1. Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney JRU Vs NSW Country JRU 2013

Discussion in 'Schoolboy Rugby' started by Hugh Jarse, Jul 22, 2013.

1. Hugh Jarse Rocky Elsom (76)

I eventually found a programme (1page double sided A4 player listing) hidden away in the canteen.

Team lists in jumper numbers are being progressively updated as per programme in post #1.

I have a couple of photos which I will try to upload, if I can. I need to "shrink" the photo size that will not break the internet.
    Rugby Mum likes this.
  2. The Spectator Herbert Moran (7)

Apparently the shorts were too flexible hence the boys weren't able to lift effectively? The photos showed that pretty clearly. I also thought there were three penalties for leg lifting. Most of the boys however seem to leg lift at school notwithstanding there is a law that says they shouldn't.

Do most associations/schools literally follow this law? Doe sit depend on the ref?

If short lifting is the "real" rule that will actually be enforced, then the boys better get practising!
    Man on the hill likes this.
  3. Inside Shoulder Nathan Sharpe (72)

Very interesting.
    We had a penalty today in club U15s for leg lifting: first one of the season.
    I suspect some kind of edict has been published to the refs.
  4. Hugh Jarse Rocky Elsom (76)

"Leg lifting", and "clear release" of the tackled player before going for the pilfer/turnover penalty are things the the various Referee associations started cracking down on last year. Sometimes takes a while to percolate down to all levels.
  5. Inside Shoulder Nathan Sharpe (72)

"Clear release" remains a whim and a prayer
  6. Sideline Eye Darby Loudon (17)

The ref in the 17s game told the boys before kick-off that he would penalise any leg lifting. This was also an edict given at the National Champs at St Luke's. And yes, the Sydney shorts aren't made of tough cotton - some sort of mish mash of flexible fibres and bits that breath, etc - so the lineouts were pretty ordinary. Nobody could get a firm grip to lift properly. Why in the world can't the boys lift on the legs? It's only a matter of an extra 20-30cm or so for the front lifter, and the lifter at the back usually grabs the shorts or lifts under the bum anyway. Also, the yellow cards were very soft and, IMHO, generally unnecessary - a penalty would have done.
    The Spectator likes this.
  7. Hugh Jarse Rocky Elsom (76)

[USER=7746]Sideline Eye[/USER], you are being very generous describing the Sydney lineouts as pretty ordinary. They were awful. The thrower has a very nice action and the ball whizzes through the air beautifully. Unfortunately it was often about a foot higher than the jumper was able to be lifted.
    I noted that the #2 was listed as a #8 for the AICES Association at Schoolboys. Perhaps he should have been relieved of his lineout duties.
    I also noted that CHS Hooker E Craig was listed as #5 in the Juniors team. Interesting choice for a second rower. Craig struggled at times during Schools games, but his lineout throwing would have been a significant improvement had the Juniors employed him in that role, as he doesn't really come across as a Second Rower.

How a boy who is selected into Combined States for National Championships as a #2 manages to be selected as a Second Rower for Club Championships is beyond me. However given the whole U17 selection process, I am not surprised in the least.

A photo from a lineout in the U16's to show [USER=7746]Sideline Eye[/USER] point about how useless the shorts were for piggie work. Obviously designed by a back to look nice with little thought to the functional purposes of the garment. Ignoring the lifting techniques, you can see the stretch in the garments have made the job of lifting a little difficult. You may need to zoom in to the lifters.
    2013 Sydney JRU U16 lineout.jpg
    Sideline Eye likes this.
  8. Hugh Jarse Rocky Elsom (76)

Results for the day up on the NSW Juniors Web site:
    http://nswjuniors.rugbynet.com.au/default.asp

Tough day at the office for the Bush.
    PS. Dear NSW JRU, It is Sydney JRU vs NSW Country JRU, not City vs Country. That other code uses that terminology.

CITY VS COUNTRY DAY

Results from the City Vs Country Day held at Forshaw Rugby Park on July 28th:
    U14s SJRU 38 defeated CJRU 12
    U15s SJRU 36 defeated CJRU 0
    U16s SJRU 31 defeated CJRU 7
    U17s SJRU 27 defeated CJRU 5
  9. Hugh Jarse Rocky Elsom (76)

One of my snouts is very irate that they missed a chunk of the game in the Under 17's.

They arrived just before 2pm which is the kick off time still advertised on the NSW JRU Website (yes I just checked it just them to confirm) to find the game well and truly on.

I think it actually started about 1/4 to 2.

Apparently the country people had flights booked based around a 1:30 kick off, so to cover another administrators stuff up, the administrators stuff it up for those who actually believed the timings published on the web site. The beauty of this one is that it isn't the SJRU administrators who shagged it up this time.
  10. Hugh Jarse Rocky Elsom (76)

Try by Country Captain #3 Harry Johnson-Holmes in the U16's.
    2013 Country JRU U16 Try.jpg

and proof that the conversion made it (or is about to make it).
    2013 Country JRU U16 Conversion.jpg
  11. Hugh Jarse Rocky Elsom (76)

Ella Cup Winners (Under 16) SJRU

2013 Sydney JRU U16.jpg
  12. Rugby Mum Watty Friend (18)

Why does this not surprise me HJ????? Similar thing happened last year at The Gold Coast!!!!! And will keep on happening until there is a huge change at the top.
  13. Hugh Jarse Rocky Elsom (76)

Michael Brial Cup Winners (Under 17) SJRU

2013 Sydney JRU U17.jpg
    JimmyLan likes this.
  14. Rugby Mum Watty Friend (18)

HJ Is there a list of the boys from the 17 s and 15 s that made NSW teams today?
  15. juniors spectator Stan Wickham (3)

Game started 10 minutes early after both teams consulted as Country 17s had been advised by Country executive that game was a 1.30 kick off! Correct Game times had been advertised for weeks!! And all other teams seemed to know!!!

Team lists are on the NSWJRU website.fairly even split across Country and Sydney.hope not too many disappointed.
  16. Hugh Jarse Rocky Elsom (76)

[USER=7730]Rugby Mum[/USER]
    The PA at the ground was pretty useless, unless you were in close.

They called out the names pretty quickly and they didn't seem to be in either alphabetic order or positional order. {edit: in hindsight and comparing my chicken scratchings on the programme with those on the NSW JRU web site, they were probably called out in alphabetic order}

I hadn't found a programme until after the U15's were announced, so I am not much help there.

I can only recall hearing one or two names that I recognised in the U15's.

The 17's were likewise read out in machine gun form, and then the chosen few and their entourage disappeared into the club upstairs for the Administrators to administrate them.

There looked to be about 13 or 14 Sydney boys and about 9 or 10 Country boys head upstairs.

Most of the Manly boys seemed to be named, as well as the fullback from the Rats #15 FONTAINE.

I'm not too sure about how the Coasties fared in the NSW Selection lottery. I don't know the clubs all that well, but I seem to recall someone saying that there were 3 Coasties in the squad, but I could only find #5 MARGIN (Ourimbah) and #14 FRANKHAM (Terrigal) listed in the programme.
  17. Hugh Jarse Rocky Elsom (76)

NSW JRU Under 17 Squad
    From SJRU
    Conor DAVIDSON, Manly - Front Row
    Rohan ZEBIB, Eastwood - Front Row
    Andrew DAVIES, Warringah - Second Row
    Ed CRAIG, Eastwood - Hooker, Second Row, Utlilty
    Declan MOORE, Manly - Back Row
    Mitchell CALDWELL, Eastwood - Back Row
    Nick NEWMAN, Manly - Halfback
    Ben CRERAR, Manly - Flyhalf
    Niko FIAPULENIKO, Eastwood - Wing
    Thomas HALL, Eastwood - Centre
    Lachlan BURLAND, Eastwood - Centre/Wing
    Harrison LOWE, Manly - Wing
    Ben FONTAINE, Warringah - Fullback
    Robert HILL , Warringah - Front Row
    Scott MORAN, Manly - Centre

From NSW Country JRU
    Kieren BONIN, Illawarra - Second Row
    Patrick BYRNE, Illawarra - Back Row, Utility
    Travis DOMBROSKI, Illawarra - Fullback
    Jai GUNTON, Central West - Front Row
    Lachlan KING, Illawarra - Front Row
    Nathan McPHERSON, Far North Coast - Flyhalf
    Ted PYE, Far North Coast - halfback
    Gareth THOMAS, Illawarra - Utility forward

Anyone's guess as to the positions or run on squad.

Source:
    Rugby Mum likes this.
  18. Hugh Jarse Rocky Elsom (76)

NSW U15 Squad

From Sydney JRU
    Bradley AMITUANAI, Norths - Back Row
    James ARMSTRONG, Gordon - Wing
    Leo BOSCH, Gordon - Full back
    Marcus BRITT, Norths - Back Row
    Manu DELAHOYA, Penrith - Back Row
    Cameron FAZZARI, Norths - Front Row
    Luke LOUGH, Gordon - Centre
    Jack MANN, Eastwood - Flyhalf
    Luke RIXON, Norths - Halfback
    Lachlan ROSE, Warringah - Second Row
    Charlie SMITH, Norths - Wing
    William WENNERBOM, Norths - Flyhalf

From NSW Country JRU
    Jeremy ABDULLAH, Central Coast - Centre
    William COLEMAN Narromine JRU - Front Row
    James JAGOT, Illawarra - Back Row
    Taulogo LALAGA, Hunter - Wing
    Saimone LASALO, ?? not in programme
    Dan MATTHEW, Central Coast, Front Row
    Finn McELROY, Far North Coast, Back Row
    Brendon NEVILLE, Illawarra, Back Row
    Liam RASCH, Illawarra, Second Row
    Benjamin SCHAEFER, Far North Coast, Front Row
    Blake SCHOUPP, Illawarra, Front Row

Anyone's guess as to the positions or run on squad.

Source:

Congratulations to all boys selected. Stay fit, train hard, there is any number of kids ready to take your place.
    To those who missed out, Stay fit, train hard, there is always next year.
    Rugby Mum likes this.
  19. Hugh Jarse Rocky Elsom (76)

There is a common thread here.

It is great to see that good administration is not just something that we must suffer under here in the big smoke.
  20. Aurora Australis Frank Nicholson (4)

Thanks for the photo showing the shorts issue with the Sydney 16s
    Funnily enough it also shows the ref didn't have the same issue when the country lads lifted on the legs re the back pod
    The Spectator likes this.