• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby Rnd 1 2020: Brumbies v Reds

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Tate at 0:55 and Powell at 13:30 kick exactly the same distance, one is poor, one is good. Must be missing something, clearing 28m from your own try line is a pretty good box kick.

07:10 Tate’s kick gets touched by Swain, had less protection then Powell at 31 mins.. yet Tate was very poor, and Powell was poor?

Did not see the touch Adam.

B

Bobby Sands

They won’t take a third hooker to South Africa/Argentina, they rarely do unless one of them is under an injury cloud. Likewise with halfback.

Farrel will be the reserve hooker for this tour, if they take another injury then they might send an sos to either Faessler or Ngauamo.

You need three hookers in a squad as you carry two in game day.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
You need three hookers in a squad as you carry two in game day.

Yep tracking that you need 2 on match day.
However they don’t usually take 3 hookers to South Africa unless one is carrying an injury, and I don’t believe they have this tour either.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
I don't think it's much of a stretch to say that the Reds looked like a team with better match fitness and a better developed plan for how they wanted to play this game. The Reds havles did really well dragging Kata forward and putting kicks behind the Brumbies defensive line. I wish the ref did better on calling Reds backrowers slowing the ball down, but god damn do I respect how well they did that without being called for anything. Am I remembering correctly that LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) swapped sides to support JP after some pressure from AAA, and then Tupou just got to walk over Sio for a half? Some really smart planning and decision making from the Reds coaching team.

Brumbies won because of combinations and individual player quality, not coaching or gameplan. I'm not shittalking JOC (James O'Connor), but it felt like the Reds were much more dangerous when the halves bypassed him and went straight to Petaia, who did a much better job of using his supporting runners and made more of the space on offer; Simone seemed to have a much better idea of when it was a good time to give it to Kuridrani, and when he wanted to get it. Hegarty is really good, but name a better combo than Tom Banks on the angle and an inside pass. Speight got his try from a good set play, Wright from making something out of nothing (say the defenders were bad if you want, he still backed himself against two men near the touchline and beat them). In fact, both Wright and Samu only really made a positive impact on this game because of their talent and ability, because their selfish decision making robbed us of a few good opportunities to score.

Anyway, while I think not having a good plan is the bigger problem, it can be resolved through the season and you can see how the Brumbies could go on to defend the conference title. The Reds have the bigger issue of translating talent and a plan into results, but they look like the second best Aussie team after one round.

B

Bobby Sands

Yep tracking that you need 2 on match day.
However they don’t usually take 3 hookers to South Africa unless one is carrying an injury, and I don’t believe they have this tour either.

Let me re-phrase..

It will be interesting who the third hooker in the QLD Reds squad will be, my guess is that it will be Faessler.

As all teams name two hookers in a game day squad, we will need to find a third hooker.

B

Bobby Sands

I don't think it's much of a stretch to say that the Reds looked like a team with better match fitness and a better developed plan for how they wanted to play this game. The Reds havles did really well dragging Kata forward and putting kicks behind the Brumbies defensive line. I wish the ref did better on calling Reds backrowers slowing the ball down, but god damn do I respect how well they did that without being called for anything. Am I remembering correctly that LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) swapped sides to support JP after some pressure from AAA, and then Tupou just got to walk over Sio for a half? Some really smart planning and decision making from the Reds coaching team.

Brumbies won because of combinations and individual player quality, not coaching or gameplan. I'm not shittalking JOC (James O'Connor), but it felt like the Reds were much more dangerous when the halves bypassed him and went straight to Petaia, who did a much better job of using his supporting runners and made more of the space on offer; Simone seemed to have a much better idea of when it was a good time to give it to Kuridrani, and when he wanted to get it. Hegarty is really good, but name a better combo than Tom Banks on the angle and an inside pass. Speight got his try from a good set play, Wright from making something out of nothing (say the defenders were bad if you want, he still backed himself against two men near the touchline and beat them). In fact, both Wright and Samu only really made a positive impact on this game because of their talent and ability, because their selfish decision making robbed us of a few good opportunities to score.

Anyway, while I think not having a good plan is the bigger problem, it can be resolved through the season and you can see how the Brumbies could go on to defend the conference title. The Reds have the bigger issue of translating talent and a plan into results, but they look like the second best Aussie team after one round.

We will smack you at Suncorp :)

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
then watch the game

Reg, box kicks are one of my per hates in the game. I reckon it is better to put the ball long from your own danger area and work hard to have a good chase. That all means that I think box kicking is the last measure of how good a No 9 has played. Having said that, though, I maintain that Joe Powell has a more accurate and more powerful box kick than other Aussie No 9s. He has the knack of putting the ball just over the sideline when he kicks from inside his 20m line.

On all other skill areas in this particular game, Joe outpointed Tate even though he was operating behind a well beaten pack at set piece.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Game went pretty much as I expected.

Reds don't look coordinated when they have the ball, but the was probably also influenced by the very aggressive defence by the Brumbies in the first 15 minutes or so.

Reds look pretty ok without the ball though.

Don't use JOC (James O'Connor) at 10......... He isn't one. Stuck with Lucas or switch to Hegarty - I don't really care, but whatever way we go we need to pick and stick with it to give it a chance.

Brumbies looked a bit lost for stages there - dunno what that was about.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Not used to being dominated at set piece perhaps Gel. Couldn't use the scrum, in particular, to win penalties and subsequently put the ball deep into the Reds territory where they could set up the Maul?