• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby AU - Semi Final - Reds v Reb

dru

Tim Horan (67)
These two battling out for 4th choice 12. To'omua and now Kerevi ahead (even JOC (James O'Connor)). Then Simone.. then these two. Stewart’s age obviously means he has time to move up the ranks

Perhaps. 12 is resolved in the short term with To'omua. Or JOC (James O'Connor). Kerevi returning would be with little match fitness and dictates a certain kind a game plan that may or may not suit Rennie. If it does, fine. Simone has been rated highly by many but I dont think he is a nat's whisker above Stewart.

I wouldn't select Stewart there, but I dont think he is far behind. Ditto Meakes.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
He's certainly better at running the ball! But has he got a better kick? Does he put people in holes better? Does he defend better? Is a quality backline better with him or worse?

This. And how good is his distribution? Are we playing a 12 man game or are we playing a full back line?

Only Rennie has those answers but there is a game plan where 10: JOC (James O'Connor) 12: Stewart 13: Petaia makes perfect sense. At international level.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
This. And how good is his distribution? Are we playing a 13 man game or are we playing a full back line?

Only Rennie has those answers but there is a game plan where 10: JOC (James O'Connor) 12: Stewart 13: Petaia makes perfect sense. At international level.
Stewart out for To'omua and you have a backline.

I'd put a tenner on the first backline being:
9. McDermott 10. JOC (James O'Connor) 12. To'omua 13. Petaia

B

Bobby Sands

This. And how good is his distribution? Are we playing a 12 man game or are we playing a full back line?

Let’s hope so.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Sad Pone isn't fit for this one.

Must admit I am worried this may be like another Waratahs loss. Rebels basically playing a game plan to nullify our strengths, thus frustrating a young team and throwing them off balance.

I see Wilkins and Hardwick making life difficult for Mcreight and Wright, essentially keeping them out of the game. I see Naisarani and Hosea out-enthusing Wilson and Blyth.

If we can't win scum penalties I think it will be a tough day at the office.

So many battles across the park are perfect counters or neutralizers - so much similarity between the teams
Uelese v Amosa
Hosea v Blyth
Phillips v LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
Wilkins v Wright
Hardwick v Mcreight
To'omua v JOC (James O'Connor)
Koroibete v Daugunu

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
I disagree that Wilkins & Hardwick can/will nullify Wright & McReight, I think Wright & McReight will be significantly better then there Rebels counterparts.
While I agree across the park there are so many match-ups and counters, I think in general the Reds slightly win more of the match ups. The only match up I think the Rebels clearly outright win is Koro vs CFS.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Sad Pone isn't fit for this one.

Must admit I am worried this may be like another Waratahs loss. Rebels basically playing a game plan to nullify our strengths, thus frustrating a young team and throwing them off balance.

I see Wilkins and Hardwick making life difficult for Mcreight and Wright, essentially keeping them out of the game. I see Naisarani and Hosea out-enthusing Wilson and Blyth.

If we can't win scum penalties I think it will be a tough day at the office.

So many battles across the park are perfect counters or neutralizers - so much similarity between the teams
Uelese v Amosa
Hosea v Blyth
Phillips v LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
Wilkins v Wright
Hardwick v Mcreight
To'omua v JOC (James O'Connor)
Koroibete v Daugunu

Your pessimism excites me but the Reds will come good, don't you worry. Just hoping that we see some good rugby.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Your pessimism excites me but the Reds will come good, don't you worry. Just hoping that we see some good rugby.

It is the finals. Good rugby does not rate other than as a consequence. Anyone playing here should have one thing and one thing only in mind. A "W".

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
The only match up I think the Rebels clearly outright win is Koro vs CFS.

I think we are ahead in the 2nd row, i'd take the Rebels locks combined over the Reds. I also take Uelese throwing over Amosa every day of the week.

If the Rebels kicking game is on, I think they have a chance. The main Reds player I would love in our line up in McDermott, I don't rate Lomani at all.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I think we are ahead in the 2nd row, i'd take the Rebels locks combined over the Reds. I also take Uelese throwing over Amosa every day of the week.

If the Rebels kicking game is on, I think they have a chance. The main Reds player I would love in our line up in McDermott, I don't rate Lomani at all.

The Reds backrow, I reckon, should win it.