1. Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Colts 2012

Discussion in 'Club Rugby' started by Stands, Oct 28, 2011.

1. young gun Herbert Moran (7)

Thanks Lily, I understood the term not just the context. Agree with the points and observations as to Norths in 2011. Hopefully it will improve in 2011. Should I hold my breathe?
  2. MACCA Ted Thorn (20)

Great discussion already. In my humble opinion, the competition is very open. All teams were tough opponents in 2011 , even Parra were no pushovers and with a few extra recruits, could improve. I know Randwick will lose Colts to grade however there may be others coming through. Easts have got a great talent pool, Gordon & Eastwood will be up there as will all of the others. It seems that most other clubs are lifting there standards of preparation so Uni's dominance may be threatened. Don't forget Randwick had them beaten at the full-time bell in the semi final only to lose in extra time. It is going to be a great season with plenty of surprises.
    Done that likes this.
  3. Tahboy Banned

Looks like Uni is not getting every player for next season but had an exceptional 2nd colts team but they will lose a lot of 1st colts players
    Randwick 10 players returning and have been recruiting very smartly
    Souths have signed a couple of good players and looks like Norths are writing a lot of cheques which hopefully they can honor.
    Manly will be strong with a number of players returning plus some good school boy players are from that side of the harbour
    If warringah can find some backs who can score tries they could be smokeys
    Easts will be Easts and be a challenger but there seems to be some unhappiness there and be interesting to see how Wests regroup after a poor season based on there usual higher finishes up the table
    Eastwood will lose a lot of players but have a great nursery so will again be challenges and I think in a lot of cases the level of coaching will be the difference between a lot of clubs and with the new comp and a final position in the top 8 etc based on club championship points then comts will be crucial with them being number 3 in the points tally
  4. Slash Bill Watson (15)

Here's hoping..

I do know that massive unit from Newington, Esrah is going to Uni. Even though another club organised and paid half of his tuition fees for 3 years to get to Newington in the 1st place.....
  5. Knuckles Alfred Walker (16)

Who was the club?
  6. Tahboy Banned

Has anyone heard of how clubs Colts recruiting is going?
    Miller and Wells have gone to Norths plus Trent Lake has moved from Gordon but he is grade I think
    Paul Asquith to Southern Districts
    Jake Gilfoyle to Randwick
    That's all I have heard
    Hope Norths know about the points system and can cover the cheques they are writing
  7. Tahboy Banned

Brogan Roods to Uni - quality player
  8. Spewn Dave Cowper (27)

He is. Will be an excellent Colts 3s recruit.
  9. Slash Bill Watson (15)

My scouts tell me that the Norths GM has resigned and finishes up on December 23. A very principled man, who has worked very hard to turn around the club, leaving when they are about to progress significantly. Maybe he left because they can't cover those cheques.....
  10. en_force_er Geoff Shaw (53)

I'm not involved in Sydney club rugby in any way but it strikes me as odd and cynical that everyone is so desperate for Norths to not be able to meet their financial commitments.

I for one would love to see more clubs enter the "serious" finals contender category and as long as they achieve it ethically it's fine.
  11. MACCA Ted Thorn (20)

INs OUTS & PREDICTIONS for 2012
    2011 was close and unpredictable.
    Most teams could beat the others on their day and even Uni were vulnerable.
    Is 2012 going to be the same? Ay guesses as to who will be a force in 2012?
    Who has scored the new gun players?
  12. Inside Shoulder Phil Kearns (64)

So how did his younger brother get to the school (after playing NSWPSSA Rugby in 2010) - same club paying his fees?
  13. Slash Bill Watson (15)

i don't believe they are paying anyone's fees anymore.....once bitten
  14. Iluvmyfooty Bill McLean (32)

can someone tell me when and where some of the Colts trials wll be played
  15. Tahboy Banned

Word is norths have attracted a couple of randwick colts players,$$ talked
    I think Randwick have players to cover these players leaving
    Does anyone know who has signed who
  16. MACCA Ted Thorn (20)

have heard that trials start this weekend. Uni play Nelson Bay. The following week Randwick start playing trials against Easts? (not sure)
  17. MACCA Ted Thorn (20)

do you know who ?
  18. Bruce Ross Ken Catchpole (46)

I don't think that Uni Colts are playing against Nelson Bay but rather they are taking 30 of their Colts to Nelson Bay for a training camp. Knowing the coaches' methods I'm sure it would be easier on the players if they were playing a trial.
  19. Iluvmyfooty Bill McLean (32)

Bruce from what I have heard Sydney Uni colts, Newcastle Uni and Nelson Bay are involved in a three way trial at Nelson Bay's home ground next weekend. The following week , from the same source, Newcastle Rep Colts are playing Eastwood Colts at Nelson Bay. The sun and the surf must be an attraction for the clubs - not a bad place to visit and play some rugby at
  20. Bruce Ross Ken Catchpole (46)

I defer to your greater knowledge, ilmf. Good exposure for the northern teams and a good way to help country rugby.