• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby Television Ratings 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Yeah totally agree. Pretty crazy stat's though. Given they play way more bad time zone games than us.

At least their away games in Australasia aren't at 3:00 in the morning. Mornings are way better for watching rugby than pre-dawn.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Ratings for tonight should be really interesting. No AFL but Victory playing Sydney FC in a finals game and Rebels playing in Melbourne at 7:30.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Round 10
Rebels vs. Force 68k
Hurricanes vs. Blues 56k
Waratahs vs. Bulls 92k
Chiefs vs. Crusaders 55k

Shute Shield 23k

Sat A-League elimination final Mariners vs. Adelaide 44k SBS2 + 40k Foxsports
Fri A-League elimination final Victory vs. Sydney FC 120k SBS2 + 148k Fox-sports

Round 11
Force vs Bulls 59k
Hurricanes vs. Reds 52k
Brumbies vs.Chiefs 85k
Blues vs. Waratahs 80k

Shute Shield 33k

A-League semi final Mariners vs. Wanderers 92k SBS2 + 89k Foxsports

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Round 12

Blues vs Reds 74k
Rebels vs Sharks 60k
Tahs vs Canes 129k
Crusaders vs Brumbies 43k
Chiefs vs Lions 42k
Force vs Bye 0k

Shute shield 44k

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Do you have figures for the Saffer games overnight?

Reds get 74k away, but what do they get at home?

Tahs v Canes basically smoked everyone but its primetime, and surely there are other Tahs fans who are watching all games over the weekend?

Very interesting, the effect that Kiwi teams have on those viewing figures for Fox.

The Saders/Ponies game might have done better had it NOT clashed with Shute shield, and the figure for the Rebels still shows a reasonable onshore support, but perhaps a few Kiwi expats who don't bother watching a South African team.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I seem to recall reading somewhere that the final ratings figures were updated to include viewers watching recorded programmes within 7 days of the original airing. No doubt there were a lot of us who recorded the Crusaders/Brumbies game.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
I reckon part of the reason the Tahs v Canes figures are strong is because it was such an entertaining game. Those are average figures and there's a lot of people that flick between channels and stick with what seems like the best game. When rugby's played well and with attacking intent from both teams it wins over those fringe fans.

I bet if it was a dour game that figure would have been at least 20k lower.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Just watched the A-League Grand Final, it will be very interesting to see the ratings.

They'll be massive.

This is what rugby in Australia misses out on in Australia other than the once in a blue moon one of our teams host a super rugby grand final.

Who knows, maybe in 9 years the NRC grand final will be played in front of such an audience.

Robert Szomolnoki

Frank Row (1)
Free to air will be a must for Rugby in next deal and lets hope an Australian Team host the final

- A League grand final figures - (helped by no Rugby League)

--Overall, 772,000 watched SBS 2’s coverage based on “five-minute consecutive reach viewing

---An average audience of 334,000 tuned into Fox Sports 2 to watch the game live, with numbers peaking at 524,000 in the final minute of extra time, surpassing last year’s decider, which attracted 308,000 viewers

Soccer A League Grand Final Post Match (Fox Sports 2)  —  370,000
Soccer A League Grand Final (SBS TWO) 320,000
Soccer A League Grand Final (Fox Sports 2) —  292,000
AFL: Geelong v Richmond (Fox Sports 3) —  82,000
APL:West Coast v Fremantle (Fox Footy)  —  173,000
ALF: North Melbourne v Gold Coast (Fox Footy) - 170,000

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Impressive numbers for the A-League GF. I recall the QLD Reds had an average of 518k with a peak of 691k on FoxSports for the 2011 GF win. Still a Foxtel record. Shows the appetite for top rugby games. Imagine what the ratings would have been if that GF was on FTA TV.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
shute shield out-rates the brumbies?

Its a good example of the of some of the complexities that we and the ARU (Pulver) needs to be aware of and considering when thinking broadcast options. It highlights the viewer access differential when its FTA v Pay Tv, how important scheduling is and the how "big" the available audience is (ACT for Brumbies v NSW for Shute). I cant recall what other sports were on it was also competing directly against in that time slot but I assume at least AFL.

I would really like to know what 43K for the Brumbies on Fox Sports would translate to if it were on FTA. Or even better the figures if it were the Tah's game on the weekend.

As for broadcast deals - food for thought. If they can we certainly should be able to and not be that far behind if not in front. Note the mix and the compromise to get it on FTA - even though its presented by Foxtel but shown on SBS.

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/news-display/grand-final-to-smash-viewing-numbers/90260

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Round 13
Rebels vs. Hurricanes 56k
Chiefs vs. Blues 44k
Brumbies vs. Sharks 62k
Highlanders vs. Lions 24k

Shute Shield 37k

Status
Not open for further replies.