• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby Au Round 7 - Reds v Rebels @ Suncorp Stadium, 7:15pm Sat 15 Aug

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
So you calling me a liar? I am interested in his opinion because he has been around the Qld scene longer than me. I repeat I was at game, it seemed strange on bus etc afterwards on bus that none was talking about game etc, I also interested in opinions of those people or lack of at as they the people that are actually at games, you know the the people we want to keep going.. RR who was at game seemed to have had same experience, because I not building up game to something I didn't think it was, or others I spoke to, don't get yourself all twisted, hell you upset at me, at BR because he had perfectly acceptable (I thought) opinions on players. It got to know you going back over my posts and you stalking me, I do belive we should listen to what people say as the vast majority of rugby going people do not post in forums.
No, not a liar but I think continually posting your mate’s negative opinion of the game is tantamount to expressing your own dissatisfaction. It’s clear you don’t think Australian Rugby is up to the same standard as NZ which by and large it is not. Whether or not that game was up there with the best of the Kiwi highlights is besides the point, a lot of neutral viewers on here (myself included) expressed their satisfaction with match. The constant death riding with comments about how no one was talking about the game on the bus just get tiresome.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
? Harsh on JOC (James O'Connor) for playing too deep? Which Brumby is the Wallabies 10 who he will usurp? My preferred 10 would be Deegan or To'omua though MT looks a lot better at 12.

Magnay for missing an important tackle? Not even in the running for a Wallabies spot atm.

Who else, please tell.
Tupou for one

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
The only thing with Harrison is his limited speed and timing in attacking play. The back 3 need to have the speed. We need a kicker.

I'm not sure what his out n' out speed is, the coaches would have the data and how he compares to the likes of Banks/DHP/Maddocks etc and opposition fullbacks... He's no slouch, but no, he's not what I'd term a speedster. He's not too bad under the highball which helps. Might not be a bad way to give him some international exposure.
 I have no doubt Rennie and team will make the best decision whichever way they go.

This is the problem isn’t it - both To'omua & JOC (James O'Connor) would be better at 12, still not sure Harrison is ready and I don’t know that Deegan is the answer. He certainly had the chance to make a good case in combination with To'omua but I’m not sure he is test quality and he doesn’t have much time to prove he is.

Edit: I do think Harrison is a very likely long term solution - maybe as soon as next season - and with his goal kicking being so good I could see him getting a crack. Although maybe off the bench initially.

Yes, lots of exciting young 10's but probably a year or two too early for all of them. That said, with this weird COVID year and likely only playing NZ at this stage, I'd be half tempted to give them a crack, even if off the bench as you say. Anyway I might leave further pondering for the Wallabies thread as we're well off topic.

Well done Reds, a good win. The table is looking rather interesting as we head into our final series of games. I think it's going to be tight to see who nabs that 3rd spot for the playoffs.

Reactions: TSR

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
What a tremendously enjoyable game that was. The Reds defence in the second half was just incredible, awesome commitment from their young guns. It may not have had huge amounts of attacking flair but some of the shot in defence were bone rattling. Great stuff.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
How good is Taniela Tupou playing right now? Plays the full 80, holds the scrum up and makes about 25 dominant tackles. Love that he's eliminated those silly penalties from his game as well.

LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) is also in a rich vein of form.

I really enjoyed that game, a high standard from both teams. Committed defence from the Reds, patient attack from the Rebels. Could have gone either way, despite the scoreline.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
No, not a liar but I think continually posting your mate’s negative opinion of the game is tantamount to expressing your own dissatisfaction. It’s clear you don’t think Australian Rugby is up to the same standard as NZ which by and large it is not. Whether or not that game was up there with the best of the Kiwi highlights is besides the point, a lot of neutral viewers on here (myself included) expressed their satisfaction with match. The constant death riding with comments about how no one was talking about the game on the bus just get tiresome.

Mate you can think what you like, I do not and will not compare the standards of the comps, there is no point, I go to SuperAU and post on it because that is what I go to. If while stalking my posts go back and see the posts of games I have really enjoyed, there have been a few of them too, I was at Reds/Force, loved the game, and posted that too, but of course it maybe didn't suit you to take notice because it was positive. I admit to using a few mates opinions, so I not just seen as a kiwi getting at Aus rugby because I not. Where I posted he records and watches next day I thought was relevant, I make it clear I never do, always watch everything I can live and enjoy it that way. What constant remarks about bus? Today is only time I have commented on that. You don't think people's apparent interest/ excitement at game is relevant? We want out game to be best entertainment possible or we will keep on moaning because we are 3rd or 4th winter sport!!

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
How good is Taniela Tupou playing right now? Plays the full 80, holds the scrum up and makes about 25 dominant tackles. Love that he's eliminated those silly penalties from his game as well.
get the impression he maturing into a bloody good prop since he realises he doesn't have to try and do blockbusting runs etc, as they not that easy at this level, he seems to enjoy being a dummy runner etc and saving a lot of energy for doing his core roles of scrumaging, mauling and defending I think.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
As someone who’s team lost the game, it was thoroughly enjoyable. Defense was brutal on both sides especially the Reds. The Rebels were brain dead and never should lose a game in which they dominate for the majority of it but that added to the spectacle.

Tahtrajic

Ted Fahey (11)
You are spot on.
I left the game happy knowing we are still in contention for the finals but was dissatisfied with the quality of rugby. The media goes on about our great defence on the line but why were we on our 22 for a solid 20 mins. The Reds need an attacking game plan, and to learn how to play quality ball to full pace runners into gaps. There were plenty of gaps. Our runners were stop and start losing momentum and power in their attack and missing opportunities. JOC (James O'Connor) was playing too deep for too long. Our backline was disjointed and couldn’t support our forward runners. Too many kicks in the first half made it a very boring game.
IMO we were lucky that the Rebels played a lazy game last night.
I’ll take the win but don’t think that game plan will work next week.
I agree. But neither team had a attack.
Yes the Reds defence was great but the Rebels attack was rubbish. But really all the Aus teams have not shown much in attack. When you look at the whole season, yes the Tahs looked great against the Reds for the first 40min and at times on Friday. The Brums attack still relies too much on their lineout drives.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Pretty happy that we can use our 5th & 6th choice loose heads and still have a competitive scrum. Reds tight 5 depth has been severely tested but, whilst the step down in level is evident the guys that have stepped up have all been able to get the job done. The coaching staff would have to be pretty happy with that. Congrats to the two debutants last night.

Agree with all the comments about Tupou - he is just getting better and better and his game last night was outstanding.

Reactions: dru

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
I think the rule changes as a whole have been good without ruining the fabric of the game.
Yep. They might not graduate to the actual law book but are workable tweaks.

Except the golden point which will probably get filed under B1N.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
What do we think of goal line drop outs for being held up?

This is one I was against when I heard of it, but after seeing it action quite like it, the others like 50-20 whatever they are not adding anything to game, just more kicking I think.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I'm tipping Reds bounce-back - to win by 2 tries.

Not a bad call!

I've just caught up with the game (family commitments interrupting things grrr).

So firstly, where are the twerps who were calling for Thorn's head just a week ago?

Simply awesome defensive effort by Reds in the second half. Rebels threw everything including the kitchen sink but just could not score. Didn't help with the high casualty rate but that attrition was both sides.

I just want to make a shout out to Cameron Lillicrap, surely fast becoming the most valuable commodity in Australian rugby.

BPA sorted the throw, and while the line out improved vastly there were still issues. We need to keep working through it, good signs tonight.

Rebels, wow, commiserations. On many levels deserved better than the result just breaking down the Reds proved crazy. My mind is turning on Hodge at 15, very good bloke.

Loved the battle in game play between Tupou and Pone. Pone, mate, just awesome and you seriously gave Tupou something to think about. Points to Tupou though.

Jeez I'm loving S Au.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Interesting to see the difference between how Tom Banks and Jock Campbell handled the Rebels kicking game.....

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
How good will Pone be with another season of emersion in the professional environment, a bit more conditioning and work on scrummaging technique and he will be a serious contender for the Wallabies 3 jersey alongside Tupou and AAA.

Reactions: dru

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Interesting to see the difference between how Tom Banks and Jock Campbell handled the Rebels kicking game...

I'm not sure Jock won that battle, and more the point I think Hodge is really shaping up at 15.

Hegarty, JOC (James O'Connor) and Stewart also had a lot to do with the Reds kicking game.