• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby Rnd 2 2020 Lions v Reds @ Jo'burg - Sunday 12:05am AEDT

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Geez, you weren't wrong :eek:

Jaco Peyper doesn't fuck around when it comes to home teams. As obvious as it gets.

The Lions try just before HT made no sense - Peyper admits they formed a maul and had the ball at the back but says the Reds didn't make contact so no obstruction? Pretty sure I saw Rodda run into them.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
As much as the Reds got screwed over by Jaco, they let themselves down with their lineout defense. Our first best option to defense the lineout & maul is to throw up Rodda / LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) and try to either steal the lineout and/or disrupt the ball and disrupt the resulting maul; the Reds really aren't yet capable of stopping a well organised maul (this is quite concerning given it sounds like this is something the Reds have been working very hard on; and the Reds had a much bigger pack than the Lions). Couple this with our areal work in the lineout being VERY good.

But these issues aside the Reds ought to have won this game, our second string front row REALLY needs to work on there scrimmaging but also our first choice pack really needs to have that killer instinct and really punish teams for their weak scrum. This game was there to be won or lost by our forward pack and they lose it for us. They need to defend the maul better and they couldn't stop it at all.

As for our backs I think we need to bring Paisami in for Petaia, I love Petaia but he's just not getting it done yet; maybe we move him to the wing, although Campbell (IMO surprisingly) has been playing well. I think O'Connor was fine at 10, Stewart was very good in defense and we didn't really see enough of Lucas to draw any conclusions. I'd be happy with any of Lucas, O'Connor of Stewart playing flyhalf for the next games. I suspect against the Jags we'd be going back to Lucas, but Stewart did spend a lot of time at first receiver too. And presumably we can't have O'Connor on the bench.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Any good EXPERIENCED props looking for a sea change?
We are now sorted for hookers and have good depth in the back row. Locks are solid with Blythe being our last option. Games are won up front. JP is a master but needs support. When is Hoopert back?
Our backs were great in defence but our bloody poor kicking killed us. The only change in the backs I would make would be to switch JOC (James O'Connor) and Stewart for our next game and bring Paisami on at the 50 min mark if Petaia is not on the attack.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Poor discipline (again!) and poor field position due to poor/limited clearances cost us the game IMO.

Pretty hard to win a game when you spend most of it defending in your own half.

The odd moment of discipline aside, thought the starting forward pack were great. They were just cooked in the end with “finishers” getting very little time to “finish”.

Front row depth a real concern .

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Anyone else feel it’s obvious that Hegarty should be at 10, Lucas 15, JOC (James O'Connor) 12?
Stewart is a better defender than all three. We need a good kicker at fullback and for goal and Hegarty is the strongest option. JOC (James O'Connor) and Hegarty can control a game whereas Lucas and Stewart are limited. Stewart to flyhalf, JOC (James O'Connor) 12 (directing play) and Hegarty fullback.
Last nights game control in the backs was far better than Round 1.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Incredibly frustrating that, and it started when my internet went down half an hour before kick off. Kicking in play wasn't great but it was discipline that let us down. Take out the avoidable, stupid penalties and we win that one. That said, was really impressed with the defence, particularly from Stewart. Hard to rate O'Connor at flyhalf with so little possession but with the way Stewart went at 12 I'd be very keen to see how a Lucas-Stewart 10-12 goes. Thought the scrum was excellent and not sure about the criticism of Zander, he was a big part of the penalty won by the 6.5-man scrum (A winger can only ever be worth a half a forward). Nasser didn't look up to it but it's hard to tell with that little time on the field.

Even after all that frustration it's always good to take a bp out of South Africa. Hopefully this hard start to the season will be the making and not the breaking of the team.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Reds lost that through field position and kicking again, JOC (James O'Connor) has an absolute shocker with his kicking and so too did Hegarty. They gifted the lions field possession in their own half.

Keep the merry go round of flyhalves coming, because JOC (James O'Connor) ain’t the solution

Yep good players in the 10,12 and 15 axis but we don't know which is their best position ie Hegarty, JOC (James O'Connor), Lucas and Stewart...

Or I guess more to the point we just can't seem to find that top shelf 10 who can control a game...

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
The scrum penalty they earned when both TT and Nasser were in the bin showed just how dominant our scrum was .

Smith moved to THP and they brought on Zander , had Jock Campbell packing in at 6 and won a penalty off an attacking Lions scrum on our 22.

The scrum and attitude in defence was top self , the rest was a little disappointing.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
So only seen highlights but what was the go with that uncontested maul that lead to a try? Thought that was sposed to be obstruction.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
So only seen highlights but what was the go with that uncontested maul that lead to a try? Thought that was sposed to be obstruction.
The ref called that the front man never released the ball - which from my viewing was correct as he still had his hands on it when it was grounded. That is why the commentators were questioning whether the try could really be awarded the the second player (if he was the ball carrier then it was obstruction).

In any case IMO the ref got it right (initially I didn’t think so - but the reply supported his decision IMO).

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
Stewart is a better defender than all three. We need a good kicker at fullback and for goal and Hegarty is the strongest option. JOC (James O'Connor) and Hegarty can control a game whereas Lucas and Stewart are limited. Stewart to flyhalf, JOC (James O'Connor) 12 (directing play) and Hegarty fullback.
Last nights game control in the backs was far better than Round 1.

What exactly are Hegarty's strengths? If you're looking at a limited player with a strong kicking game- you're definitely not getting that.

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)
The ref called that the front man never released the ball - which from my viewing was correct as he still had his hands on it when it was grounded. That is why the commentators were questioning whether the try could really be awarded the the second player (if he was the ball carrier then it was obstruction).

In any case (initially I didn’t - but the reply supported his decision IMO).

If the catcher maintains possession and does not move the ball back I understand that it is not obstruction. But when other players of the catchers team pre bind and create a flying wedge isn’t that against the laws of the game?

Wilson

David Codey (61)
If the catcher maintains possession and does not move the ball back I understand that it is not obstruction. But when other players of the catchers team pre bind and create a flying wedge isn’t that against the laws of the game?

My understanding is the reds have to attempt the tackle through one of the bound players to then make it obstruction but I'm not particularly sure.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Frustrating game to lose. I find it strange that Tupou continues to be a penalty magnet under Thorn, I would have thought Thorn was one of those old school coaches with no time for silly stuff. Hopefully Petaia kicks on in the next few matches, quiet start to the season.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
My understanding is the reds have to attempt the tackle through one of the bound players to then make it obstruction but I'm not particularly sure.
You definitely don't need to attempt a tackle for it to be obstruction. In fact, id argue that obstruction is more common where a player can't attempt a tackle.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Reds lost that through field position and kicking again, JOC (James O'Connor) has an absolute shocker with his kicking and so too did Hegarty. They gifted the lions field possession in their own half.

Keep the merry go round of flyhalves coming, because JOC (James O'Connor) ain’t the solution

I thought that they just hadn't re-calibrated to altitude. Do they take a kicking coach with them when they tour?