• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby AU Round 8 - Brumbies vs Waratahs @ Canberra Stadium - Saturday 22 August @ 7.15pm

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Hmm.. interesting game. Some really odd calls at points and then some downright shockers. I feel like the Tahs are a real confidence team. I do wonder how things might have gone had Dempsey got over early for that try and that shocker of a Brumbies try TMO call been correctly called.

Actually I think it's an issue for many AU teams. We haven't seen many games swing once one team seems to get dominance

The lineout really didn't work well for the Tahs tonight. Couldn't work out how much was the Brumbies and how much was the Tahs just not getting it right. Some of Hortons throws were well off the mark. Loosing Hunt I think was a real blow to the Tahs, they really lacked his experience outside Harrison.

I think some people were being a little kind to Lonergan. Great future prospect, but not his finest performance, still much to work on. I'm loving seeing aussie players who can kick. Harrison is just so consistent and some of Kunzels kicking was pretty good too. Vaguely remember him slotting a pretty good kick at Wollongong earlier this year.

Great to see White back. Real competitor, nice pass.

Number 7

Darby Loudon (17)
Harrison had a shocker. Ill caveat it by saying he was behind a badly beaten pack.

He was really disappointing. He’s passing was off tonight and that has been one of the better parts of his game to date. Might be time to give Donaldson a run.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Brumbies owned that, no argument from me. I’m pissed about that first call though. Last week Jake Gordon was pinned for shuffling sideways and had a try disallowed, this week the Brumbies are 5m offside advancing, they go to a TMO review and they still don’t see it. Fuck that.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
He was really disappointing. He’s passing was off tonight and that has been one of the better parts of his game to date. Might be time to give Donaldson a run.

Harrison is 100 x the player Donaldson is, and always has been. Tahs could do no worse than to replace Harrison now.

On tonight's match, Nic White gave a master class of No 9 play when he came on. Brilliant as Tate was and is, Nic needs to be the Wallaby No 9 for his experience and cool head. Tate to learn from him and come on with 15 to 20 to go.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Brumbies owned that, no argument from me. I’m pissed about that first call though. Last week Jake Gordon was pinned for shuffling sideways and had a try disallowed, this week the Brumbies are 5m offside advancing, they go to a TMO review and they still don’t see it. Fuck that.
What annoyed me about that was that Gardner asked for the offside to be checked after seeing on the big screen that Lonergan was offside. Why didn’t he pipe up?

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
My guess UTG is that having called it into question he wasn't then willing to go against the TMO's call.

I agree, it was offside. Could have had an impact of the rest of the game but at 12-11 at half time, the Tahs were still in it had they been good enough.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
My guess UTG is that having called it into question he wasn't then willing to go against the TMO's call.

I agree, it was offside. Could have had an impact of the rest of the game but at 12-11 at half time, the Tahs were still in it had they been good enough.
I’m not making any argument about the result, it was just so shockingly bad that it warrants further questioning.

I find it strange they put something like foul play on the screen for the referee to rule on but something like this Gardner can’t step in and at least ask for a second look.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
A highlight of the game for me was Tom Wright's second try. Off a poor Tahs lineout, ball secured by Nic White, on to Keunzle who made ground and passed to Simone who threw (note, not through) at least a 20m pass onto Wright's chest for him to stroll over. Crusader-esque in the ability to turn defense into attack. Simone has simply the best and most accurate long pass in Aussie rugby.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)

Yeah I’m not claiming it affected the result. It certainly may have made it a lot closer. The issue is it was clearly offside - and properly clearly - yet was let go. Compared to last week, where Jake may have been marginally offside if you get the forensic department involved.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I don’t think SuperAU has been good for Gardner’s reputation. The younger referees who have been given an opportunity have been far better imo.

Number 7

Darby Loudon (17)
I don’t think SuperAU has been good for Gardner’s reputation. The younger referees who have been given an opportunity have been far better imo.
I agree. His scrum interpretations have been bewildering at times. I never noticed them being that bad in previous games. He actually looks confused at times. I hope it’s just a case Of being a good ref out of form.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Yeah I’m not claiming it affected the result.

I am. It did. It would be oxymoron to say otherwise. How much it affected things we will never know. Confidence can ebb a flow on that scoreline. But then refs and officials have always been part of the game so it is nothing new. You have to play what is in front of you. The better team won tonight so in the scheme of the game as a whole it wasn't the stinker it could have been.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I thought that both Simmo and Hanigan had a great first half. Did not continue though.
As did Swinton - so in perspective thought good game first half but yes really fell away second half - so shows tahs can play good footy - also a case of weak tahs bench vs strong brumbies bench which compounded second half result

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I am. It did. It would be oxymoron to say otherwise. How much it affected things we will never know. Confidence can ebb a flow on that scoreline. But then refs and officials have always been part of the game so it is nothing new. You have to play what is in front of you. The better team won tonight so in the scheme of the game as a whole it wasn't the stinker it could have been.
Yes true, what I was saying was that the Brumbies were clearly the better team and would have won regardless. I still maintain that but you are right, who knows what the psychological impact would have been for both teams if the Tahs went to the break with a lead.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
didn't notice him till the 50th minute.
I would concur with this. I watched the game live at the pub over dinner so am just subjecting myself to a proper watch now. Having read this comment beforehand I have been making a point of watching him, but even then I’m struggling to find him. I’m only at half time though, maybe he has a stormer if a second half.

It’s also the first time I’ve heard the commentary around the Lonergan non-offside call.

Hanigan was the best on field in the first half, but playing like a back rower. I can see why he is bracketed as a 6 in Rennies latest PONI list.

Reactions: TSR

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I would concur with this. I watched the game live at the pub over dinner so am just subjecting myself to a proper watch now. Having read this comment beforehand I have been making a point of watching him, but even then I’m struggling to find him. I’m only at half time though, maybe he has a stormer if a second half.

A couple of great runs down the tram lines in the final 30, he looked really strong and quick. Makes you wonder why he couldn't use his body for the first 50.