• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby Rnd 1 2020: Sunwolves v Rebels

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
so ill take first stab at the team for saturday. after watching the last bit of training this morning (forwards only) there could be a couple of surprises. some peeps not fit yet for selection, Tuttle running in rehab, Wilkin training with the main group but then doing rehab afterwards, didnt see Gibbon. neither Erasmus nor Moore likely to be reserve hooker and Uelese supposedly not fit although he was training with the forwards. 14 forwards in the "matchday" group interchanging for line out and scrum. Wessels may go 6/2 on the bench again, if not then, assuming no training accidents or injuries.

1 Sa'aga
2 Rangi
3 Smith
4 RHP
5 Philip
6 Cottrell
7 Leota
8 Naisarani
9 Lomani
10 To'omua
11 Kellaway
12 Meakes
13 Hodge
14 Koroibete
15 DHP

16 Vailuna ? 16
17 Orr 17
18 Ainsley 18
19 Jones 19
20 Wells 20
21 Hardwick 21 Louwrens
22 Louwrens 22 Deegan
23 Deegan 23 English

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
so ill take first stab at the team for saturday. after watching the last bit of training this morning (forwards only) there could be a couple of surprises. some peeps not fit yet for selection, Tuttle running in rehab, Wilkin training with the main group but then doing rehab afterwards, didnt see Gibbon. neither Erasmus nor Moore likely to be reserve hooker and Uelese supposedly not fit although he was training with the forwards. 14 forwards in the "matchday" group interchanging for line out and scrum. Wessels may go 6/2 on the bench again, if not then, assuming no training accidents or injuries.

Snip*

I'd have a few different picks.

I would play Jones at 6. The lineout was a real weapon last year when we had Coleman, Philip, and Jones all on the park.

Assuming, as you said, Gibbon is missing then:

1 Sa'aga
2 Rangi
3 Smith
4 RHP
5 Philip
6 Jones
7 Leota
8 Naisarani
9 Lomani
10 To'omua
11 Koroibete (always at 11)
12 Meakes
13 Hodge
14 Kellaway
15 DHP

16 Uelese (even if half fit)
17 Eloff (if he can play on the LH side)
18 Ainsley
19 Koegelenberg (thought he looked decent in the trials) or Ha'angana
20 Cotterell
21 Wells
22 Louwrens
23 English (if To'omua or DHP go off, Hodge to 10 or 15, Engo to 13)

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)

I would play Jones at 6. The lineout was a real weapon last year when we had Coleman, Philip, and Jones all on the park.

1 Sa'aga
2 Rangi
3 Smith
4 RHP
5 Philip
6 Jones
7 Leota
8 Naisarani
9 Lomani
10 To'omua
12 Meakes
13 Hodge
14 Kellaway
15 DHP

18 Ainsley
20 Cotterell
21 Wells
22 Louwrens

i was basing it on what i saw at training not necessarily what would be best, i agree with the Jones at 6 but that wasnt what was happening. Uelese wont be the reserve hooker, some dude with braids. Cam Orr was packing down at LH. didnt realise Hardwick was also on the injured list (G&G front page), so he wont be in the 23.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
i was basing it on what i saw at training not necessarily what would be best, i agree with the Jones at 6 but that wasnt what was happening. Uelese wont be the reserve hooker, some dude with braids. Cam Orr was packing down at LH. didnt realise Hardwick was also on the injured list (G&G front page), so he wont be in the 23.

I had pretty much forgotten about checking the home page. Sounds like Uelese is out till round 5.

I actually expect Jones to play lock. We're a bit light on there and we have a shit load of backrowers.

Was Rennie at the training that you watched? If he was, did he interact with the players much or just watch from the side?

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
I had pretty much forgotten about checking the home page. Sounds like Uelese is out till round 5.

I actually expect Jones to play lock. We're a bit light on there and we have a shit load of backrowers.

Was Rennie at the training that you watched? If he was, did he interact with the players much or just watch from the side?

Rennie had left or at least i didn't see him.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
It's going to be fascinating to see how the Sunwolves go this year.

I think they will be lucky to win 1 game, a lot of trys against and boost everyone's points difference for the season.

Let's face it, there full time squad is not going to scare anyone. They are a bit different with the number of players from outside the squad at there disposal, just depends on what the higher ups decide to do.

Tex

John Thornett (49)
I think they will be lucky to win 1 game, a lot of trys against and boost everyone's points difference for the season.

Let's face it, there full time squad is not going to scare anyone. They are a bit different with the number of players from outside the squad at there disposal, just depends on what the higher ups decide to do.

Hope you're talking about the moon doggies...

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

1 Sa'aga
2 Rangi
3 Smith
4 RHP
5 Philip
6 Jones
7 Leota
8 Naisarani
9 Lomani
10 To'omua
12 Meakes
13 Hodge
14 Kellaway
15 DHP

18 Ainsley
20 Cotterell
21 Wells
22 Louwrens
With Deegan on the books - better fucken not.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
i was close

Screen Shot 2020-01-30 at 1.03.26 pm.png

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Dafaq is Koro on the right wing??

Otherwise, nice looking team. Can anyone tell me aobut Misa?

I'm been suprised withthe rise of Leota as 7. I always pegged him as a 6/8, btu very happy to be priven wrong.

The 6/2 bench option looks menacing.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Impressed that Leota is picked over Hardwick, well done. With Uelese to come back from injury & Jones to start, that forward pack starts to look a lot better. But agreed, the tight 5 - especially the props will let the Rebels down. Really hoping Orr steps up this year.

Pone's Mullet

Dave Cowper (27)
And Saaga can develop

Impressed that Leota is picked over Hardwick, well done. With Uelese to come back from injury & Jones to start, that forward pack starts to look a lot better. But agreed, the tight 5 - especially the props will let the Rebels down. Really hoping Orr steps up this year.