• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby Round 9, 2018 - Waratahs vs Reds - Saturday 14 April @ SCG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Huge game for both teams. The Tahs need to keep up their winning momentum and stay up with the Rebels and NZ teams for points.

The Reds need to turn it around after a poor performance against the Brumbies and keep their season on track.

Expect the Tahs to revert to a more standard backrow with Holloway starting and Nick Phipps to return to the bench for Short.

For the Reds, presumably George Smith and Izzy Perese will come into the side.

WTF?

Tom Lawton (22)
Will be interesting to see if Thor is out, I assume Higgers is for a few weeks.

JD should be fit soon, but won't be there this week.

Tahs by 7.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Minor AC for Thor - shouldn't stop him from playing although I think Robertson would not be relishing that contest.

Expect Simmo to have a huge game.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Minor AC for Thor - shouldn't stop him from playing although I think Robertson would not be relishing that contest.

Expect Simmo to have a huge game.

So 3 penalties, 5 missed tackles, a penalty try and a yellow card? #SimmonsPlayingForTheWaratahsHelpsTheReds :D:p:)

Also while missing Thor would be a massive blow Sef Fa'agase is a very capable replacement.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Game is at Sydney Cricket Ground for "Herritage Round" (to avoid an A-Leage clash).
First game at the venue between these two sides since 1983

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Game is at Sydney Cricket Ground for "Herritage Round" (to avoid an A-Leage clash).
First game at the venue between these two sides since 1983

and a test for next year

Interestingly Sydney FC are reconfiguring the SCG for next season

In a letter to members, Sydney FC chief executive Danny Townsend says the club is addressing concerns of the distance from the playing field by using just three sides of the venue.
Under the proposal, the pitch will run east to west alongside the boundary of the newly built Noble and Bradman stands. The O'Reilly stand in the east will likely accommodate the clubs active supporters behind the goal while the members and ladies pavilion will be open to fans. It's understood broadcast cameras will be fixed opposite the crowd to show full stands.

"It means we can push the pitch as close to the world-class Noble-Bradman Stand as possible, for non-Derby games, which will house the majority of our Members and fans. This will make it a more tight-knit atmosphere for all involved, which will enhance the experience. For Derby games, the pitch will be centred, in order to accommodate the higher anticipated crowd," Townsend said.
Despite the disadvantages that come with a non-rectangular venue, Sydney FC wanted to keep a portion of their games close to their spiritual home while it undergoes reconstruction for two seasons to avoid disruptions for many of its supporters.

jimmydubs

Dave Cowper (27)
Reds by a lot. Better front row. With smith back a better back row. Locks better around the park. I.e. forward dominance. Big bad Brad to have given his young charges a sleepless night or two early in the week but they’ll be on song for the weekend. Tahs have more game breakers in the backs but I think/hope the reds stodginess will keep them largely out of the equation.
Full blown positivity mode in action this week.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
That makes total sense to push the field to one side as much as possible. They obviously don't need to fill the entire ground evenly with spectators.

The TV camera thing is also good as it definitely detracts from broadcasts when it looks empty (particularly if it doesn't need to show that if the cameras are in a different spot).

I wonder whether the field positioning will be in the centre or otherwise this Saturday night?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
That makes total sense to push the field to one side as much as possible. They obviously don't need to fill the entire ground evenly with spectators.

The TV camera thing is also good as it definitely detracts from broadcasts when it looks empty (particularly if it doesn't need to show that if the cameras are in a different spot).

I wonder whether the field positioning will be in the centre or otherwise this Saturday night?
Looks like the centre so bring your binoculars

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Reds by a lot. Better front row. With smith back a better back row. Locks better around the park. I.e. forward dominance. Big bad Brad to have given his young charges a sleepless night or two early in the week but they’ll be on song for the weekend. Tahs have more game breakers in the backs but I think/hope the reds stodginess will keep them largely out of the equation.
Full blown positivity mode in action this week.
I actually feel more confident about this than i would have even two weeks ago. Reds are barely averaging more than a try a game and the Waratahs, despite their wobbly pack, are averaging much more than that.

Tahs to nick it at home.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Good jersey

0b688e6170bbcc440e3ded2051075b26.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
I actually feel more confident about this than i would have even two weeks ago. Reds are barely averaging more than a try a game and the Waratahs, despite their wobbly pack, are averaging much more than that.

Tahs to nick it at home.

Cept the Waratahs have been giving up close to 30 points a game.

Other than the Brumbies and Rebels games the Reds have actually been very good defensively.

Status
Not open for further replies.