• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby AU Round 8 - Brumbies vs Waratahs @ Canberra Stadium - Saturday 22 August @ 7.15pm

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
The Lonergans’ parents emailed the team manager and said either both play or neither of them play so McKellar was forced to include them both.

It's a nice little sentimental touch regardless, possible they were always going to do it for one game and maybe they'd rather disrespect the Tahs than the Force, Rebels game will be too important.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
It's a nice little sentimental touch regardless, possible they were always going to do it for one game and maybe they'd rather disrespect the Tahs than the Force, Rebels game will be too important.
I don’t think it’s that much of a risk really. Ryan has shown he’s good enough and when the pressure was on in Hamilton Lachlan stepped up and made a try saving one on one.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Big call to ask Kata to defend at outside centre too especially with Maddock's line busting form at present.

That could prove to be the biggest call of all.

Reckon the team makeup will see a changed game plan but I'm not about to disclose my insights here.

Some really interesting contests in prospect. Douglas and Neville against Hanigan and Simmons. Waratahs strong in the air and Brumbies strong on the ground. McCaffrey v Swinton; creativity v mongrel. Kata v Walton; power against skills. Keunzle v Harrison-two developing players of different styles.

I know Ramm has 14 on his back but my impression is that he plays predominantly on the left side which puts him head to head with Wright. Another salivating contest with ramifications for the Wallabies.

Tahs by 8 or more.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

Reckon the team makeup will see a changed game plan but I'm not about to disclose my insights here.

Some really interesting contests in prospect. Douglas and Neville against Hanigan and Simmons. Waratahs strong in the air and Brumbies strong on the ground. McCaffrey v Swinton; creativity v mongrel. Kata v Walton; power against skills. Keunzle v Harrison-two developing players of different styles.

I know Ramm has 14 on his back but my impression is that he plays predominantly on the left side which puts him head to head with Wright. Another salivating contest with ramifications for the Wallabies.

Tahs by 8 or more.

Be interesting to see if Wright gets any ball with Kata on his inside.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

Tahs by 8 or more.

Penney is going to be pissed off. I believe he trawls this place looking for your insights on how the Brumbies will play

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
The defending team can only legally sack a maul before it forms, which in practical terms, means immediately the moment the jumper hits the ground.
Added to that, the ripper must also act at that moment as well, otherwise it's obstruction
Therefore timing is critical and sometimes attacking teams get a bit ahead of themselves

I guess I've just been thinking and looking at the defending aspect of the modern maul lately, but there seems to be a degree of acceptance from refs around a maul formation looking to be dictated a lot by the attacking team with handoff, other players joining arguably in very tight timeframes that are potentially before it should be technically allowed in a number of occassions. The 'alongside' aspect is a little interesting at times too. Anyway, its a thing of beauty when down well, but just interesting to reflect on what seems to be allowed or not by refs.

hence why if the defending teams opt not to engage, and the attacking team forms a maul, its considered an obstruction also. I haven't seen that tactic used for a while though, so maybe its not allowed anymore.

Doesn't happen alot if you are 5m's out.

There have been a few tweaks to mauls, esp. the ripper law change back in ~2016/17. It's all covered in the Game Management Guidelines.

https://australia.rugby/-/media/rug...f?la=en&hash=FBB6A9AEA04C8E07531F26C2773FC1DA

Good point.

the whole thing is complicated by the fact that it's a lineout and the defending team is not allowed to leave the lineout until it's finished/completed (penalty)

Aside from that, if the attacking team advance without a maul being formed, they should be told to 'use it'. Unless this, unless that..etc

The reality is that it was too complicated/risky to use as a proper tactic (too many things could go wrong) so it was dropped, a bit like Italy's no-ruck-engage thingo against England. :)

The whole aspect of a proper contest in having access to the jumper with the ball is a little interesting with the two lifters either side. I'm always curious when the defending teams seem to engage so high and upright in defence.

The Italian tactic was pretty fun to watch :)

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
I think this is a nod to the future as Lonergan is a gun. I think Powell is poised to move (will still play a role this year as his experience will be needed) but next year also certain to see White/Lonergan

I was wondering this a little, if it isn't an eye to the future somewhat. I also think there were some genuine question marks the last time the Brumbies played the Tahs. Anyway, I've got to say this is part of what I've loved about this SRAU, seeing all this next gen get some genuine game time, it's been great.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I guess I've just been thinking and looking at the defending aspect of the modern maul lately, but there seems to be a degree of acceptance from refs around a maul formation looking to be dictated a lot by the attacking team with handoff, other players joining arguably in very tight timeframes that are potentially before it should be technically allowed in a number of occassions. The 'alongside' aspect is a little interesting at times too. Anyway, its a thing of beauty when down well, but just interesting to reflect on what seems to be allowed or not by refs.

Doesn't happen alot if you are 5m's out.

There have been a few tweaks to mauls, esp. the ripper law change back in ~2016/17. It's all covered in the Game Management Guidelines.

https://australia.rugby/-/media/rug...f?la=en&hash=FBB6A9AEA04C8E07531F26C2773FC1DA

The whole aspect of a proper contest in having access to the jumper with the ball is a little interesting with the two lifters either side. I'm always curious when the defending teams seem to engage so high and upright in defence.

The Italian tactic was pretty fun to watch :)

I have noticed that a few mauls have recently involved players going in front of the ball catcher in what is technically an offside position. Not necessarily pointing fingers but Isi Naisarani seems to be the culprit on occasion.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
PLUS500 BRUMBIES ROUND EIGHT TEAM
1. James Slipper
2. Connal McInerney
3. Allan Ala'alatoa (c)
4. Murray Douglas
5. Cadeyrn Neville
6. Lachlan McCaffrey
7. Will Miller
8. Pete Samu
9. Ryan Lonergan
10. Bayley Kuenzle
11. Tom Wright
12. Irae Simone
13. Solomone Kata
14. Andy Muirhead
15. Tom Banks

REPLACEMENTS
16. Lachlan Lonergan
17. Scott Sio
18. Tom Ross
19. Darcy Swain
20. Rob Valetini
21. Tom Cusack
22. Nic White
23. Len Ikitau

What has happened with Mack Hansen?

And btw glad Bayley not pulled out of squad as young talent who had really good first couple of games and then not so good last game but not to my mind you pull a young player at this point as needs to be given a run, and avoid knee jerk reactions as got to expect odd bad game etc and let them learn..

But still what has happened with Mack Hasen as would have thought on the bench.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Brums obviously think they can afford to rest a few key players for this, and on form over the year you would have to agree. It's still a tough ask for the Tahs, Walton and HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) in for Faulkner and Foketi drops the average age considerably, although I'm happy with both those.
TK won't be missed by the Brums on recent form, I have no idea whether Kata has experience at 13, can someone advise? McCaffery's work rate and in-your-face attitude for Valetini's bulk and power, interesting to see the outcome.

Can't wait to see what Kata offers closer in as the guy is a pocket rocket - and got a bit of Ma'a Nonu about him

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
What has happened with Mack Mason?

And btw glad Bayley not pulled out of squad as young talent who had really good first couple of games and then not so good last game but not to my mind you pull a young player at this point as needs to be given a run, and avoid knee jerk reactions as got to expect odd bad game etc and let them learn..

But still what has happened with Mack Mason as would have thought on the bench.

Mason has never played for the Brumbies.........

MarkJ

Bob Loudon (25)
So I guess Simone moves to 10 if Kuenzle gets injured, with maybe Wright to 12, Ikitau to 13 and Kata to the wing?