• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby Round 3 - Sunwolves v Rebels @Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Would expect the Rebels to have the same starting line up/squad for this one. No need for swapping and changing.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Is Fainga'a back?

But yeh most likely the same.

Could be a banana skin, but you'd expect us to get up by around 10-12.

Ballboy

Chris McKivat (8)
Danger Will Robinson DANGER ! a banana skin indeed , they had the Brumbies on the ropes for a while in their match , they pushed over for a try , had very fast line speed in defence ,, Rebels will need to bring their A game to this ,, having said that a win will really set it up , good test for coach on selection and tactics

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Sunwolves are, in my opinion, the best coached team in the Australian conference. This is a great opportunity for Wessels to change that perception.

If the 10 can get good ball to the backs then the Rebels should do ok. Sunwolves will look to pressure Genia after the huge influence he had last weekend.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
Would expect the Rebels to have the same starting line up/squad for this one. No need for swapping and changing.
Is Colby available? If so, I'd have him on the bench instead of RHP.

As happy as I am to see Tupou in the side, I wouldn't mind if Hutchison was given a crack.

I guess all will be revealed this arvo sometime?

Scooter

Colin Windon (37)
Same starting XV for Rebels as last week. Two changes on the bench:

In: Geoff Parling and Colby Fainga'a
Out: Sam Jeffries and Semisi Tupou.

Only two backs on bench Michael Ruru and Billy Meakes.

Tex

John Thornett (49)
The pissed English lads sitting in front of me at the Reds game will be stoked. One only paused his assault on an absynth bottle to dribble about how good Parling would be.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
That bench is very strong.

One back (+ reserve 9) is plenty on the bench with the versatility in the team.

Parling could come on and fix any line out issues, Colby any ruck issues, RHP to maintain any physicality later in the game.

Biggest issue is if JD went down, not sold on Hodge at 10.

Reactions: Tex

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
I'm interested in when the shift became Maddocks to 10, not Hodgie, at seemingly both a Rebels and Wallaby level.

Reece played 10 vs Japan for Australia, and was pretty handy. With the strength of Rebels' midfield and outside back stocks, surely that switch would have made great sense and allowed for a Meaks/English or Naivalu combination in the centres, with Sione and Hunter providing competition.

It's almost like Hodge has decided he doesn't want to be a 10 (and who can blame him - the switch comes with a lot of responsibility, and the likes of JOC (James O'Connor) and Beale struggled with it). Cheika, having already cast aside Quade and (at least initally before reconsidering and denying him an early release) Lance then had to dou a double-take and think about who else might step up, landing on the development player right in front of his eyes - Jack Maddocks.

Just a theory. Either that, or Cheika and/or Wessels decided Reece isn't a long-term option at 10.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
I'm interested in when the shift became Maddocks to 10, not Hodgie, at seemingly both a Rebels and Wallaby level.

Reece played 10 vs Japan for Australia, and was pretty handy. With the strength of Rebels' midfield and outside back stocks, surely that switch would have made great sense and allowed for a Meaks/English or Naivalu combination in the centres, with Sione and Hunter providing competition.

It's almost like Hodge has decided he doesn't want to be a 10 (and who can blame him - the switch comes with a lot of responsibility, and the likes of JOC (James O'Connor) and Beale struggled with it). Cheika, having already cast aside Quade and (at least initally before reconsidering and denying him an early release) Lance then had to dou a double-take and think about who else might step up, landing on the development player right in front of his eyes - Jack Maddocks.

Just a theory. Either that, or Cheika and/or Wessels decided Reece isn't a long-term option at 10.

The change came when it became even more obvious that Hodge is not a natural ball player/ passer. Despite the fact that Hodge played 10 for Aus U/20s his strengths have always been his hole- running ability and huge boot.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

He wasn't, really. His distribution was poor and he didn't really demonstrate any kind of 'game management'. His defense was top notch and Japan were pretty poop.

Status
Not open for further replies.