• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Junior Rugby Union - 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brainstrust

Watty Friend (18)
Certainly agree with your outlook toprovide something different than the current format..but for AAGPS it isnt just aths and rowing. A lot of the elevated rugby talent are also generally strong at summer sports as well, so from 16's up, proabably playing 1's or 2's cricket, basketball, what ever, and participating in games of rugby wouldnt thrill those coaches either..
Its been kicked around over the years to run a rep season on top of the club season..this concept has always failed for obvious reasons of destroying club sides that have a lot rep players in it..maybe the answer is to run expanded rep squads under this concept, say 32 players not 23.. and dictate that players have to play 8 or 9 club games as well..so effectively a rotational system between rep and club..not sure on logistics but it may be a starting point to having a genuine rep season, keeping players in the club scene but reducing their work load..so no 4 game loop hole, but a genuine contribution to their club, but not so much that it is too much to consider for those boys playing opens...

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The Blacktown Council Wet Weather Web site says all ovals are closed.

The Juniors must have some connections, or I wouldn't want to have to face all the parents and kids who make the trip out to Grantham (with snorkels and flippers) if some officious bureaucrat Ranger from Blacktown Council is out there and calls the whole thing off.

There has been a ton of rain over night.

Are the CHS tournament organisers (AKA droughtbusters) behind this?:)

juniors spectator

Stan Wickham (3)
The Blacktown Council Wet Weather Web site says all ovals are closed.

The Juniors must have some connections, or I wouldn't want to have to face all the parents and kids who make the trip out to Grantham (with snorkels and flippers) if some officious bureaucrat Ranger from Blacktown Council is out there and calls the whole thing off.

There has been a ton of rain over night.

A great day at Blacktown although it rained all day. The main field looked almost perfect after 4 games. A well organised day with Western Zone looking the tournament winners in both age groups.
A 17s game held on the top field was the selection trial for the Sydney team....not sure if announced on the day or later.
Some very wet exhausted players will enjoy a hot bath after a good days rugby!

Wood Rat

Alfred Walker (16)
I would think the Northern lads will have been stung after the match against the Barbars. MNZ should come out fairly hungry in the morning I wouldn't go tearing up any tickets yet.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Sydney Under 17 Squad finally announced.
Congratulations to all the boys.
Lochie ADAIR, Wests
Austin BLACK, Wests
Lachlan BURLAND, Eastwood
Mitchell CALDWELL, Eastwood
Ben CRERAR, Manly
William CRONIN, Manly
Conor DAVIDSON, Manly
Andrew DAVIES, Warringah
Niko FIAPULENIKO, Eastwood
Ben FONTAINE, Warringah
Thomas HALL, Eastwood
Robert HILL , Warringah
Harrison LOWE, Manly
Joshua LYNCH, Eastwood
Tully MACPHERSON, Penrith
Joshua MARTIN, Penrith
Declan MOORE, Manly
Scott MORAN, Manly
Nareg NAZARIAN, Eastwood
Nick NEWMAN, Manly
Lucas PRICE, Warringah
Scott WILLIAMS, Manly
Rohan ZEBIB, Eastwood

For those who like to count things:
Manly 8
Eastwood 7
Warringah 4
Penrith 2
Wests 2

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Sydney Under 15's announced
Congratulations to all the boys
Bradley AMITUANAI, Norths
Mason BINGE, Warringah
Leo BOSCH, Gordon
Marcus BRITT, Norths
Cameron FAZZARI, Norths
Edward GREGORY, Norths
Jake HEDGE, Norths
Saimone LASALO, Penrith
Luke LOUGH, Gordon
Jack MANN, Eastwood
Delohoya MANU, Penrith
Samuel MATENGA, Randwick
Jack ONGOSIA, Gordon
Matthew ORPEN, Eastwood
Chase PAEA, Randwick
Luke RIXON, Norths
Lachlan ROSE, Warringah
Kariatiana SAU, Southern Districts
Charlie SMITH, Norths
Angus SPICER, Eastwood
Tyrone TAUKAMO, Randwick
William WENNERBOM, Norths
Josh ZUBAK, Norths

For those who like to count things:
Norths 9
Eastwood 3
Warringah 2
Randwick 3
Southern Districts 1
Penrith 2
Gordon 3

Sydney Rugby tragic

Peter Burge (5)
Yuk there's that stench of politics/ bias/favouritism
looking at the squad it is a joke along with
the full trial / selection scenario .
No Southd boys which it was set up for.
Certain 16yr boy playing 1st grade colts ,
Playing rather well & holding his own at that level
can't get a place in the 28 for the u-17s
Apparently played well at both 9 & 10 in the trial .
We welcome him back to country next yr if he wants .

rugby convert

Frank Row (1)
I was at the West Harbour v Parra games
yesterday & watched Sydney u-17 half back play 3rd grade colts who was ordinary in usual 3rd grade standard
Then watched a discarded half back play 1st grade colts & have a
very outstanding game
I don't know what the selectors look at !

Rugby Mum

Watty Friend (18)
I was at the West Harbour v Parra games
yesterday & watched Sydney u-17 half back play 3rd grade colts who was ordinary in usual 3rd grade standard
Then watched a discarded half back play 1st grade colts & have a
very outstanding game
I don't know what the selectors look at !
Do they actually look or watch for recognisable names known to them and other Important People in the rugby circles. Tommy is an outstanding player, playing first grade colts, who will go places regardless of whom recognises him as a talented player. It is Sydney s loss not to have selected him. Lucky there is rugby after Juniors!!!!!!

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Is Sowden being penalised by the Faceless Men at SJRU for having the gall to play Colts and not SJRU with Wests Juniors Opens team?

Wouldn't surprise me in the least.

Rugby Mum

Watty Friend (18)
Is Sowden being penalised by the Faceless Men at SJRU for having the gall to play Colts and not SJRU with Wests Juniors Opens team?

Wouldn't surprise me in the least.
I d like to hope that they are unaware of him. Maybe putting size over skill, talent ability and BALLS, all of which he possess.i am sure he is enjoying the experience of playing 1st colts, as he has certainly matched some of the older players. The pessimistic side of me says he isn't the son of a friend or executive!!!!!! And is another victim of the faceless men in the high and mighty positions of junior rugby.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The SJRU Calendar on their web site gives the Sydney vs Country games as happening on 28 July at TBC.

Anyone with a snout able to confirm location and timings.

I am assuming Under 14, U15, U16 and U17 games, with the NSW State teams (or merit teams as the case may be) to be announced directly after the games.

Hopefully they will not need further trials to try and parachute a few special boys into the State Teams.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Found it on NSW Juniors web site:
http://nswjuniors.rugbynet.com.au/default.asp?id=201775
Tuesday, 2 July 2013

CITY VS COUNTRY DAY
This year the Annual City Vs Country day will be held at Forshaw Rugby Park on Sunday July 28th.
4 teams will compete for the trophies:
U14s at 10am compete for the Tim Gavin Shield
U15s at 11am for the Steve Tuynman Cup
U16s at 12.30pm for the Ella Cup
U17s at 2pm for the Michael Brial Cup.

Interesting that the NSW Juniors use City vs Country (Greco-Roman Rugby terminology) rather than Sydney vs Country.

Gooner

Allen Oxlade (6)
The SJRU Calendar on their web site gives the Sydney vs Country games as happening on 28 July at TBC.

Anyone with a snout able to confirm location and timings.

I am assuming Under 14, U15, U16 and U17 games, with the NSW State teams (or merit teams as the case may be) to be announced directly after the games.

Hopefully they will not need further trials to try and parachute a few special boys into the State Teams.

HJ - SJRU U16 also play Japanese School side @ Trinity this Sunday 21 July.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
IIRC Sydney U16 played a similar team last year as well.

I think the scoreline was well in Sydney's favour, but I can't find a reference to it anywhere.

Juniors U16 and U15 also played a game against ACT JRU in 2012.

Status
Not open for further replies.