• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby Television Ratings 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
Can't find a thread for this and figure it needs a thread of it's own.

Place to comment around Ratings for 2014. I will post the Australian ratings as they come through.

Keep in mind ratings are the average audience. So there are plenty of factors at play here.

Round 2:

Friday: Crusaders v Chiefs 76000

Saturday: Highlanders v Blues 66000

Brumbies v Reds 108000

Sunday: Waratahs v Force 122000

Round 3:

Friday: Blues v Crusaders 63000

Rebels v Cheetahs 108000

Saturday: Chiefs v Highlanders 93000

Waratahs v Reds 150000

Round 4:

Friday:

1 LIVE: SUPER RUGBY: REDS V CHEETAHS FOX SPORTS 2
2 LIVE: SUPER RUGBY: H’CANES V BRUMBIES FOX SPORTS 2

Saturday:

9 LIVE: SUPER RUGBY: FORCE V REBELS FOX SPORTS 2

15 LIVE: SUPER RUGBY: CRUSADERS V STORMERS FOX SPORTS 2

All in all some interesting reading so far I think those are some good results. At the moment super rugby is taking a massive DUMP on A-League ratings (the Melbourne derby got 63000, outrated by
chiefs v highlanders?) Some of those NZ games aren't getting half bad ratings.

So if the FFA can get the A-League on FTA TV, which lets face it is a backwater competition for washed up stars to fix up their sunsuper accounts which they spent at the pub (that's no insult to soccer, I'm just saying there are far better versions to watch than the A-League)

Why can the ARU not get Super Rugby on FTA? At the very least in the next TV rights deal the ARU needs to get Templeton cup, and all finals simulcast on Ten + Foxsports. You tend to find that it doesn't actually take away from Foxsports' audience having the game simulcast. Wallabies WC games still rated highly on Fox even when Nein did bother to put them live.

150000 on pay tv to watch Waratahs Reds... I would guestimate peak audience of 210k but about 60000 televisions being turned off in the 60th minute. On FTA TV with appropriate promotion that could easily be turned into 500k which is a very profitable result for Channel 10.

Over to you Pulveriser

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Apparently the rate of Foxtel subscriptions in Banjoland is well behind that of the rest of the country.

I have no facts to support this assertion, but I have heard this statement made by plenty of people from both sides of the Tweed River. Anyone have the figures to support this?

I don't know too many Banjoplayers but of those I admit to knowing, the majority do not have pay TV, whereas the reverse is the case down here in Olde Sydney Towne.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Apparently the rate of Foxtel subscriptions in Banjoland is well behind that of the rest of the country.

I have no facts to support this assertion, but I have heard this statement made by plenty of people from both sides of the Tweed River. Anyone have the figures to support this?

I don't know too many Banjoplayers but of those I admit to knowing, the majority do not have pay TV, whereas the reverse is the case down here in Olde Sydney Towne.

According to Foxtel they have around 2.5 million subscribers and in the 2011 census there were 9.117 million households in Australia. So a tad under 28% of households.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
A fair stack of the Foxtel subscriptions will be commercial premises (Pubs, Clubs, etc).

Not sure how much that would skew the stats.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
A fair stack of the Foxtel subscriptions will be commercial premises (Pubs, Clubs, etc).

Not sure how much that would skew the stats.

Yeah, but they don't mention those facts which makes it difficult. I've heard that in terms of private households it's actually closer to 18%-20% but it's hard to get a difinitive answer.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I read a couple of years ago that there were plans to include venues (other than households) in the ratings figures.

Obviously a lot of people who don't have Foxtel watch sport in a venue like a pub or club. Then it would come down to, which sport(s) is being shown? And are advertisers interested in viewers like this, who are likely to be less engaged in the whole broadcast (meaning, the ads as well as the sport) than people watching at home.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)

I actually did some research on this exact topic and discovered a rather surprising result. 100% of Queenslanders* have Foxtel.
In a not completely unrelated survey I also found that 100% of Queenslanders* are also extremely good looking.

* Percentage refers to population surveyed. Sample size = 1.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
As a member of the OZTAM ratings panel (unfortunately I think I only have a year left), I've been watching as many Super Rugby games as possible.

I watched 6 last weekend (only a couple live unfortunately although it also captures time shift viewing).

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I can't believe that Foxtel don't have a more accurate ratings capture mechanism. Surely some data can be collected through the set-top boxes?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I can't believe that Foxtel don't have a more accurate ratings capture mechanism. Surely some data can be collected through the set-top boxes?

yeah, I always thought that would be how they do it. How bloody hit and miss. Braveheart, how did you come to do it?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
How bloody hit and miss. Braveheart, how did you come to do it?

I answered a few phone surveys about TV over a period of months and then six months or so later they rang me back and asked if I was interested in joining the panel.

I think I'm only allowed to be on it for 4 or 5 years (can't remember which) and I've been on it for at least 3.

You don't get paid or get free Foxtel or anything but you do earn reward points over time and can redeem them for gifts like you can get from credit card points.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)

They did, at least about 8 years ago.

They used to have a phone line connection, supposedly required just for "on demand" services.

The set top box monitored what you watched during the day, then every night would dial back on a toll-free hidden number and report on what you watched during the day.

When I got my Foxtel set top box upgraded after I moved apartments I couldn't get the "on demand" services as I couldn't get iQ - building had only been wired for one Foxtel cable. So, after getting friendly with the Foxtel installer, I requested that the dial home reporting "feature" be turned off - which he duly did by ringing up HQ and telling them to disable it remotely on my box.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
It's four years you can be on the ratings panel, BH81. We just finished with it. I don't have Foxtel but did my bit for FTA rugby where possible.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)

The data is collected through a meter supplied by the ratings agency, and is transmitted overnight to a central point for collation.

Foxtel has nothing to do with the collection of official ratings data.

That said, I assume that Foxtel would also maintain their own unofficial viewing numbers.

Oztam (the ratings agency) is controlled by the FTA channels, incidentally.

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
Round 4 Results (will add in top of page as well): disappointing IMO. Reds Cheetahs needed to get more

Friday:

1 LIVE: SUPER RUGBY: REDS V CHEETAHS FOX SPORTS 2
2 LIVE: SUPER RUGBY: H’CANES V BRUMBIES FOX SPORTS 2

Saturday:

9 LIVE: SUPER RUGBY: FORCE V REBELS FOX SPORTS 2

15 LIVE: SUPER RUGBY: CRUSADERS V STORMERS FOX SPORTS 2

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
Itwill be interesting to see what the shift will be when DDS on both sides of the dutch finishes.

Currently the Friday afternoon NZ games start at 16:30 Queensland time so I am guessing that most of us in Banjoland, even if we do have Foxtel access, miss at least the first half.

I actually did some research on this exact topic and discovered a rather surprising result. 100% of Queenslanders* have Foxtel.
In a not completely unrelated survey I also found that 100% of Queenslanders* are also extremely good looking.

* Percentage refers to population surveyed. Sample size = 1.

To add my findings to this result - I also found a 100% result with a rather small sample size. So, if we combine our sample sizes that means that we have a bigger sample size* and therefore a more acruate survey.

* Sample size now = 3

T

TOCC

No surprise that there is a drop in ratings the same weekend the NRL kicks off....

Status
Not open for further replies.