• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby Round 9, 2018 - Waratahs vs Reds - Saturday 14 April @ SCG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Yes, it probably will but it definitely shouldn't. Gordon has been a class above all the Australian halfbacks this year except Genia. Powell is not a guaranteed starter at the Brumbies for a reason, Tuttle is light years away from rep honours, Ruru is very raw and therefore inconsistent.

The Wallaby halfback pecking order should be:
  1. Genia
  2. Gordon
  3. Phipps
  4. Powell
  5. Toss a coin. You could argue Short has looked better than the others in his time on the field.
Although Gordon is the best choice if Genia gets injured, I would not be surprised to find Phipps as the selected Wallaby finisher because of the energy he brings to the last quarter hour. I think Cheiks and co will spend about a minute discussing halfbacks and hours discussing other positions.

I agree Tuttle is a long way away from Test Rugby, but I do think the one thing he has over all the other candidates is his goal kicking -- he's as gooder goal kicker as any other in Super Rugby. If we look at going down the path of Beale playing 10 Tuttle could be a good fit with that. But Foley isn't being left out of the 10 jersey so this discussion is largely a moot point.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I agree Tuttle is a long way away from Test Rugby, but I do think the one thing he has over all the other candidates is his goal kicking -- he's as gooder goal kicker as any other in Super Rugby. If we look at going down the path of Beale playing 10 Tuttle could be a good fit with that. But Foley isn't being left out of the 10 jersey so this discussion is largely a moot point.

He's a better goal kicker than any of the halfbacks sure, but that isn't really going to help him much.

He'd have to be an unbelievable goal kicker to give himself a chance of Wallaby selection. At this point his kicking isn't a compelling reason to start him at halfback for the Reds.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
He's a better goal kicker than any of the halfbacks sure, but that isn't really going to help him much.

He'd have to be an unbelievable goal kicker to give himself a chance of Wallaby selection. At this point his kicking isn't a compelling reason to start him at halfback for the Reds.
Absolutely, his service is too slow and he offers very little in the way of a running threat. It'd never work for cheika's wallabies and it's becoming a problem for the reds.

Status
Not open for further replies.