• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Colts 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveMerrick

Allen Oxlade (6)
My brother played a pretty high level of rugby at school and was approached by Sydney Uni- they offered him positions at College at a discount(St Andrews in this example) that his UAI would not allow him to get into otherwise. The COlts Coaching Director also said that he would receive academic exemptions and help for exams etc that he would not receive otherwise if he were to play for another club. Sorry Bruce but this is 100% fact and not exactly a level playing field that other clubs can ever match
Any high school student who represents his / her country in sport whilst at school - this could be Australian Schoolboys rugby union, Olympic games swimming etc. is provided an uplift I believe of 5 UAI percentage points over their mark to compensate the tiem they have spent training / competing - this is available to any Uni not just Sydney Uni. Uni in the early to mid nineties were a disaster and close to a laughing stock of the Shute Shield that they got the act together and established a strong foundation should be applauded.

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
Any high school student who represents his / her country in sport whilst at school - this could be Australian Schoolboys rugby union, Olympic games swimming etc. is provided an uplift I believe of 5 UAI percentage points over their mark to compensate the tiem they have spent training / competing - this is available to any Uni not just Sydney Uni. Uni in the early to mid nineties were a disaster and close to a laughing stock of the Shute Shield that they got the act together and established a strong foundation should be applauded.
Fair points Mr Merrick. I agree with the notion that success shouldn't be punished. The difficulty may be that, in other geographic areas, establishing a foundation to fund clubs (as an example) may be more difficult due to less $$$$ being available. For the greater good of rugby, those areas may need support to survive. I shall stick my neck out and say that the demographics of Parramatta (for example) could support a very strong rugby team in a few years however may struggle now. What us rugby lovers wish to avoid is the chance of them disappearing in the meantime.
It will be easy for Uni to attract corporate dollars as it is one of the most exclusive Unis in Australia. They simply have more going for them than other plain old rugby clubs. Their brand is more attractive to corporates than all the others.
What is the solution - am buggered if I know!

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)
Word is that Eastwood took approx 60 Colts up to Nelson Bay last weekend to play against the Newcastle Rep teams who have their country championships in three weeks, and were extremely well drilled.

Eastwood mixed all players in all grades and went quite well - didn't have any major problems.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)

Just to clarify the extra 5 UAI points is discretionary to the individual university and not all apply the rule. My point was that Sydney Uni offered a position in a prestigious college at a significant discount and lower mark (after taking into consideration the extra 5 points). Uni rugby program is so strong in its structures alone that it doesn't really need to offer these 'scholarships' as no other clubs can compete

SteveMerrick

Allen Oxlade (6)
Fair points Mr Merrick. I agree with the notion that success shouldn't be punished. The difficulty may be that, in other geographic areas, establishing a foundation to fund clubs (as an example) may be more difficult due to less $$$$ being available. For the greater good of rugby, those areas may need support to survive. I shall stick my neck out and say that the demographics of Parramatta (for example) could support a very strong rugby team in a few years however may struggle now. What us rugby lovers wish to avoid is the chance of them disappearing in the meantime.
It will be easy for Uni to attract corporate dollars as it is one of the most exclusive Unis in Australia. They simply have more going for them than other plain old rugby clubs. Their brand is more attractive to corporates than all the others.
What is the solution - am buggered if I know!

In regards to the dire treatment of rugby union west of Concord Oval that is a travesty of epic proportions and a significant blight on the character of the men (and now women) charged with running the NSW Rugby Union and also the Australian Rugby Union. They talk alot about expansion of the game but since the game went professional and the Unions started to earn significant amounts of money not to mention the 2003 world Cup bonanza the investment strategies of those in power have been poor to be kind. Who wouldnt think that it was important to significantly invest in Western Sydney where the vast majority of the polutation reside and will continue to grow, they know they have missed the boat and now simply hide their head in the sand. It amazes me on this forum to see the supposed "rugby' people complaining about a trip to Nepean to play the Emu's, the same people will probably tell you that an afternoon at Forshaw or Rat Park is not enjoyable and would rather confine their Saturday travels to Coogee, Uni, Woollahra, North Sydney, Chatswood, Manly (now that it is trendy) and their country visits to TG Milner.

Yes Uni have alot goign for them but it took them over 100 years to realise how to harness and take advantage of this - Parramatta have a very rich rugby history and have contributed some of the great players and coaches of the Shute Shield hopefully they will be allowed and encouraged to contribubte more.

Sermon over

O

Ole Two Blue

Spot on SM..........Parra are getting on with the job of growing the club at all levels. We believe we have stopped the bleeding in players heading for the exit door for greener pastures and whilst we are not out of the woods yet, we have discovered the light at the end of the tunnel is not the front of an oncoming train. We have some issues with a neighbour, which we hope will be resolved amicably and in good faith in the coming weeks, and we realise whilst the ARU 'resources' (I use that term losely and without criticising their staff on the ground) will never be directed at western sydney at the levels they should be, we'll just concentrate on making that grass green in our own backyard.

I will never understand why the ARU blew $45 million developing an on line registration system and not on growing the game in terms of development and participation numbers.

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
Spot on SM..........Parra are getting on with the job of growing the club at all levels. We believe we have stopped the bleeding in players heading for the exit door for greener pastures and whilst we are not out of the woods yet, we have discovered the light at the end of the tunnel is not the front of an oncoming train. We have some issues with a neighbour, which we hope will be resolved amicably and in good faith in the coming weeks, and we realise whilst the ARU 'resources' (I use that term losely and without criticising their staff on the ground) will never be directed at western sydney at the levels they should be, we'll just concentrate on making that grass green in our own backyard.

I will never understand why the ARU blew $45 million developing an on line registration system and not on growing the game in terms of development and participation numbers.
Hellalujua! lets not beat clubs up for being successful. I mentioned Parra as an example - they have a HUGE potential demographic of rugby players and are battling along well. My point is that these potentially very fertile rugby areas just need more support than the Uni for obvious reasons. No slur on Uni (or any other clubs) just that some situations are different, a one size fits all scenario is wrong. Look at all the expansion of the AFL & NRL and learn from what they have done. If that need explaining I can have a go.

Rob

Sydney Middleton (9)
Uni in the early to mid nineties were a disaster and close to a laughing stock of the Shute Shield that they got the act together and established a strong foundation should be applauded.[/quote]

I think you will find that the rest of the Shute Shield teams actually bailed them out initially.

O

Ole Two Blue

Uni in the early to mid nineties were a disaster and close to a laughing stock of the Shute Shield that they got the act together and established a strong foundation should be applauded.

I think you will find that the rest of the Shute Shield teams actually bailed them out initially.[/quote]

I doubt they would have......though if so, then I will stand corrected. Uni getting their act together has been and should be applauded. No-one is denying that. The issue is that now their dominance has the potential to kill the competition. And this is concerning. The fact of the matter is, the 'Premier Club Rugby Comp' in the country cannot find a major naming rights sponsor.......did anyone ask why?

Parra are looking forward to the challenges ahead, in fact we relish them, it would just be nice to have a governing body using their obvious influence at the high end of town to lobby governments for funding to improve facilities etc. Both Parra and Penrith should be getting state and federal assistance to build facilities worthy of the competition they compete in. It's obvious the councils don't give two hoots.

R

rugbyfan

I hear Woodies v Manly is on the cards? Anyone have an idea when the trial is?

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Heard a rumour yesterday that those players who played 7's for Australia recently are now ineligible for colts (Clarke, Miller, etc.) I this correct?

T

Tahboy

Those players are eligable for colts as long as they meet the age conditions and fit into the team points.
In 2010 When Southern Districts 1st colts made the grand final and were considering to play Rob Horne who was returning from injury from the Waratahs and Sydney Uni started to complain the house down. He didn't play because he was going on the end of year Wallaby tour but there was no reasons why he could not play.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Those players are eligable for colts as long as they meet the age conditions and fit into the team points.
In 2010 When Southern Districts 1st colts made the grand final and were considering to play Rob Horne who was returning from injury from the Waratahs and Sydney Uni started to complain the house down. He didn't play because he was going on the end of year Wallaby tour but there was no reasons why he could not play.

Note the obligatory dig-at-Sydney-Uni worked into Tahboy's post. This is clearly the way forward for the other clubs. If we can kneecap the front runners we all benefit. There is the predictable consequence of lowering the playing standard of the competition but that is a small price to pay.

Status
Not open for further replies.