attack however and look much better with Gordon back, so we'll need to put in another strong defensive effort to stop them scoring tries.

D-Box

Ron Walden (29)
The bonus point change hurts the Force. I agree we could score 4, but 3 more than the Tahs? They get two over the line, suddenly we need a 5th.

In the old system the Force could have thrown caution to the wind and gone with the We Just Score More approach, but now there still needs to be equal focus on D

Equalizer

Phil Hardcastle (33)
The tries would need to be scored through the forwards because the backs haven't shown much this year so far. Jury is out on Ralston, he hasn't kicked on as much in his second year as I'd hoped. He has youth on his side but needs to show more. I'd like to see a higher profile winger recruited who can make things happen.

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
Harrison ruled out unfortunately. Looks like Edmed in now. A difficult assignment for the young Eastwood lad.....then again, if they can win he may stay there??

Reactions: TSR

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)

Well, a fairly savage attack from the Eastwood coach sticking up for his protege... It is an interesting selection but it is my understanding that Donaldson is the second choice five eighth at the Waratahs and Edmed the 3rd. Donaldson played for Randwick on the weekend but Edmed would be considered unlucky based on him playing off the bench this season due to Donaldson’s injury.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It seems a pretty crazy selection to me and has a huge potential to make Gilmore and Whitaker look like idiots as well as heaping a ton of pressure on Donaldson.

The Tahs already start this game as substantial underdogs.

Edmed was the obvious choice with Donaldson on the bench. They can make that selection and then bring Donaldson on at some point in the second half. Expectations wouldn't be particularly high and if Edmed didn't go overly well Donaldson could replace him as the starter next week.

They've well and truly pinned their colours to the mast and it Donaldson doesn't go well, where do they go then?

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Well, a fairly savage attack from the Eastwood coach sticking up for his protege. It is an interesting selection but it is my understanding that Donaldson is the second choice five eighth at the Waratahs and Edmed the 3rd. Donaldson played for Randwick on the weekend but Edmed would be considered unlucky based on him playing off the bench this season due to Donaldson’s injury.
Donaldson as second choice would make sense but with injury Edmed had come off the bench and done ok so should have been rewarded with a start imo.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I agree with most of the commentary but it was always a possibility. With JOC (James O'Connor) out this week and no back up on the bench for my fantasy team, when I heard Harrison was out I grabbed both of Edmed and Donaldson at the expense of some underperforming players in my squad until the team is announced, I’ll now ditch the unchosen one.

Back to reality, you could concoct a range of theories - is it Whitaker favouring a Randwick player, or is it Gilmore favouring one of his under 20s boys? Or is it just that Donaldson was always in front of Edmed but has been injured? Or is it that it’s not one of the top teams and with nothing to lose a good opportunity to see what Donaldson offers?

Whatever it is I hope they’re right, and I’ll reserve my judgement till after the game.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Back to reality, you could concoct a range of theories - is it Whitaker favouring a Randwick player, or is it Gilmore favouring one of his under 20s boys? Or is it just that Donaldson was always in front of Edmed but has been injured? Or is it that it’s not one of the top teams and with nothing to lose a good opportunity to see what Donaldson offers?
Doesn't really make sense. If he's been injured and is untested and the other bloke has 5 appearances, you pick the other bloke.

Even players who are automatic picks come back from an injury via the bench.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I feel for Donaldson with this played out in the media as don’t think her deserves this and does not need that extra pressure with first start at 10. I hope whoever starts at 10 goes well and if both edmed and him both do well that can only be a good thing to have more competition.
Completely agree. It may be the wrong decision - in the longer term it might be the right one.

But it is a very personal attack which isn’t warranted. Batger could have said 90% of what he said and coverred all the same points without making it personal.