• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby Round 10, 2018 - Bulls vs Rebels - Saturday 21 April @ Loftus Versfeld

Status
Not open for further replies.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Rebels coming off a hearbreaking loss. Bulls coming of a big win against the Shorks.

Working against the Rebels: altitude, in-form Bulls, loss of Genia, no ins in the republic (yet).
Working for us: WE'RE THE REBELS AND WE CAN DO ANYTHING (blind faith is a good thing), potential complacency / banana peel game for the Bulls (especially after hammering the Sharks).

Frankly, dunno how this one will go. If we're to win a game in SA this year, this is the one. With the loss of Genia, Ruru/Goddard will have to clock with JD, and quick, if we're to have any chance.

I'd start with the same pack, and tweaks the backs to include Hodge at 13. Perhaps rotate Sefa for Koroibete.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Looks like Hodge is back:

Hodge will be returning to the Rebels side for the clash, after missing the loss to the Jaguares with a hamstring concern.

From Rugby.com.au

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Id bring Hodge back into 12, Meakes has been good. But as a partnership Hodge/English has worked better than Meakes/Hodge or Meaked/English.

Is DHP back?

How far out will Hodge kick one from?

AFL_Converted

Billy Sheehan (19)
Thought Meakes was great against NSW, good against sharks but otherwise I haven't Been that impressed. Filling a space but not at all standing out.

I like Hodge at 12 better. As for 13, I don't think we have one but English is the best there attack wise. Need something more in defence though as from 13 outwards we have been pretty leaky.

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
A return from injury for centre Reece Hodge, headlines three changes to the starting XV for the Melbourne Rebels ahead of their clash against the Bulls in Pretoria this Saturday.
Hodge joins lock Matt Philip, back-rower Angus Cottrell and half back Michael Ruru as the inclusions in the starting line-up. Ruru will make his first-ever Rebels start, after Will Genia suffered a hamstring injury in the loss to Jaguares in the last round.
Billy Meakes and Geoff Parling will start on the bench, making way for Hodge and Phillip respectively. Ruru’s elevation to the starting line-up means a potential season debut for young half back, Harrison Goddard.
Cottrell returns to the starting line-up since re-committing to the Melbourne Rebels, while Richard Hardwick shook off any concussion concerns from the Jaguares match and will start on the bench. Fereti Sa’aga also returns for his first match after missing matches against the Hurricanes and Jaguares, replacing the injured Ben Daley (shoulder).
Fly half Jack Debreczeni will celebrate a special personal milestone, reaching 50 Melbourne Rebels and Super Rugby caps this Saturday.
Rebels Head Coach, Dave Wessels, said playing in South Africa was exciting challenge for the squad.
“The Rebels have never won in South Africa, but to change that we’re going to have to play well against a very good Bulls team,” Wessels said.
“It’s exciting for guys like Michael (Ruru) and Harrison (Goddard); they have a great opportunity to impose themselves on the Super Rugby competition.
“The Bulls have played very well in the last few weeks and they’re obviously well-coached. We know that we’re going to have to be at our best.”

2018 Vodafone Super Rugby, Round 10
Bulls vs Melbourne Rebels
Saturday 21 April 2018
AAMI Park, Melbourne
Kick-Off: 3.05pm (SAST), 11.05pm (AEST)

Melbourne Rebels team vs Bulls on Saturday 21 April, 2018 at Pretoria, South Africa:
1. Tetera Faulkner
2. Anaru Rangi
3. Sam Talakai
4. Matt Philip
5. Adam Coleman (capt)
6. Ross Haylett-Petty
7. Angus Cottrell
8. Amanaki Mafi
9. Michael Ruru
10. Jack Debreczeni
11. Marika Koroibete
12. Reece Hodge
13. Tom English
14. Jack Maddocks
15. Dane Haylett-Petty

Reserves:
16. Jordan Uelese
17. Fereti Sa’aga
18. Jermaine Ainsley
19. Geoff Parling
20. Richard Hardwick
21. Harrison Goddard
22. Billy Meakes
23. Sefa Naivalu

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Clearly, Dave et al has been reading our comments on the midfield pairing, and gone with a Hodge/English combination.

A traditional 5/3 bench means no room for Colby or LT.

199madmave

Ward Prentice (10)
How could Hardwick possibly be fit to come off the bench? He was knocked out last week. The Rebels coaches/management seem to have very little regard for player safety. This is NOT the first time injured players have been named to play.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
How could Hardwick possibly be fit to come off the bench? He was knocked out last week. The Rebels coaches/management seem to have very little regard for player safety. This is NOT the first time injured players have been named to play.

Yeh, I'm very surprised that Hardwick passed concussion protocols. I think everyone hear/felt this hit last Saturday, and it wasn't nice. I'll put my faith in the medical staff that they have done all the necessary checks to clear him for game time.

199madmave

Ward Prentice (10)
Yeh, I'm very surprised that Hardwick passed concussion protocols. I think everyone hear/felt this hit last Saturday, and it wasn't nice. I'll put my faith in the medical staff that they have done all the necessary checks to clear him for game time.

I dont have the same faith - last year Reid played 3 games with a broken back!

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Happy with the team, although i'd rather a real 7, Uelese at 2 and a Meakes/Hodge 12-13 combo, but it is what it is. The guys that are in the places are capable.

Wessels MUST incorporate a better substitution policy than he has been.

Forward changes need to happen in the 50-60th min mark, otherwise we are just going to die in the last 20mins again. Phillip and more particularly Coleman need to tuck the ball under their arm and do more of the heavy lifting into contact than has been happening.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
We'll see if the story changes this week but I fear not.

Rebs will come out 100 MPH, drop down to 30 MPH in second half.

Bulls will compete for the full 80.

The Genia factor is a huge loss for the Rebs.

Bulls by 20+

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
the obsession with the "big bopper" backrow disturbs me, even considering its a Saffa side. Also result dependent might be time to try Tuipolotu at 13 on return to Australia, or move Hodge out one and Horwitz at 12. somehow have to make space and time for Koroibete and Naivalu to move in.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I like the idea of Tuipolotu but Horwitz isn't in the same class as Meakes or even Hodge atm. Plus he is gone come seasons end, so doesn't solve the problem long term.

A big NRC from Tuipolotu is what is needed from his end.

Rock Lobster

Larry Dwyer (12)
Staggered he has put Parling back on the bench, especially playing in SA where your set piece is going to be under pressure from the opening whistle. The ring a ring a rosie policy with the flankers, where you can go from starting 15 to outside the 23 in a week is a recipe for disaster IMO. And while Rangi has been going well, surely Uelese should be starting. The argument may be that Rangi hasn't done anything to deserve being demoted but that argument could/should apply right across the squad, which it clearly doesn't.
This was always going to be an issue for Wessels in combining the 2 squads and a test of his management skills. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for now but if they come away from SA without a win and then cop a touch up from the Crusaders when they get back, the honeymoon will be well and truly over for the "supercoach"

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I like the idea of Tuipolotu but Horwitz isn't in the same class as Meakes or even Hodge atm. Plus he is gone come seasons end, so doesn't solve the problem long term.

A big NRC from Tuipolotu is what is needed from his end.

Tuipolotu had a big U20s competition last year and was impressive in the early trial match against the Brumbies. I really thought we would see him in the 13 spot at some time this year, but so far hasn't been seen even on the bench.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
RL the argument advanced by Wessels was that having Parling and Meakes on the bench give them added experience at the end. Hopefully the bench will be used more advisably this week.
i would have Parling start, then either Philip or RHP to come on, Fainga'a to start and Hardwick to sub, Mafi and Cottrell to start. happier with a 5/3 bench. Maddocks must be due a spell also, hasn't been that good the last few outings, particularly vulnerable in contact.

Rock Lobster

Larry Dwyer (12)
Yeah but no point having experience coming on at the end if the game is already gone. Their set piece is clearly better when Parling is on and he should be playing the majority of the game if not the full 80.

The bullshit coaches come out with to justify selections really fascinates me. Cheika is an absolute shocker for it. They're like politicians who think you've forgotten what they said 2 weeks ago when they change their position on an issue. Very annoying.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
I would like to see Sefa getting another opportunity to start, he was excellent in the first three games and needs the match fitness to be at his best.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
I would like to see Sefa getting another opportunity to start, he was excellent in the first three games and needs the match fitness to be at his best.

agree, ideally both Naivalu and Koroibete to start, but both being noted non-kickers clearly leaves the Rebels at risk against teams that can kick and chase, that is all the non australian super sides.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
agree, ideally both Naivalu and Koroibete to start, but both being noted non-kickers clearly leaves the Rebels at risk against teams that can kick and chase, that is all the non australian super sides.
I would like to see Sefa given a start at 13, he has played there previously and it's worth a shot. That would allow both him and Koroibete to start while keeping 2 players with kicking ability in the back three.

I would start Timani at 8 next week and give Mafi 20 minutes off the bench/week off so his good for the Saders game.

I don't want to see Hodge at 13 again, his weakest position accross the backline.

Rebels/Bulls half time full time result is paying $6.50, great odds considering our first half form.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.