• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby Rd2 2020: Brumbies v Rebels

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I'm surprised the Brumbies didn't have Lonergan convert that last try?

He's easily the best goal kicker in the squad...

Seems they are giving Lolesio every opportunity to prove he is the No 10 they want. Unfortunately, he's not. Very good skills but not a No 10.

S

Show-n-go

Noak has excellent skills as a player but still a bit deficient in his game management. Don't think he is the answer at No 10.

Think he will be a really good 12, good to get him playing 10 now till his body fills out a little more and he has to do some more heavy lifting

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Matt To'omua is awful. Not a good accomplishment. Lolesio looks a better 12 to me than a 10.

Pone's Mullet

Dave Cowper (27)
Dickie, Wells and Isi seemed a much better back row.

Hopefully we can keep the intensity shown in the 2nd half for 80 mins next week

M10

Stan Wickham (3)
Good game from Lolesio I thought, he'll be keeping the 10 jersey for a while longer with play like that. Haylett-Petty was all class as well (aside from the one poor kick). I did want to take the chance to comment on what I thought was the worst performance of the night - the ref. It could just be that all the off-season smoke has softened my memory, but I can't remember seeing such a poor display for a long time. Everything just seemed to be a lottery, but particularly the scrums and breakdowns. He wasn't getting much help from his ARs, so that could have been part of the problem

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Dickie, Wells and Isi seemed a much better back row.

Hopefully we can keep the intensity shown in the 2nd half for 80 mins next week
Yep, so much more balance. Wessels is obsessed with picking big boppers over balance, but to do that you need dynamic players that win collisions to compensate. The whole team needs to learn from the Brumbies about doing the simple things right. 3/4 times last night no look passes went to ground in choreographed plays, I can’t remember the Brumbies throwing a single no look pass. The simple things might look limited but are very effective and can lay the foundations for flashy things going forward. The clubs continuance to not form combinations over the NRC and pre-season is just plain stupid. Both games it’s taken 30mins to form connections and a feel for each other. I also don’t understand the reason for resting players from nrc and pre-season, apart from the regular wallabies it’s a short season worth of games and no need to keep players fresh.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
One thing I will say is Im bitterly disappointed we didnt get the bonus point.. It was there on the table. But wins a win and great start boys.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
This looks like a very well-rounded Brumbies side.

Simone keeps playing like this and a gold 12 jersey could be his. Banks vs DHP for the 15 jersey will also be one to watch as the season goes on.

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
Brumbies are looking impressive - seemed ready to pounce on every loose ball and immediately go forward with no hesitation. Samu was very good. I am liking the 10, for a young guy playing his 2nd game he is looking composed, I hope he continues to develop. Rebels came back well, I wasn't watching the 2nd half closely so did the Brumbies get complacent or was it a change in Rebels approach and personnel?

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
I don’t think we’ve been tested by a good team yet. If the Highlanders play next week like they did last night, it won’t test us either. Not willing to make a call on whether we are good or not yet.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I don’t think we’ve been tested by a good team yet. If the Highlanders play next week like they did last night, it won’t test us either. Not willing to make a call on whether we are good or not yet.

I think the Reds where a better team then what you are saying, They have a good pack and a good backline, we had to fight hard to win that game.

I think the Reds will beat alot of teams this season once they click.

B

Bobby Sands

This is a very Tahs post. I think even with a bunch of children we are more than capable of topping the conference. Not to mention supplying half your side as well.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
The Rebels to me look like a side that is loose and undisciplined. I don't think Wessels will last the season at this rate.

The Brumbies on the other hand looked composed and do all the basics well. Samu was great for the first half at least and this young bloke at 10 looks like he could develop into something pretty good, given enough time.