• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby Television Ratings 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Given that the respective coaches made it very clear that the Brumbies/Sharks gave was going to be yet another kickathon, it is hardly surprising that viewers voted with their remotes.

The Rebs and Canes deserved a better audience, and so did the two New Zealand games - they invariably produce very attractive rugby over the dutch. Sadly, the time difference is a problem. We time-shift, and I reckon a lot of people would.

Parse

Bill Watson (15)
Game of Thrones 276k

So all we need is some gory/bloody assassinations, a few naked women and an inside look to the plotting and scheming of the Super Rugby teams - that will get these rugby ratings up!

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Round 13
Rebels vs. Hurricanes 56k
Chiefs vs. Blues 44k
Brumbies vs. Sharks 62k
Highlanders vs. Lions 24k

Shute Shield 37k

The 62K is an average over the broadcast. My guess is that it started at 120K, dropped in the first 15 minutes and finished at 30K. This shows what Jakeball does to an audience. Those numbers are guaranteed to lead to a reduced Fox revenue offer, not that Jake would give two hoots.

Parse

Bill Watson (15)
Btw, how do they figure out these ratings figures? Do they actually poll people or do they rely on a feedback from their Foxtel boxes?

T

tranquility

Btw, how do they figure out these ratings figures? Do they actually poll people or do they rely on a feedback from their Foxtel boxes?

These statistics are collated from people who have decided to join up to the "program" and donate data for collating. This data is then spread out as a reflective % of the population and turned into currency for media companies to bargain with. This is done across all countries.

So when a figure such as 3 million people watched a certain show, this does not mean the data was collated from 3 million people. It is a derivative of the 5000 or so people who have decided to be part of the program. These numbers are incredibly accurate for popular free to air programming due to basic understanding of statistics, however more niche shows and sports I feel at not nearly as accurate.

For a game as niche as Rugby, it would be worth considering what percentage of this small figure who sign up for the program would be part of the rugby community?

Issues such a demographics are carefully considered when making up the sample space.

I haven't looked at this stuff for a while, but I believe the sample space for pay television as opposed to FTA is much smaller than the 5000.

So these figures are being estimated from a very small base, and I would suggest not from the target demographic.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
That all sounds correct to me.

I am guessing Foxtel has a better way of measuring who is watching their programs as I expect they know what subscribers are watching and when.

To my knowledge, for the official OZTAM/Nielsen ratings, the ratings that are produced relating to Foxtel are only the subset of the 5,000 homes with ratings boxes that subscribe to Foxtel.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Braveheart foxtel surprisingly uses the same system as Nielsen and relies on a sample

I know they do that for the official ratings, but do Foxtel really not have the ability to tell what their subscribers are watching through their boxes?

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
I don't think they do, and nor should they.
We'll they're mad if they don't know. ISP providers, search engine providers all know what their users are looking at on the net. It's part of their user agreements.
From a Privacy Law perspective they need to be clear on what information they capture and what they plan to do with that information.
I would have thought it would be a key business component of a Pay TV provider to know what interests their subscribers.

T

tranquility

We'll they're mad if they don't know. ISP providers, search engine providers all know what their users are looking at on the net. It's part of their user agreements.
From a Privacy Law perspective they need to be clear on what information they capture and what they plan to do with that information.
I would have thought it would be a key business component of a Pay TV provider to know what interests their subscribers.

You could very well be right, I can't remember how they calibrate all that.

Parse

Bill Watson (15)
The problem with getting feedback from their foxtel units is that many people these days leave the things on because they have set it to record various things in the future. Feedback therefore could be rather slanted as the machines would be on one channel (the last one watched) until such time as they watch something again on foxtel.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The Chez Jarse Foxtel box is left on a sport or rugby channel when I go nigh-nighs just in case they electronically survey users channels at all random times. Just the little sacrifices I make for the team to try to skew the ratings figures towards rugby and sport.

T

tranquility

Its actually very controlled, and you must click the button at certain times to make sure that you are active etc.

Parse

Bill Watson (15)
That would make it difficult for when there is like 3 rugby matches in this part of the woods followed by 2 in SA - like on some saturdays where the first game starts at 5:30 and there are 4 more after it at around 2 hour intervals. Don't think there would be much clicking going on.

But then I guess, when the boys from the rugby club intersperse their dribble it might make people swap channels so they don't have to listen to them. Maybe that's why they keep repeating themselves - to make people switch channels ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.