1. Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby Rnd 1 2020: Brumbies v Reds

Discussion in 'Rugby Matches' started by RugbyReg, Jan 26, 2020.

1. Adam84 Chilla Wilson (44)

crowd was reported as about 5,000, which was expected given the fires and the emergency declaration given yesterday
  2. mst Ken Catchpole (46)

Official attendance was just over 7400.
  3. dru Mark Ella (57)

Something important that we’ve missed. As someone who has been critical of the Reds discipline, that was a perfect display last night. Long may it continue and well done Reds.
    mst and wamberal like this.
  4. mst Ken Catchpole (46)

Aside from the heat, this is what would have been influential in the decisions of people from south Canberra to possibly skip the game:

This is a similar view to what we had from our driveway as we left for the game: Fire 1.JPG

These were taken from around the corner from our place during the game: Fire 2.JPG

This was the view on the way home that took a bit of explaining (and reassuring) to the kids especially as we were driving towards it: Fire 3.JPG
  5. Slim 293 George Gregan (70)

Yep, I doubt there were many people in what is the second highest populated district of the ACT who left their homes last night...
    Brumby Runner, Tomikin and mst like this.
  6. Up the Guts Tony Shaw (54)

Enjoyable game, strange having footy in January but there seems to be a nice buzz around the game with all the youngsters coming through. Feel like supporters are more on the same page now the Cheika era is over.
    Brumby Runner likes this.
  7. molman Phil Hardcastle (33)

Wasn't able to watch last night so only just watched the replay this morning. What a great game in trying conditions.

It was funny to reflect on some of the turgid affairs of past years where the commentary would be continually referencing about how soapy the pill is as players continually dropped balls. I thought this game showed much improvement over some of those past years.

I really don't have much to add that hasn't been said. I tend to lean towards perhaps Lucas being better at 15 with Hegarty at 10 but agree its early days. Wilson is as exciting as he has been in NRC/Juniors and has future leadership written all over him, though I do agree that if you look closely there is still room for improvement. Petaia's defensive work and some reads were really poor so hopefully that comes good sooner than later, as usual we might be talking up some players a little before they really have a consistent body of work to back it. JOC had one or two poor decisions but I still feel he was one of the best for the Reds. Just solid. Blyth needs to grow up somewhat and get the silliness out of his game. It's similar for Tupuo who does so well in many aspects but seems to have one or two moments every game that let him down. Wright had a great game. Benefited from some questionable jackals but then was hard done by later.

The Brumbies look to have a better system and cohesion. Samu just continues to go about his business and that backline just seems to be working well with Wright really starting to stand up. Scrum is concerning and I suspect the loss of Carter/Arnold is having more impact on those set pieces than was hoped. Kata made some immediate impact and think will add an extra dimension for the team and Valetini had a great game with some really good work in general play. After his injury I think it will be great to see how much more growth he has as he hopefully gets more minutes in SuperRugby. Brumbies coaches will be looking hard at how to ensure they convert their pressure and territory into points. That early stanza was really not reflected on the scoreboard and I have no doubt some Reds fans were groaning, wondering what kind of season they were in for at that point.

Anyway as I said, enjoyable first Aussie game with lots to improve but also lots to be happy about.
    Dan54, dru, Tomikin and 2 others like this.
  8. mst Ken Catchpole (46)

On a side note, these are the Queenslanders that are welcome in Canberra. This is 4kms from CBR southern suburbs (Tharwa) heading south. They are in the thick of it right now.

fire 4.JPG
    [IMG]
  9. Finsbury Girl Vay Wilson (31)

Lucas was absolutely fine. No ridiculous calls for him to move to FB. Back row good. Need to be smarter at the ruck and shield the ball from peeps coming in from the side. Tate needs to talk more. Seems to be cart blanche at the ruck this year, hopefully we'll wise up next week. Would like to see the truck and trailer to be policed a bit more.

Took foot off the gas in the 2nd half. Should do better next week.
    dru likes this.
  10. Bobby Sands Ken Catchpole (46)

Rodda needs to start, and losing Ruan is not ideal. Reserve props are a mobility concern, Hoopert is needed.

Also very concerning about hooking depth with Amosa injured. Who is next cab to come into squad, Faessler?
    RugbyReg likes this.
  11. RugbyReg George Smith (75)

Sean Farrell?
    Bobby Sands likes this.
  12. Brumby Runner Rod McCall (65)

Pretty much agree on every comment Dru. I will reassure you though that I have exactly the same opinion of Joe Powell. He is super quick (last week ran down a rampaging Koroibete - which other No 9 can lay claim to that?), has excellent defense, both front on and in cover, and probably the best pass by any of the present No 9s. I stand to be corrected, but I cannot recall a single pass from Powell being spilled by the receiver. Certainly very few if any. He also has the knack of hitting the right runner in motion when options present.

Can't find any fault in any of your comments about the game to be truthful.
    dru likes this.
  13. Brumby Runner Rod McCall (65)

Doesn't seem to equate with your observation about the respective kicking abilities of Powell and McDermott, Reg.
  14. Bobby Sands Ken Catchpole (46)

He comes straight onto the bench, but the will obviously need a third hooker in the squad.
  15. RugbyReg George Smith (75)

then watch the game
    RoffsChoice likes this.
  16. Adam84 Chilla Wilson (44)

They won’t take a third hooker to South Africa/Argentina, they rarely do unless one of them is under an injury cloud. Likewise with halfback.

Farrel will be the reserve hooker for this tour, if they take another injury then they might send an sos to either Faessler or Ngauamo.
  17. MarkJ Tom Lawton (22)

Shame he goes and spoils all that good work with a stack of shitty box kicks.
    mst likes this.
  18. dru Mark Ella (57)

As I've said I'm constantly surprised at the general fandom view of Powell. Now kicking is only one part of a 9 game AND it is impacted by the team performance in the danger zone. But I did - for the first half anyway.

0:55 Tate clearance barely clears the 25 leaving Reds pinned. Poor.

6:00 Powell clearance 35m with a safe exit. Good.

7:10 Tate fluffed box gains nothing but confusion among the Reds and advantage tob Brumbies. Very poor.

13:30 Powell clearance from approx 21m to almost half way not out, but the ball had been taken back. Good.

21:04 Powell doubles down on Tates first kick exclaims "fuck me" so I think he agrees. Poor.

28:08 Tate clearance from 10 for line out on 25. Good.

31:11 Powell attempted clearance at approx 35m charged down. I'm not saying very poor as he had insufficient protection in a situation where this should have been afforded by the pack. Poor.

All in all I find this statement incorrect: "Go back and look at his kicking. It was horrible whereas Tate’s was top notch." At any rate the kicking (based on first half) is not enough to make a major claim of one 9 over the other.
  19. RugbyReg George Smith (75)

why was it taken back?
  20. Adam84 Chilla Wilson (44)

Tate at 0:55 and Powell at 13:30 kick exactly the same distance, one is poor, one is good. Must be missing something, clearing 28m from your own try line is a pretty good box kick.

07:10 Tate’s kick gets touched by Swain, had less protection then Powell at 31 mins.. yet Tate was very poor, and Powell was poor?