• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby Television Ratings 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
That's about the same numbers NZ pay tv SKY gets for its local super rugby games. Not bad for a country of just over 4 million.
On Free to Air TV Channel Nine gets between 200-600k for their NRL games.

For interest, in Soccer, the Wanderers played Hiroshima in the Asian Champions League this week. Kick off prime time in Australia. Ratings on Foxsports were $39k

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
That's about the same numbers NZ pay tv SKY gets for its local super rugby games. Not bad for a country of just over 4 million.

I don't understand why NZ gets so little for its rugby broadcast rights given the numbers. From what I've read Sky pay less than $20 million per year for super rugby + ITM Cup + test matches. It's not much more than what they pay for the NRL rights (I'm not sure what they pay under the new deal, but in the previous 5 year deal they got NZD$14 million per year). And the NRL ratings in NZ are much lower, especially for non Warriors matches. Sounds like rugby is getting ripped off to me.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Round 15
Rebels vs. Waratahs 102k
Blues vs. Sharks 41k
Force vs. Lions 51k
Highlanders vs. Crusaders 48k
H.canes vs. Chiefs 38k

ABC Shute Shield 43k

For interest:

Foxsports Socceroos vs. SA 194k

Ch 9 State of Origin 4.058M... that's why its king

Source: Media Week

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Highlanders vs Crusaders was a fantastic game and deserved to be watched numbers similar to the SOO.

Ch9 State of Origin may be king, but not in this castle. Not watched at all.

ABC Shute Shield games seem to be rating well, and getting better as the season progresses.

This could be a good sign for the NRC games ratings later this year.

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
SOO peaked at 4.058 million in the city & regional. It averaged just over two.

The undisputed king is the 2003 RWC Final with 4.08 million AVERAGE in metro only, now that is a fucking rating. Would love to get my hands on what the total national peak was, would rival the olympics

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Round 16

Foxsports 2: Chiefs vs. Waratahs Sat 14:30 AEST 76k

Shute Shield ABC1 Sat 15:00 AEST 34k

Taken me a while to track down the Tahs ratings but it quite interesting. It confirms that Saturday afternoon Super Rugby games don't rate as well as evening games.

The Tahs game and the Shute Shield were on at the same time but the Shute game rated similar to previous weekends. That's positive. Even though the numbers are smallish it Highlights that not all rugby fans have Foxtel and there is an appetite for rugby on FTA TV. Hopefully SANZAR pay attention.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Round 16

Foxsports 2: Chiefs vs. Waratahs Sat 14:30 AEST 76k

Shute Shield ABC1 Sat 15:00 AEST 34k

Taken me a while to track down the Tahs ratings but it quite interesting. It confirms that Saturday afternoon Super Rugby games don't rate as well as evening games.

The Tahs game and the Shute Shield were on at the same time but the Shute game rated similar to previous weekends. That's positive. Even though the numbers are smallish it Highlights that not all rugby fans have Foxtel and there is an appetite for rugby on FTA TV. Hopefully SANZAR pay attention.

That's a lot of Fox viewers who missed an absolute humdinger of a game.

Are the 76K the total views including the replay later on Saturday night? You'd hope those watching Shute would pick it up on replay that evening. If that's the total number its VERY disappointing.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Lots of us watched the Tahs on Foxtel IQ. With a electronic "cone of silence" it is possible to watche the game on IQ as if it was live, with a result unknown. Do the ratings take IQ recordings into account?

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Just the live game at 2:30pm

Then I'd guess the total watching numbers might well be in excess of 100K. IQ viewings would be included in the 76K but if I remember correctly it started around 8 or 9 o'clock, when lots of people might have been watching, particularly those who saw the news and heard the result and that it was a great game.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Lots of us watched the Tahs on Foxtel IQ. With a electronic "cone of silence" it is possible to watche the game on IQ as if it was live, with a result unknown. Do the ratings take IQ recordings into account?

I read a news paper report a couple of years ago that claimed that the ratings would be upgraded to include IQ replays, and also to include estimates of people watching at pubs and clubs. The latter audience would be considerable, I would be certain.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
In terms of NZ viewing figures - are any of their games (including ABs) shown on FTA? I thought you needed Sky to get any rugby, and therefore market penetration was much higher.

And sample-based statistics for things like this are just bullshit IMHO. So easy for figures to be skewed. If you have the technology, use it

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
FoxSports Australia vs. France 1st Test 214k
TEN Australia vs. France 370k (Syd 152k Mel 57k Bri 95k Ade 27k Per 39k)
Total 584k - not too bad considering the amount of NRL and AFL on

FoxSports NZ vs. England 134k

ABC1 Shute Shield 42k

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
In terms of NZ viewing figures - are any of their games (including ABs) shown on FTA? I thought you needed Sky to get any rugby, and therefore market penetration was much higher.
it

Live but delayed, coverage starts 8:30 but they don't start showing the actual game until it's finished in real time. FTA rights currently held by Prime which I think is part-owned by Sky.

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
Those ratings are okay. I would like to see the ten figure top 400 this week after the positive press.

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
Also, I think in the next ARU TV deal the ARU should consider playing Bled I on a Wednesday night. I think Wed outrates Saturday by a considerable margin and I reckon it would go close to 1.5 million instead of the current 800k or so.

The obvious issue is that a Wed night game is very difficult to get to, but if Origin does it fine and makes bulk coin, it could at least be an option for the ARU.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Test ratings:

@iainpayten: The painful yang to the golden yin of arvo rugby: TV ratings. Fox 172k & Ten 245k. about 100k less than Melb"

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Test ratings:

@iainpayten: The painful yang to the golden yin of arvo rugby: TV ratings. Fox 172k & Ten 245k. about 100k less than Melb"

43000 spectators, many of them kids, and a great game in good conditions. Worth the ratings dive, IMHO.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
43000 spectators, many of them kids, and a great game in good conditions. Worth the ratings dive, IMHO.

Pulver said the other day rugby only gets 25% of its revenue from broadcast deals. Now he's obviously looking to improve that significantly but if it's really that low they should shun the broadcasters more often.

Status
Not open for further replies.