• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby AU Team of the Week

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
In the hope of not filling up wallabies 2020 thread with endless variations of who would play where I invite you to pick a weekly Wallaby 23. We will open a new thread every week after the last Super Rugby AU game.

Team Template

1. loosehead
  2. Hooker
  3. Tighthead
  4. Loosehead Lock
  5. Tighthead Lock
  6. Blindeside
  7. Openside
  8. 8 man
  9. Halfback
  10. Flyhalf
  11. Left Wing
  12. Inside Center
  13. Outside Center
  14. Right Wing
  15. Fullback
  16. Reserve Hooker
  17. Reserve Loosehead
  18. reserve Tighthead
  19. Reserve Lock
  20. Reserve Backrower
  21. Reserve back or Forward
  22. Reserve Halfback
  23. Reserve utility back
Rule suggestions.
1. Should players from teams on the bye be included?
2. Can players be picked in different positions to the one they played in this round?

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
In the hope of not filling up wallabies 2020 thread with endless variations of who would play where I invite you to pick a weekly Wallaby 23. We will open a new thread every week after the last Super Rugby AU game.
Rule suggestions.

1. Should players from teams on the bye be included?
2. Can players be picked in different positions to the one they played in this round?
1. If its a team of the round then no.
2. Sure as long as it makes sense. E.g. picking an 8 at 6, 10 at 12, etc.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
It would be a great initiative to then post a 'GAGR team of the round' based on the teams selected. And then a "GAGR Wallabies 23" at the end of it all. I don't mind being the stats master for now, once we get to September I get a bit busy though.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
1. Slipper
2. FF (Folau Fainga'a)
3. Tupou
4. Philip
5. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
6. Wilson
7. Wright
8. Naisarani
9. McDermott
10. JOC (James O'Connor)
11. Koroibete
12. Simone
13. TK
14. Petaia
15. Banks
16. Uelese
17. Sio
18. AAA
19. Blyth
20. Samu
21. Powell
22. To'omua
23. Wright

Valetini very unlucky but I think Wilson is just too good not to have in the side and classy Pete is better bench coverage. Banks gets 15 with DHP injured. AAA is a great player but Tupou is just a freak and it’s time for him to start.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
OK, for the purpose of this exercise should I give everyone in the 23 one point, or the players in the 15 one point and the bench half a point?

And I need a cut off time. Tues night for Wednesday circulation?

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Ill have a go. No picking them out of position and no Tahs. Just form from this round.

1. Slipper
2. FF (Folau Fainga'a)
3. Tupou
4. Phillip
5. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
6. Valetini
7. Wright
8. Naisarani
9. Powell
10. JOC (James O'Connor)
11. MK
12. Simone
13. Paisami
14. Petaia
15. Campbell

16. BPA
17. Sio
18. AAA
19. Blyth
20. Wilson
21. McDermott
22. To'omua
23. Daugunu

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
OK, for the purpose of this exercise should I give everyone in the 23 one point, or the players in the 15 one point and the bench half a point?

And I need a cut off time. Tues night for Wednesday circulation?

Yeah, That sounds good.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Is something like this example the simplest?

James Slipper gets the most votes for loosehead this week, he becomes the loosehead for the team of the week. At the end of the comp tally how many appearances Slipper gets in the team of the week. If it’s the most then he is the loosehead of the comp. Do the same for bench players.

I guess someone who is shifted around different positions may miss out e.g. Petaia but you at least get a name for each spot rather than a list of players who are in the 23 but with an uncertain position.

rugboy

Bob Loudon (25)
How do you account for the first 3 rounds if you are going to have a team of the comp at the end? Should it just be 1 - 15 get points? What is the make up of the bench?

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
How do you account for the first 3 rounds if you are going to have a team of the comp at the end? Should it just be 1 - 15 get points? What is the make up of the bench?
You’d just start the tally from now. The makeup of the bench is whatever people think is appropriate.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
I'm selecting from all five teams
Slipper
FF (Folau Fainga'a)
AAA
LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
Philip
Wright
Hooper
Isi
McDermott
JOC (James O'Connor)
Daugunu
To'omua
TK
Korobeite
DHP

BPA
Sio
Thor
Simmons
Wilson
White
Simone
Petaia

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Ok so thinking about this, here’s what I propose:

pick 1-23 but I’ll only record a point for each player in their respective 1-15 jersey. So for example if you think Hooper and Wright both had blinders and pick Hooper at 6, he will only get that point recorded for the 6 jersey, it won’t count towards the open side vote. For players 16-23 you have to use Sullys guidelines but I’ll keep a separate spreadsheet and these points won’t count towards the positional vote but will be used to decide a draw etc. If you pick a prop in jersey 22, doesn’t count, have to pick a balanced bench.

Does that make sense?

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Maybe later this week (say Wed-Fri), so as not to confuse things, we can have a vote on the first 4 rounds. Don’t do it now though!

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I'm selecting from all five teams
Slipper
FF (Folau Fainga'a)
AAA
LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
Philip
Wright
Hooper
Isi
McDermott
JOC (James O'Connor)
Daugunu
To'omua
TK
Korobeite
DHP

BPA
Sio
Thor
Simmons
Wilson
White
Simone
Petaia
First public crucifixion, you have to justify why you think Hooper, DHP and Simmons played better than the blokes who actually played. Votes don’t count unless you do.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Okay, I need to understand what we're trying to do here.
Are we picking our team based on what our Wallaby side would look like based the form displayed, or is it just the TOW?
Because, if I have to justify why they 'played better than those who actually played' which of course is a stupid thing to say, well we are just picking a TOW.
If, however, I am picking people who may be a better option than those who played (read what you said in post#2), then yes, I can do that. Quite simply, I didn't think any 7 played well enough to displace Hooper, nor did I think and 15 did enough to displace DHP. As to Simmons, given the lack of experience in the forwards, I though Simmons experience being available to Rennie of the bench was a better option then the alternative.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Okay, I need to understand what we're trying to do here.
Are we picking our team based on what our Wallaby side would look like based the form displayed, or is it just the TOW?
Because, if I have to justify why they 'played better than those who actually played' which of course is a stupid thing to say, well we are just picking a TOW.
If, however, I am picking people who may be a better option than those who played (read what you said in post#2), then yes, I can do that. Quite simply, I didn't think any 7 played well enough to displace Hooper, nor did I think and 15 did enough to displace DHP. As to Simmons, given the lack of experience in the forwards, I though Simmons experience being available to Rennie of the bench was a better option then the alternative.

yeah it's a TOW. Sorry if you didn't gel with my lame humour. Just pick the best player of the round in each position, it's cumulative.

Edit: I've edited post #2, at that point I was also looking for guidance so apologise for the confusion.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
My assumption was that it was essentially based on the team of the week concept but just with the provision that the players are a realistic change of being a Wallaby player in that position. So, for example Scott Malolua & Dane Zander would both be out, the first because he is ineligible and the second because he is not realistically in squad contention. Otherwise both could have arguably been a consideration for some.

If it’s open to all comers then it’s just the TOTW (which is fine). If it’s just the current Wallaby selection in each of our opinions then we might as well merge it back into the previous thread.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I’ll post a team - but with ether caveat that I missed most of the Force v Rebels game. Happy for my selections not to go to the table since i only watched one game -

1. Sio
2 Fainga’a
3. Tupou
4. Salakaia-Loto
5. Frost
6. Samu
7. Wright
8. Wilson
9. Powell
10. JOC (James O'Connor)
11. Petaia
12. Simone