• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Swine Flu

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
well, interesting, think this may start to ramp up a little.

It looks like I have been in contact with someone (a staff member) who has been in direct contact with some who has just been diagnosed with it. People who have also been in contact with this person (they have just flown back from Perth) are dropping like flies.

I have slight soar throat and a head ache...

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
It didn't seem to bother K.Hunt much. He was sick on Monday and he's playing on the weekend.

Keep a Swine Flu diary if you do get it.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
well, interesting, a staff member has it.

Not sure what the plan is now.

All the people I have potential infected since last week.

It really is quite ludicrous.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Nice Moses.

Statistically speaking, it isn't really quite up there with the seasonal influenza. We're certainly well short of the 1919 pandemic that took out quite a few.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Have officially been asked to quarantine myself. Just for 3 days at the moment. Unless fever develops.

R

rugbywhisperer

Sooo, that means no rugby for you this weekend. That's sad.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Ahhh stuffit. I feel fine. No fever. Happy to take the day off, I mean quarantine myself, today. But I'll be taking the boy to rugby tomorrow. And we have friends over tomorrow night to watch the footy.

Well, they're coming over for dinner. I'll be watching the footy though.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Noddy said:
Well, they're coming over for dinner. I'll be watching the footy though.

My business partner ate at a sports cafe in France recently where there were TVs on one wall and long bench tables lined up parallel to the TV wall.

All the men and sons sat and ate facing the TV wall, all the wives and daughters facing out in a restaurant of 100+.

Eminently sensible.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Now Joeys has got it.

http://www.smh.com.au/national/boarding-school-closes-after-swine-flu-strikes-20090625-cybw.html

Boarding school closes after swine flu strikes
June 26, 2009

A SYDNEY private boys school has shut down after five students tested positive for the swine flu virus with that tally expected to "significantly increase" in coming days.

A large number of the 950 boys who attend St Joseph's College, in Hunters Hill, have reported flu-like symptoms, the school has revealed.

Two boarders from the college tested positive for the H1N1 influenza virus on Wednesday and another three students returned the same result late yesterday.

Around 70 per cent of the students are boarders, a school spokeswoman said, but how the virus infiltrated the college remains a mystery.

The school issued a press release last night after it decided to shut the school six days before the term was scheduled to end on July 1. "Following consultation with NSW Health, the college has been advised it is highly likely that the number of ill students will significantly increase over the next few days," the statement said.

"The large number of ill students at the college has significantly stretched the capacity of the [school's] health centre and college's ability to effectively care for students and limit further transmission given the close living arrangements in a boarding school."

Students will not be allowed back before July 28, when classes are expected to begin for term three.

The outbreak has also forced the sporting fixtures, scheduled to take place against The Scots College on the weekend, to be postponed until September 12.

A NSW Health spokesman said officials have been working with the school since the first student tested positive.

Meanwhile the number of confirmed cases in the Northern Territory rose sharply yesterday to 115. Health officials hold particular concern over the risk posed to remote Aboriginal communities, where most new cases are occurring because of the prevalence of people with underlying health problems.

Hospitals in Alice Springs have cancelled overnight stay elective surgery in preparation for a surge in swine-flu patients, while a radio awareness campaign is being prepared in a number of Aboriginal languages.

There are now 3280 confirmed cases of H1N1 virus in Australia and three related deaths.

A prisoner in a Rockhampton jail has been confirmed as having swine flu. Queensland Corrective Services said yesterday a 27-year-old male from the Capricornia Correction Centre had tested positive for swine flu and is in Rockhampton Hospital.

Three other prisoners showing flu-like symptoms had been isolated in the centre's health unit.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Hasn't the death of the Wonderfreak knocked Swine Flu out of the media yet? Its been 12 hours fer fuck's sake.

J

Jatz

Swine Flu is getting to be a massive issue over here in the UK. Talking about schools being closed, events being cancelled and even talk of it affecting the Ashes.