• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Colts 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Albert

Jess Roche? I have heard about this fella? bit of background information? Is he sizey? etc

Tighthead. Not real tall, but built like a brick shitter. Tough. I don't know much about the pros / cons of scrum technique etc, but he gets good wraps around the club. Came up from the South Coast of NSW somewhere. Played CHS 1s at school, and also on bench for NSW schools. Was invited to play Sydney u20s earlier this season, along with Dom Bower (Randwick winger). He's one of the three Wicks players in the Aussie 20s training squad for the JWC next year. The thing is, Rochey is still eligible for u18s in 2010, so he'll have the chance to make the Aus JWC squad in 2011 & 2012. Top effort for a young bloke. Hopefully he and another young Randwick prop Tim Metcher (who's been out with injury for the last 8 weeks) will have a big future. Metcher already in Brums Academy (just as amateur I think).

R

rugbyfan

Tighthead. Not real tall, but built like a brick shitter. Tough. I don't know much about the pros / cons of scrum technique etc, but he gets good wraps around the club. Came up from the South Coast of NSW somewhere. Played CHS 1s at school, and also on bench for NSW schools. Was invited to play Sydney u20s earlier this season, along with Dom Bower (Randwick winger). He's one of the three Wicks players in the Aussie 20s training squad for the JWC next year. The thing is, Rochey is still eligible for u18s in 2010, so he'll have the chance to make the Aus JWC squad in 2011 & 2012. Top effort for a young bloke. Hopefully he and another young Randwick prop Tim Metcher (who's been out with injury for the last 8 weeks) will have a big future. Metcher already in Brums Academy (just as amateur I think).

Is that just picked from Colts? Never heard of it

U

Upright

For mine the player that has really caught the eye this season has been David Hickey. He has largely been used in 2nds Colts but he could be anything. A truckload of the M factor, not the most common characteristic among Uni players.

Good on him from all reports appears he may well be one to rise abouve the lottery of schoolboy selections.BTW Bruce i can understand how boys not going to Sydney Uni but are at other Universities can play for Uni, but what of those lads not going to any University e.g Lamont, what is offered to them in order to attract them, although I understand he is heading to Norths next year where his brother plays?

W

waves

Im not trying to sound real critical here but seriously I do not rate that Jesse Roach from Randwick, I've watched him in a number of games being from the Eastern Suburbs and the game against Easts lastweek although he scrummaged well in the 2nd half he dropped alot of ball and was ineffective around the ruck at times, gets around the park alright though I guess.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
BTW Bruce i can understand how boys not going to Sydney Uni but are at other Universities can play for Uni, but what of those lads not going to any University e.g Lamont, what is offered to them in order to attract them, although I understand he is heading to Norths next year where his brother plays?

The main reason I can think of, Upright, is the opportunity to really explore their rugby potential. Uni offers them professional coaching plus a physical development program which is cutting edge. These are the principal reasons why Sydney Uni produces more professional players than any other club in World rugby.

All players joining the Club are encouraged to study, whether that be at a university, TAFE, etc., or to undertake an apprenticeship

W

waves

1st Colts: Sydney University 58 - 19 Randwick
2nd Colts: Sydney University 52 - 0 West Harbour
3rd Colts: Sydney University 33 - 10 Easts

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
The main reason I can think of, Upright, is the opportunity to really explore their rugby potential. Uni offers them professional coaching plus a physical development program which is cutting edge. These are the principal reasons why Sydney Uni produces more professional players than any other club in World rugby.
They also get the pick of the litter every year in colts. just like Waterhouse,Cummings,Freedmans etc. they can all train, BUT they have the best cattle in the marketplace.
Swap the Penrith Colts or Parra colts, with Uni's recruits & see how far the coaching & physical dev programs improves them.

W

waves

Wests 3s 25-18 (I think this was the score) Gordon 3s

1's Eastwood 34 - 31 West Harbour
2's Gordon 32 - 19 Easts

-----------------------------------

1's Colts GF: Sydney University v Eastwood
2's Colts GF: Sydney University v Gordon
3's Colts GF: Sydney University v West Harbour

B

bdp

West Harbour / Eastwood probs one the best colts semi finals in a long time .

staedler

Frank Nicholson (4)
Harbour/Woodies was a great game. Eastwood coming back well after two yellow cards to Harbour's lock and half, with the game going down to the wire

observer

Tom Lawton (22)
Referee Anthony Moyes was selected to referee the University v Eastwood grand final this Saturday. He has refereed 1st grade matches, was the winner of the most consistent referee in 2009, was selected to take part in the level 3 referees course in 2010 and just been added to the IRB Sevens referee pool for the 2010/11 season.

University lodged a complaint about Moyes selection and he has been replaced. University said there was a problem because the coach of the Woodies team is Moyes's father Ian.

Good call or over the top? Thoughts????

B

baldingwingforward

I reckon thats a good call.

I have been in situations before where i have asked for a referee to be changed due to possible bias... NSW normally tell you to get stuffed and how dare you question the integrity of the referee blah blah

At least this way there is no come back and if anything it is a wise move by NSW to protect the referee. It would have been a tough one if he had stayed but it may well have gone in Unis favour, as often a referee will try and compensate for any perceived bias and end up over cooking it and giving the "other' team an advantage!

Moyes is not a bad ref - but i'm not sure he's as good as the list of things you have quoted above. They make him sound really good..........

TerryTate

Allen Oxlade (6)
If a SRU Colts team were to be assembled who would be the match-day 22? anyone willing to put forward a team?

W

waves

If a SRU Colts team were to be assembled who would be the match-day 22? anyone willing to put forward a team?

I'll have a crack and feel free to object of what i started with.

4. Alfred Pinomi (West Harbour)
5. Tom Heslop (Sydney University)
6. Tom Boidin (Sydney University)
7. Jack De Guingan (Sydney University)
8. David Hickey (Sydney University)
9. James Michael (Easts)
11. Dom Bower (Randwick)
13. Niko Tuvitu (West Harbour) - Big afro hair
14. Stephen Coudinaris (Sydney University)
15. Alofa Alofa (West Harbour)

Informer

Ward Prentice (10)
I'll have a crack and feel free to object of what i started with.

4. Alfred Pinomi (West Harbour)
5. Tom Heslop (Sydney University)
6. Tom Boidin (Sydney University)
7. Jack De Guingan (Sydney University)
8. David Hickey (Sydney University)
9. James Michael (Easts)
10. Henry Carmichael (Gordon) played second grade a few weeks back
11. Dom Bower (Randwick)
12. Tom Kingston (University)
13. Niko Tuvitu (West Harbour) - Big afro hair
14. Stephen Coudinaris (Sydney University)
15. Alofa Alofa (West Harbour)

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Is Alfred Pinomi a better lock than his team mate Australian Schoolboys captain Steve Cummins?
Alfred's a bit older and more physically developed. Steve may be talented enough to play First Colts and Australian Schools but don't forget Alfred played for Tonga in the iRB under 20s this year. Having seen them play for two years now I'd put Alfie ahead of Steve, but only in 2010.

Status
Not open for further replies.