• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby Rnd 3: Jaguares v Reds - Buenos Aires Sunday Feb 16 10:00am AEDT

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
The whole interpretation on mauls seems to vary from ref to ref, with the only constant being defensive players are penalised very quickly for pulling it down.

On the Jags second try from a maul, a pod of 5 players clearly detached and drove through over the Reds tryline, the ball carrier and another few players were in a secondary maul with no Reds players bound to them and scored the try. By my read that’s an obstruction but it becomes such a grey area for refs to police so I understand why it happened.

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
In perspective, the Reds had a tough start to the season. Playing 3 games away first up against the Brumbies, Lions and Jaguares was always going to be difficult.

The fact is the Reds were in a position to win all 3 of those and on another day could have been 2 from 3 or 3 from 3 now.

Things will get better at home and if they can get some momentum they can go far still.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Agree with a lot that has been said. The ref seemed pretty ridiculous, but crucial (probably legit) penalties by LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) and Tupou cost us as well. Tupou had a frustrating game. Tremendous in the scrum, some exceptional stuff in the lose, some bloody dumb stuff as well.

I did not rate this backline when selected. But it was exceptional first half. Paisami stood up big time. Stewart continues to be an excellent 12 with a fantastic all round game. Playing smart too. I liked Jock at fullback - thought his positioning was very good and a handy playmaker as needed. Both wingers did way more than I thought they would and JOC (James O'Connor) and Tate combined well. As said previously, our kicking was below standard. Don't know what Sir Dave is teaching them but they aint Jonny Wilkinsons.

Again, as said previously, last week's pack was probably better with LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) at lock and ASY (Angus Scott-Young) at 6. Wilson is exceptional yada yada

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Yeah Brumbies are epic, we suck. Give me a break.

Brumbies are our best team, but are not exactly fire mate.

Let’s get the boys home and get a fairer assessment of where we are at.

On another note ASY (Angus Scott-Young) & Liam Wright both got op1s at Churchie - how crazy is that.

Woah you are a sensitive one. Bit of an over-reaction to my post which literally had one line about the Brumbies, which was hardly much praise given I stated every NZ team were better then the Brumbies at the Breakdown.

"Brumbies are probably the best at the breakdown (thanks Laurie) in the Aus teams"

Plus you seemed to ignore all the positives about Tate, JOC (James O'Connor), the 13 and the Red's scrum which is best in Aus.

You know not everything is Reds V Brumbies V Tahs....

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Woah you are a sensitive one. Bit of an over-reaction to my post which literally had one line about the Brumbies, which was hardly much praise given I stated every NZ team were better then the Brumbies at the Breakdown.

"Brumbies are probably the best at the breakdown (thanks Laurie) in the Aus teams"

Plus you seemed to ignore all the positives about Tate, JOC (James O'Connor), the 13 and the Red's scrum which is best in Aus.

You know not everything is Reds V Brumbies V Tahs..

Eh? A little more circumspection perhaps, on a Reds game thread. Especially a game with such bizaar officiating and extreme sensitivity happening among Red fans.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Eh? A little more circumspection perhaps, on a Reds game thread. Especially a game with such bizaar officiating and extreme sensitivity happening among Red fans.

Moving on.

The ref was bad. But the reds still would have lost. Really poor second half. Absolutely no answer to the maul.

Which is shame, cos their first half was great rugby. Those tries are great on the highlight reel.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
Moving on.

The ref was bad. But the reds still would have lost. Really poor second half. Absolutely no answer to the maul.

Which is shame, cos their first half was great rugby. Those tries are great on the highlight reel.

But they wouldn't have lost to the maul tries if the penalties were even handed because the Jaguars wouldn't have been in that position. It's all they have, pretty much.

B

Bobby Sands

You know not everything is Reds V Brumbies V Tahs..

You inferred if we played the Highlanders we would lose 90% of rucks. Because your blokes dropped their bundle I assume?

It’s pretty clear what your message is.

Hope you guys keep knocking the lights out like Friday, especially away from Canberra.

Shaker

Ron Walden (29)
Agree with a lot that has been said. The ref seemed pretty ridiculous, but crucial (probably legit) penalties by LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) and Tupou cost us as well. Tupou had a frustrating game. Tremendous in the scrum, some exceptional stuff in the lose, some bloody dumb stuff as well.

I did not rate this backline when selected. But it was exceptional first half. Paisami stood up big time. Stewart continues to be an excellent 12 with a fantastic all round game. Playing smart too. I liked Jock at fullback - thought his positioning was very good and a handy playmaker as needed. Both wingers did way more than I thought they would and JOC (James O'Connor) and Tate combined well. As said previously, our kicking was below standard. Don't know what Sir Dave is teaching them but they aint Jonny Wilkinsons.

Again, as said previously, last week's pack was probably better with LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) at lock and ASY (Angus Scott-Young) at 6. Wilson is exceptional yada yada

Lots and lots of torps.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
But they wouldn't have lost to the maul tries if the penalties were even handed because the Jaguars wouldn't have been in that position. It's all they have, pretty much.

Half the penalties were deserved though.... but yeah the other half.

I feel the second maul try mentally broke the Reds, they didn't have the same intent they did in the first half. Not even close. Can't blame the ref for that.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
You inferred if we played the Highlanders we would lose 90% of rucks. Because your blokes dropped their bundle I assume?

It’s pretty clear what your message is.

Hope you guys keep knocking the lights out like Friday, especially away from Canberra.

I inferred the Reds were shit house in the breakdown... which I think is a reasonable claim.

I guess you took the 90% reference literally. I'll be more realistic next time.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
Half the penalties were deserved though.. but yeah the other half.

I feel the second maul try mentally broke the Reds, they didn't have the same intent they did in the first half. Not even close. Can't blame the ref for that.

I'm more referring to the penalties the Reds didn't get their way that were as deserved as the ones they gave away. Minus Wright's yellow card and the scrum penalty 5 metres from their line.
Without those piggybacks up field there sre no rolling mauls to defend badly.

Reactions: dru

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
I inferred the Reds were shit house in the breakdown. which I think is a reasonable claim.

I guess you took the 90% reference literally. I'll be more realistic next time.

I think they need to commit more bodies to the breakdown. Definitely left short there on a few occasions.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Half the penalties were deserved though.. but yeah the other half.

If you take away half the penalities that weren’t deserved the whole game changes. It’s hard to have momentum when the ref keeps gift wrapping it to the opposition.

For what it’s worth, I think you can attribute a lot of the Reds second half performance to the ref. He was appalling and his mistakes were critical.

Not to say the Reds were perfect but I don’t think your comments reflect the game.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Moving on.

Just.
Fucking.
No.

None of those mauls would have happened without being repeatedly marched down the field on the back of penalties.

B

Bobby Sands

In the same way that interest compounds on top of money, and then the interest compounds on the interest - so to do poor referring decisions compound on to each other. In creates chains of events that can be nearly impossible to shift the momentum.

That’s all from me - not wasting any more capacity.

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
I get that you guys do not like mauls, but personally I love them. Lions v Stormers had some mauls defended well by both sides without incurring penalties. It can be done.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I get that you guys do not like mauls, but personally I love them. Lions v Stormers had some mauls defended well by both sides without incurring penalties. It can be done.

To be fair Ullrich, generally on here noone minds mauls when the Brumbies are scoring from them against overseas teams, it's really only when they are scored by other teams!! Same as how quick players come into lineout, Kafe doesn't make comment when Brumbies or prehaps local teams here do it, so most don't comment!
Personally I not a fan of them because I personally think if you can't get at ball carrier , you should be able to move anyone in your way, but that's just me, and I can also see how well some teams can set them up etc!! (just wish you could sack them)

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I don’t think that true on either count Dan. Plenty of guys here consistently express their dislike of mauls generally and the Brumbies cop plenty of criticism for theirs - both I general terms (ie that they are boring) and for the legalities.

Personally I don’t have a problem with them - but the refs do need to penalise breaches of the rules. And often they do - even on the Brumbies.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Only thing that annoys me about mauls is that it can be pushed backwards straight off the lineout then the opposition regathers and then 5 seconds later they get forward momentum. To me that shouldn’t be allowed and they should be made to use the ball immediately