• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby: Rd 2. NSW Waratahs v Crusaders, Sat Mar 2

NSFW vs Cantabs

• I hope they both lose.

Votes: 13 36.1%
  • When Death Stars collide

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • NSW for the massive upset here.

Votes: 17 47.2%
  • Cantabs dynasty in tatters.

Votes: 5 13.9%
  • TATTERS.

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • Melbourne? Wut? They blew all the $$ now they're getting handed more?

Votes: 5 13.9%
  • Cantabs by 60

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • not watching this *****

Votes: 6 16.7%

• Total voters

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Great win for the Tahs. So many contributors across the park. I too noticed that they had flattened up their attack and it looked heaps better. There are some young blokes in this side that will benefit immensely from the belief that this kind of win can bring.

Bell was excellent in the loose, he's a really damaging runner in the narrow channels now and does all of the other things a prop should do to go with it. Future Wallaby captain written all over him.

Sinclair and Holloway were great in the second row, offering plenty in the lineout and the collisions. Vailanu was a pest in the loose too. Great to see Fergus back in Australia as well. He's got that good amount of mongrel that you want in a 6.

I'm more and more impressed by Joey Walton too. He's got a good boot, runs great angles and has good hands to go with it.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Forwards really did lay a great platform. Particularly in defence where they harassed the hell out of the Crusaders.

But I did enjoy watching the performance of the rather unheralded centre pairing. I thought Walton and Wilson played terrific alround games. It is great to see an increasing number of well rounded centres in the Aussie game across the franchises who can kick, pass, run & tackle as needed/suits the situation.

A couple of classy touches from Jorgenson too.

I noticed that also. At least a couple of their tries came from that "pack of wild dogs" attitude that got the ball turned over. I'm a big fan of it in any team.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
After watching all the kiwi teams I have come to the sad realisation that saders are currently the worst kiwi side, still a great win but .......
Maybe. But it must be said you guys made them look shit. And, from all accounts, the Chiefs couldn’t do that the previous week.

Maybe your last line should be ‘still a great win though!’

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
Never been a real Hanigan fan but acknowledge he made a physical impact off the bench. Looks like he’s been on the roids as appears super buffed. Hopefully that result will add 5000 to Fridays gate at Allianz. Surely the Tahs deserve a crowd of 20,000 for the Highlanders game.
He isn't that old is he ?

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
Not sure if there is a discussion about super round on another chat but it has to stop in Melbourne. It's not a good look for the game when casuals see it and there is no one there. Brisbane, Cairns, Perth, should be the options. Or share it around each year

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Not sure if there is a discussion about super round on another chat but it has to stop in Melbourne. It's not a good look for the game when casuals see it and there is no one there. Brisbane, Cairns, Perth, should be the options. Or share it around each year
I understand it is a Victorian Government funded thing, if other governments want to pony up ....................... well let them go at it

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Yeah, Super Round relies on Super Rugby existing. We'll see how that plays out first.

We need Gov to fund these things currently. I agree that a moving festival could be a good way to do it but would need to be self funded. I think most cities would do it well and get good crowds if it only came to town once a decade.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
According to the official Super Rugby site, Ned Hanigan made 16 tackles without a miss in roughly 29 minutes he was on the field. Incredible. For reference Gamble who was widely considered as having an excellent game, made 21 tackles in 80 minutes.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Honest truth? If they insist on having it, take it to Japan/USA or likewise.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
According to the official Super Rugby site, Ned Hanigan made 16 tackles without a miss in roughly 29 minutes he was on the field. Incredible. For reference Gamble who was widely considered as having an excellent game, made 21 tackles in 80 minutes.
Gamble, Lee-Warner & Hanigan tackled the Crusaders out of it.

You could see it in that period where Aus teams can be run over Hanigan came on and kept the defence going.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Never been a real Hanigan fan but acknowledge he made a physical impact off the bench. Looks like he’s been on the roids as appears super buffed. Hopefully that result will add 5000 to Fridays gate at Allianz. Surely the Tahs deserve a crowd of 20,000 for the Highlanders game.
He has been quite good for a number of years, he initially had issues in contact, but those days are well and truly gone.

Penny said that when coaching the Tahs he had to cut the budget by $1 mil, I think that is why he ended up in the Japanese second division

He will never be the greatest 5/6 in the world, but you can bank his minimum effort every week and you need units in your squad to make up for the randoms

Reactions: TSR

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Vailanu was outstanding, I thought. Looked as though he was enjoying himself, too.

He always does. I happened to be at NSW HQ one night as he and Tiaan Tauakipulu were leaving - was the week after he'd scored the winning try against the Highlanders? Anyway, I stuck my hand out and said "Here he is - the match winner!" and he just put on the biggest grin and shook my hand.

He's not the biggest, but what's that saying about size of the fight in the dog?

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
Note for all future restart receipts - Joey Walton to make every exit kick. His second half exit from a kick-off that ended up with a Crusaders line-out 30 m from their line? Amazing.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Note for all future restart receipts - Joey Walton to make every exit kick. His second half exit from a kick-off that ended up with a Crusaders line-out 30 m from their line? Amazing.

I'm hoping Stan Sport can provide a different replay of this kick because the telecast featured an overhead shot from above the stadium and you couldn't see anything.

You did hear one of the Tahs players yell out "great fucking hit Joey" as soon as it sailed off his boot.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I'm hoping Stan Sport can provide a different replay of this kick because the telecast featured an overhead shot from above the stadium and you couldn't see anything.

You did hear one of the Tahs players yell out "great fucking hit Joey" as soon as it sailed off his boot.
It is nice to see the team now have multiple kicking options - all with length, much harder for chasers to focus and pressure that lone kicker

dusk

Cyril Towers (30)
After watching all the kiwi teams I have come to the sad realisation that saders are currently the worst kiwi side, still a great win but .......
You say this, yet the Crusaders took the Chiefs (at the Chiefs) to a 4 point margin. Chiefs also had a much stronger side on paper. A lot of praise has to go towards to the Waratahs to close that margin.

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
It is nice to see the team now have multiple kicking options - all with length, much harder for chasers to focus and pressure that lone kicker
What I liked about Walton was he was always pumping the boys up during the game. Yelling and screaming in support - real passion. love it!
Big game on Friday night.