• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby Television Ratings 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
The awful game in Melbourne and the fact it was a dead rubber might have meant a few less people tuning in as well. Can't say it's all to do with the afternoon time slot.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
The awful game in Melbourne and the fact it was a dead rubber might have meant a few less people tuning in as well. Can't say it's all to do with the afternoon time slot.

The timing of the game would not have helped. While it was a great game bathed in sunshine, a ot of people are out on a Saturday afternoon. Would have had an impact.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
The timing of the game would not have helped. While it was a great game bathed in sunshine, a ot of people are out on a Saturday afternoon. Would have had an impact.

Yeah no doubt it would be the biggest factor. I'm just saying you can't say the afternoon time slot is the only reason for the drop in viewers.

I look forward to the day when Australian rugby can offer reliable HD broadcast through IPTV and make a big chunk of their revenue through annual subscriptions. Then a lot more games could be scheduled to suit spectators.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
ARU wouldn't be happy with the ratings for this test series at all. Not only did Channel 10 get less viewers than 7,9 and 2 each night the rugby was on, but movies that were on the same channel at the same time in the weeks before and after rated better than the tests.

21 June - WE BOUGHT A ZOO - 545,000
14 June - RUGBY: 2014 FRANCE TOUR – SECOND TEST LIVE 383,000
7 June - RUGBY: 2014 CASTROL EDGE FRANCE TOUR – FIRST TEST LIVE 370,000
31 May - TRANSFORMERS: DARK OF THE MOON RPT - 414,000

It's going to be really hard to convince free to air networks that rugby, which is also on foxtel, is worth showing on prime time.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The ratings isn't the only interest for broadcasters.

The demand for ad space during the broadcast is also important. I have no idea what the ad revenue is likely to be but I'd guess it would be higher than showing a movie despite slightly lower viewer numbers.

Parse

Bill Watson (15)
Any reports on the ratings for the finals? Be interesting to see if they draw more watchers.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Strangely mediaweek stopped reporting on rugby games for the last couple weeks. Still doing Shute Shield ratings.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
If the papers don't quote what the ratings are for the finals this weekend I'll put them up next week.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Not brilliant numbers, but reasonable.

@MediaweekAUS: Sat TV #SuperRugby SF2 #WARvBRU 248k SF1 #CRUvSHA 132k #FoxSports

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Imagine the Swans/Hawks game would have taken away a fair chunk of the local neutral fans.

This Saturday looks better on the AFL front (two games but none high quality), though the Roosters/Dragons game may well draw a few away.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
with 248k the game would've topped last saturday nights ratings (below)
Rank
Description
Channel\Market
(r) National STV
LIVE: NRL STORM V RAIDERS
FOX SPORTS 1
LIVE: AFL ST KILDA V FREMANTLE
FOX FOOTY
LIVE: NRL BRONCOS V WARRIORS
FOX SPORTS 1
LIVE: AFL GWS V GEELONG
FOX FOOTY
LIVE: NRL ROOSTERS V PANTHERS
FOX SPORTS 1
LIVE: NRL SUPER SATURDAY
FOX SPORTS 1
LIVE: SUPER RUGBY: QF#1 BRUM V CHIEFS
FOX SPORTS 2

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
Remember AFL also on 7 and 7 mate. 476k and 185k respectively for a 1.021m total

Report:
Top 20 Programs
Channels:
National STV
Market:
National STV
Demographics:
Total People
Day-part:
02:00 – 26:00
Day:
Saturday
Date:
26/07/2014
Deliverable:
Overnight

Rank
Description
Channel\Market
(r) National STV
LIVE: AFL HAWTHORN V SYDNEY
FOX FOOTY
LIVE: SUPER RUGBY: SF#2 WARATAHS V BRUM
FOX SPORTS 2
LIVE: NRL TITANS V EELS
FOX SPORTS 1
LIVE: AFL BRISBANE V GOLD COAST
FOX FOOTY
LIVE: NRL BULLDOGS V COWBOYS
FOX SPORTS 1
LIVE: NRL PANTHERS V SHARKS
FOX SPORTS 1
FOX SPORTS 1
LIVE: SUPER RUGBY: SF#1 CRUS V SHARKS
FOX SPORTS 2
LIVE: RUGBY CENTRAL SATURDAY
FOX SPORTS 2
LIVE: AFL: SATURDAY LIVE ON FOX
FOX FOOTY
FOX SPORTS 1
LIVE: AFL: SATURDAY LIVE ON FOX
FOX FOOTY
PAW PATROL
Nick Jr.
LIVE: RUGBY CENTRAL SATURDAY
FOX SPORTS 2
RACEDAY SATURDAY
Sky Racing
BLETCHINGLY STAKES
Sky Racing
LIGHTNING STAKES
Sky Racing
TEEN TITANS GO!
Cartoon Network
BBQ PITMASTERS
A&E
RACEDAY SATURDAY
Sky Racing

Floggn'

Jimmy Flynn (14)
It would be interesting to see what the Soccer pulled for an audience for their major semi-finals on face value they look like terrible results for a Semi-Final. The crowd at the game was very disappointing too. I have no idea why rugby fans in Sydney don't get off their arse and support their team. As previously stated I went to every Reds game I possibly could knowing we were playing crap rugby but they are my team and so did 30,000 other supporters. How is possible for Sydney a city of double the population to only pull 39k for a game?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
38,800 is the biggest crowd the Waratahs have pulled for 7 years. It is over 14,000 more people than our previous biggest crowd this season.

Considering what our crowds have been like, it was an excellent crowd and people were very vocal and appreciative.

I think there are very limited number of people who think oh, moderately big sporting event, I'll go to that even though I don't really follow rugby.

Floggn'

Jimmy Flynn (14)
That doesn't answer my question. The Waratahs have played the best rugby out of all 15 teams this year. Sydney has one of the biggest populations out of all the 15 teams, they haven't made a final in 5 years, The Reds on their first major semi pulled 47,000 thereabouts but would have sold out if it wasn't for a ticktek problem which they then paid the Reds out for a sellout. They also play a team that is only hours away so their supporters would have turned up and yet they still only record sub 40k. Surely there are more Rugby followers in Sydney? My point is the organisation must be letting down the supporters or vice versa but something is still amiss down there.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It's clean not an easy task to get the crowds to return after attendances dwindling over several years.

How is the organisation letting down the supporters in 2014? They've put together a team that has played great rugby all season.

You can't just wave a magic wand and get people to turn up.

Status
Not open for further replies.