• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby Rd 10 Waratahs v Rebels

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Looked pretty truck & trailer to me in that maul just before the try.

Definite truck and trailer with Bell, I think, detaching in front of the maul and hindering a Rebels defender. Then the try was given a phase later when there was an obvious Tahs leg obstructing the defence. Should not have been awarded for either reason.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Nice comments from Perese re his mental health and prep before games.

Yeah loved that bit - bit of reading between the lines but young often men make stupid decisions if they're not focused/have no sense of responsibilty.

Sounded a lot like he's found both again, and his form seems to mirror that.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I just watched the game as I was out last night, I agree with most of the comments around the Tahs being poor, but geez there is some potential there. I can see us winning at least one TT game and I reckon we will be 3rd next year. 2023 we will hold up the AU trophy.

Th0mo

Allen Oxlade (6)
Thought the RC was harsh. Isi had the lock lined up to hit him around the midriff, but he, the lock, ducked into the tackle. YC at most imo.

These these are the mitigations.

Line of sight - clear so nothing here
• Sudden and significant drop or movement - yes the ball carrier reduced height but not suddenly and was not especially or unexpectedly low
• Clear attempt to change height - no corresponding adjustment by tackler
• Level of control - nothing here
• Upright - passive vs dynamic - tackler wasn’t passive and upright so no help here either

There is a little more wiggle room than the old guidelines but if you line up a big hit same onus to get it right remains.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I just watched the game as I was out last night, I agree with most of the comments around the Tahs being poor, but geez there is some potential there. I can see us winning at least one TT game and I reckon we will be 3rd next year. 2023 we will hold up the AU trophy.

Just finished this morning watching the game. I thought it was enjoyable game to watch. Rebels defence to me made the difference.

I agree there is at least signs of improvement. Perese and Foketi as centre combo continue to impress and in previous years was not a fan of Foketi but he has looked good this year.

Reactions: TSR

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
No, it just means they were evenly matched.

uni v woods was also a cracking match.
that doesn’t mean they can compete against teams in a better grade.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
This was a disappointing performance by the Waratahs. After a couple of stronger performances this was really their chance to secure a win and they played well below that standard.

Gave up very soft tries to open the game and the discipline overall was poor.

When you're an average side you can't afford to be gifting so many points and expect to stay competitive.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
These these are the mitigations.

Line of sight - clear so nothing here
• Sudden and significant drop or movement - yes the ball carrier reduced height but not suddenly and was not especially or unexpectedly low
• Clear attempt to change height - no corresponding adjustment by tackler
• Level of control - nothing here
• Upright - passive vs dynamic - tackler wasn’t passive and upright so no help here either

There is a little more wiggle room than the old guidelines but if you line up a big hit same onus to get it right remains.

Good post.

People need to stop suggesting that a ball carrier getting a bit lower as they brace for contact is a sudden drop in body height. It is a normal reduction of body height that every tackler has to expect.

The mitigating circumstance of a sudden drop in body height refers to a player slipping over or similar. It is not at all intended to provide an excuse for a high tackle because the tackler lined up a player who was running completely upright prior to entering the tackle.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
The Tahs were horrible, from the moment they got all excited from the kick off and then didn't have a defensive line to the diabolical lineout work