• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney clubs - funding and relationships

Status
Not open for further replies.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
OK, My experience shows a lot of angst and emotion on this set of topics. Maybe this will be seen as me starting a fight, leading with my chin. It's not what I think I'm trying to do though.

Possible discussions:
x ARU funding
x NSWRU funding
x Independent funding
x Funding for Shute Shield broadcasting

And whereI'd really like to get to:
x How the NSWRU is controlled and relates to the clubs in Sydney.

Try to gentle the emotion when you can.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
To kick it off, transferred as is from the divergent discussion on "Where to for Super Rugby":

I've had a gut full of adversarial positions on this. Can we discuss not "debate"? This is one of those issues that will be either right or it will be wrong, and it really shouldnt be hard to prove.

Here's the report. I found it on a search "NSWRU annual report 2016". It holds reports going back many years.

EDIT: now actually with report url http://www.nswrugby.com.au/Portals/35/assets/documents/2016/2016 AnnualReport [ONLINE].pdf?timestamp=1492670766751

Scroll through the bumf to "NSWRU Ltd - Special purpose Annual Report for the year ended 31st December 2016" note published last month, March 2017. So that seems to answer the period.

Under Expenses is Premiership Rugby (659, 778). Inthe column 2016.

We might note the column 2015 is a touch over $700k, and from revollection 2014 was around $750k so its certainly on a decrease.

While we are on this, I have often heard claims how the Annual fee-thing introduced by Billy, does not go to the teams. I'd also find that problematic. I thought the idea was a sustainable fund for amatuer rugby. Obviously insurance is different.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
To kick it off, transferred as is from the divergent discussion on "Where to for Super Rugby":

While we are on this, I have often heard claims how the Annual fee-thing introduced by Billy, does not go to the teams. I'd also find that problematic. I thought the idea was a sustainable fund for amatuer rugby. Obviously insurance is different.
All of the national participation fee now goes to the state unions general revenue pool. ARU doesn't keep any anymore

It's $0.9m (I initally said $1.4m) in the NSWRU annual report that you referred to earlier.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Just goes to annual revenue, so everything that the NSWRU (or any of state unions) spends their money on.

I guess you could say it goes to the community rugby expenses - but that's much more than the fee generates so fairly meaningless, other than just employing development officers and running the programs.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
As an aside - now we know the revenue the NPRF brings is $880k, and the charge ($33.75 for seniors for the sake of the argument - I believe NSW don't charge schools or U14) we can work out the number of registered players above U14 in NSW.

Its around 26,000

Reactions: dru

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Thanks Strewth, that's what I thought. What I'd like to know is where those funds go.

6ac71a9559686ba8d152c186a42c9f65.jpg

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
As an aside - now we know the revenue the NPRF brings is $880k, and the charge ($33.75 for seniors for the sake of the argument - I believe NSW don't charge schools or U14) we can work out the number of registered players above U14 in NSW.

Its around 26,000

$33????
Try $200+

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Subbies clubs pay $775 per Grade/Colts. They told the ARU/NSWRU to get stuffed when they wanted per-player, because clubs are forced to sign up many more players than more structured competitions

At a rough count of 160 Grades, that's just over $126K.

But the GOOD news (for the ARU) is that it goes up to $1000 next year!

Easy fucking money while you're swilling gin at your fancy new offices.

(Note: at $775 for a 15-man team its $51.67 / player - for a full 23 its a bargain at $33.70)

dru

Tim Horan (67)
@ Pfitzy re player fees going to prise Super players - in terms of accounting, it just isnt so.

Waratahs Ltd raise zero revenue from NSWRU. Zero. In fact they pay a fee to NSWRU of approx $1M per year ($1.1m in 2016). Player wages are fully covered by Waratah Ltd, other than the WB top up which is presumably covered in the ARU reporting.

If your concern is where ARU are funding (perhaps more should be available for clubs). ARU funded Waratah Ltd just over $6M, and a further $2.2M to the NSWRU.

So, so far, funds available to NSWRU include:
1. $2,219,187 from the ARU
2. $880,984 from the National Participation fee
3. $1,100,000 Waratah license fee

add in
4. $172,814 from Premier gate fees
And a couple of minor things, totals to a NSWRU income of a bit under $5m.

Now were I a clubbie, Shute Shield, Subbies wherever, I'd want to know we were getting our slice of the pie.

Personally, a war against the ARU, now pretty much proven to be inept, doesnt seem as important as asking the NSWRU what the hell they are doing.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
So following up how the NSWRU spend their (your) approx $5M - $4,899,456 to be exact.

Premiership rugby $659,778
Community Rugby $3,561,923
Corporate expenses $1,828,650
Odds and sods

While I know many will argue that Premier should have a bigger chunk, and wonder why corporate expenses are so high, generally it seems a reasonable spend.

The question for me is what actually is it spent on? Feed back from the players is "not them".

Isnt that misalignment, that lack of visibility, the first step in this discussion?

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
So following up how the NSWRU spend their (your) approx $5M - $4,899,456 to be exact.

Premiership rugby $659,778
Community Rugby $3,561,923
Corporate expenses $1,828,650
Odds and sods

While I know many will argue that Premier should have a bigger chunk, and wonder why corporate expenses are so high, generally it seems a reasonable spend.

The question for me is what actually is it spent on? Feed back from the players is "not them".

Isnt that misalignment, that lack of visibility, the first step in this discussion?
http://www.nswrugby.com.au/Community/DevelopmentOfficers.aspx

dru

Tim Horan (67)
18 DO's?
Halve it!

Ah, I'm just going by the link. Generic page for Development Officers which includes half who they have been able to work out specific job titles and the rest umm, DO.

Look I didn't write the page. Just trying to figure where the hell the money is.

Status
Not open for further replies.