• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Colts - 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

wreckless

Bob Loudon (25)
I hope it was only a coincidence at 31-7 the penalties started flowing Unis way.
7 straight in the second half that led to 2 Uni tries the only thing he didn't do was convert the tries.
You don't mind seeing penalties but very inconsistent today.

Once again IMHO - down to fitness. Souths got very out of shape and undisciplined after a period of frenzied dominance. And to their credit - they pulled it together to have a real crack at the end! :)

Tah and feathered

Watty Friend (18)
Once again IMHO - down to fitness. Souths got very out of shape and undisciplined after a period of frenzied dominance. And to their credit - they pulled it together to have a real crack at the end! :)
The souths boys are fit, the crucial point was Trent Winterstein the souths 13 coming off early in the 2nd half and this allowed Uni to get out wide.
Souths at the end were still coming and nearly got another long range try
I think a lot of credit should go to both teams who turned on some great running rugby and both teams kept to there goal of running the ball
Both sides belted each other all game and there will be a lot of sore bodies tomorrow. I am sure Uni will be wary of playing souths again and i dont think Uni can play much better and Souths still have a bit to go with some players due back from injury. The big advantage uni has is there bench and this was a bit factor today. The Uni doctor was on the field a lot but hopefully it was only due to injuries?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I thought that the Doctor/Physio/water runners were only allowed on the field when play had stopped and the referree called them on.

A few games I have been to this year, the physio/Doctor has been wandering on and off the field at will. I can understand for an emergency that time is critical, but there are lots of strained fingernails and dislocated hair follicles being treated with urgent invasions of the playing area by the medicos while the game is still in progress.

wreckless

Bob Loudon (25)
The souths boys are fit, the crucial point was Trent Winterstein the souths 13 coming off early in the 2nd half and this allowed Uni to get out wide.
Souths at the end were still coming and nearly got another long range try
I think a lot of credit should go to both teams who turned on some great running rugby and both teams kept to there goal of running the ball
Both sides belted each other all game and there will be a lot of sore bodies tomorrow. I am sure Uni will be wary of playing souths again and i dont think Uni can play much better and Souths still have a bit to go with some players due back from injury. The big advantage uni has is there bench and this was a bit factor today. The Uni doctor was on the field a lot but hopefully it was only due to injuries?

Thanks for this input T&F - good point about 13 but I don't resile from the fact that a good, fit team shouldn't give up a 31-7 lead and lose the game! You are right about the way both teams played the game - exhilarating stuff and we have already covered the apogee of Uni rugby.

One last thing about the Uni doctor ( whether he was on the field too much or not ) - he was last seen stitching up a Souths player's cut over the eye without prejudice after the game according to my snout! Something about a Hypocratic Oath I believe! Or a hippopotamus! :)

Probably the last word I'll say on the game today is : " congratulations to both Uni and Southern Districts on a fantastic attacking and expansive game of rugby which not only lived up to expectations but exceeded them."

Cheers, Wreckless

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
So were you watching the game or were you in NZ @Wreckless, or at the game because you are working in NZ on a FIFO arrangement and this is the FO weekend?

wreckless

Bob Loudon (25)
So were you watching the game or were you in NZ @Wreckless, or at the game because you are working in NZ on a FIFO arrangement and this is the FO weekend?

Wreckless is everywhere HJ! ;)

FIFO us a great arrangement ( just ask Mrs Wreckless!!! ) whin ut cen fut un with ixtracurricular ectuvuties!!!

Livestream can also be useful - but I also rely on " the kindness of strangers " on this site!

wreckless

Bob Loudon (25)

BTW HJ - how did GPSrow's Gordon 2nd's go? haven't been able to get an update ( even from your extensive stats post!!! ). Cheers, Wreckless

Tah and feathered

Watty Friend (18)
Thanks for this input T&F - good point about 13 but I don't resile from the fact that a good, fit team shouldn't give up a 31-7 lead and lose the game! You are right about the way both teams played the game - exhilarating stuff and we have already covered the apogee of Uni rugby.

One last thing about the Uni doctor ( whether he was on the field too much or not ) - he was last seen stitching up a Souths player's cut over the eye without prejudice after the game according to my snout! Something about a Hypocratic Oath I believe! Or a hippopotamus! :)

Probably the last word I'll say on the game today is : " congratulations to both Uni and Southern Districts on a fantastic attacking and expansive game of rugby which not only lived up to expectations but exceeded them."

Cheers, Wreckless
If a team leads 31 to 7 and gets run down in the last 15 then there could be a fitness issue but the crazy thing about this games was that it was 31 to 7 after 25 minutes. Souths still do 2 fitness components per week plus most still do an extra session with there S & C trainer.
I agree wreckless at 31 to 7 you should win same as you score 50 points you should win but thats footy.
The Uni doctor did stitch up a Souths player which was very kind of him and no word of a $7 co payment but the doctor was blowing from all tge running he did during the game.

wreckless

Bob Loudon (25)
The Uni doctor did stitch up a Souths player which was very kind of him and no word of a $7 co payment but the doctor was blowing from all tge running he did during the game.

Brilliant stuff T&F - love your work! Not only relevant but topical ( and humorous ) as well! Keep it coming! :) Wreckless

wreckless

Bob Loudon (25)
If a team leads 31 to 7 and gets run down in the last 15 then there could be a fitness issue but the crazy thing about this games was that it was 31 to 7 after 25 minutes.

True - this was weird! It was a bit like a battle scenario - Souths surprised the enemy with their Stormtroopers and blitzkrieg, then were lulled into "the phoney war" and after that came the "big push" which put Uni ahead but then Uni had to withstand the Ardennes campaign ( Battle of the Bulge" ) to finally get over the line! As you said - credit to both teams! :)

The Raging Potato

Allen Oxlade (6)
Well done the Emus Sione Sumbodies (copyright Wreckless) in winning the second half convincingly against the Nigel Should Be's (copyright GPSrow) in Colts 2. A lesson for the Should Be's that the schoolboy honour roll means diddly squat against a determined opposition. And a lesson for the Sumbodies that they can be competitive. Hopefully they can build from here.

wreckless

Bob Loudon (25)
Well done the Emus Sione Sumbodies (copyright Wreckless) in winning the second half convincingly against the Nigel Should Be's (copyright GPSrow) in Colts 2. A lesson for the Should Be's that the schoolboy honour roll means diddly squat against a determined opposition. And a lesson for the Sumbodies that they can be competitive. Hopefully they can build from here.

Mad Spud - I can't claim copyright on this! @Cattledog coined this ( along with Sione's cohort - Anuva Pilayer - way back!! :)

But GPSrow's signature is intact and all over the other reference like a bad suit!

Everyone on this blog should be tipping their lid and - let's face it - if you want rugby to prosper - giving a bloody great cheer to what @Cattledog and his team are doing out west! That article from the Warringah(?) newspaper was unreal - really sorry for the Condon(?) bloke but so admire the spirit ) and attitude that I first observed and commented on a few rounds ago!

A good dose of humility through a ( non denominational ) prayer - goes a long way! Both my young blokes have experienced this in the current season and the comments afterwards would bring a tear to a glass eye! By that I'm saying - positive! I really would encourage this - but not compulsory, optional! Live Long - and Prosper!

But anyway - now I'm rambling! I'm sure the Mods will delete any inappropriate crap I've contributed!

Good NIght & good Luck!

Wreckless:)

Cattledog

Sydney Middleton (9)
Mad Spud - I can't claim copyright on this! @Cattledog coined this ( along with Sione's cohort - Anuva Pilayer - way back!! :)

But GPSrow's signature is intact and all over the other reference like a bad suit!

Everyone on this blog should be tipping their lid and - let's face it - if you want rugby to prosper - giving a bloody great cheer to what @Cattledog and his team are doing out west! That article from the Warringah(?) newspaper was unreal - really sorry for the Condon(?) bloke but so admire the spirit ) and attitude that I first observed and commented on a few rounds ago!

A good dose of humility through a ( non denominational ) prayer - goes a long way! Both my young blokes have experienced this in the current season and the comments afterwards would bring a tear to a glass eye! By that I'm saying - positive! I really would encourage this - but not compulsory, optional! Live Long - and Prosper!

But anyway - now I'm rambling! I'm sure the Mods will delete any inappropriate crap I've contributed!

Good NIght & good Luck!

Wreckless:)

Cheers Guys I was out at Camden with the PDJRU U12 "Angry Birds" but I hear it was a good day. Hoping the U12's can win both today and make the semis Monday. Manly & ACT look the top teams but we knocked off last years runners up Gordon 26 - 12 yesterday. Go "Angry Birds!"

Redmond

Stan Wickham (3)
If a team leads 31 to 7 and gets run down in the last 15 then there could be a fitness issue but the crazy thing about this games was that it was 31 to 7 after 25 minutes. Souths still do 2 fitness components per week plus most still do an extra session with there S & C trainer.
I agree wreckless at 31 to 7 you should win same as you score 50 points you should win but thats footy.
A huge advantage Uni have is there 10 fresh reserves available and Souths were hit with a big injury toll forcing 6 starting players from the field.
The seconds backing up only just manage to fill the void.
That was the difference between the 2 teams.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Fresh reserves?
Don't think so.
The points system would ensure this did not happen.
Not saying your injuries did not affect things though.

the baz

Alfred Walker (16)
couldn't agree more rage. They should be proud of this effort, and hopefully this leads to good times ahead. Well done to dog and the team out there. Inspiring.

Status
Not open for further replies.