• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Rays .. NRC Team Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Franchise officially confirmed by the Pulveriser today.

@Rugby Reg beats the NSW Franchises to get the first team thread up.

Time for those in the know to spill the beans. There is a lot to be done in a short space of time, but it sounds like the leadership team under Gary Flowers have it all under control.

Details please:
Coach/s:
Colours:
Playing strip:
Logo:
Playing Roster:
Membership Packages:
Food and Beverage options at the BBQ:

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
This team could be rather powerful- possible team list;

1. Eddie Aholelei (Manly - Rebels)
2. Luke Holmes (Warringah)
3. Salesi Manu (Warringah - Force)
4. Greg Peterson (Manly)
5. Rory Walton (Norths - Force)
6. Caydern Neville (Manly - Rebels)
7. Jordy Reid (Manly - Rebels)
8. Jordan Smiler (Norths - ACT)
9. Josh Holmes (Warringah)
10. Zac Holmes (Norths - Perth)
11. Cameron Crawford (Norths)
12. Lalakai Foketi (Manly - Rebels)
13. Chris Tuatara Morrison (Norths - Perth)
14. ?
15. Hamish Angus (Warringah)

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
There is talk that if you may only be eligible if you played juniors or colts in the local area (area includes Central Coast as well I think, potentially Newcastle). And also are still playing at one of the four clubs now.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Would those players contracted to other Super franchises be required to stay and play for the NRC team of that franchise?

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Would those players contracted to other Super franchises be required to stay and play for the NRC team of that franchise?

From what i've read here - I.e. rebs can pick their ?15, 16, 17 18? players and the others can return. Does that make sense.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)

4. Greg Peterson (Manly)
14. ?

14 - Alex Northam

I like to watch

David Codey (61)

4. Greg Peterson (Manly)
14. ?
Ed Gower is much better than Peterson.
Not sure about either of your centres either.
Not sure Foketi has done anything to leapfrog Hingano.
CTM had good form in the SS 2 years ago.
I would pick Treweek over Angus at 15 as well

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Ed Gower is much better than Peterson.
Not sure about either of your centres either.
Not sure Foketi has done anything to leapfrog Hingano.
CTM had good form in the SS 2 years ago.
I would pick Treweek over Angus at 15 as well

Season is still very raw, i agree with these points. I'm one eyed but;
Dane Maraki was off the radar last year due to injury, 2012 he tore the house down.
Matt Lucas is another player not mentioned.
Holmes & Porecki - different stages of their career but both worthy.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
As for the make-up of the teams/squads I suppose it depends on what we want out of it. Is it a competition where winning it is the most important thing and gives some bragging rights. If so then the make-up of teams would be those already identified, tried and experienced grade players. the late 20's to 30 year olds.

If the competition is to develop players to step up in future to Super and Test level then some thought must be given to selecting a fair sample of 21-25 year olds in your squad and relying on the returning Super players to give experience and mentor these players.

The team selected above has a good blend of younger players (Northam, Foketi and Hingano) with those that have been given some chance in the past. Poreki would be a good inclusion as a very promising prop and is only 22. Other young players would be Killingsworth from Warringah, Broome from Gordon and Wells and Miller from Norths.

I for one hope that a fair number of young players are included in the 30 man squad rather than fill it up with the older player

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Some very good young players listed ^^^^^ there ILMF look forward to Shute so they can really stand up.

Stag XV

Frank Nicholson (4)

4. Greg Peterson (Manly)
14. ?

Four clubs are in this franchise aren't they? (financially all equal participants too from what I understood)

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Four clubs are in this franchise aren't they? (financially all equal participants too from what I understood)
Pm sent.
I'd like to see the strongest possible team.
I'd like to see good development and plans going forward.
There may have an imbalance of players at the start.

An example of development plans - have equal colts from each club involved with training and development now.

The powers to be for North Harbor have been very professional to date, with a bit of luck they are taking that professional approach all the way through to back to back titles.
The kids on the North Shore, and the Peninsular grow rugby have a winning team to follow and I can see a all club benefiting over time by being involved with a winning rep team.

hawktrain

Ted Thorn (20)
There is talk that if you may only be eligible if you played juniors or colts in the local area (area includes Central Coast as well I think, potentially Newcastle). And also are still playing at one of the four clubs now.

Wouldn't Central Coast and Newcastle juniors go to the NSW Country side?

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
Wouldn't Central Coast and Newcastle juniors go to the NSW Country side?

Yes potentially different ball game if they are playing in Sydney at the moment though.

I imagine a guy like Dylan Evans who plays in Newcastle and was rock solid for Sydney Uni a few years ago might get a crack in a NSW country side.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

4. Greg Peterson (Manly)
14. ?

I would replace Josh Holmes with a Super Rugby player such as Matt Lucas (Manly) or Michael Dowsett (Brumbies/formerly of Norths).........

Stag XV

Frank Nicholson (4)
Pm sent.
I'd like to see the strongest possible team.
I'd like to see good development and plans going forward.
There may have an imbalance of players at the start.

An example of development plans - have equal colts from each club involved with training and development now.

The powers to be for North Harbor have been very professional to date, with a bit of luck they are taking that professional approach all the way through to back to back titles.
The kids on the North Shore, and the Peninsular grow rugby have a winning team to follow and I can see a all club benefiting over time by being involved with a winning rep team.
Agree, I want to see the NRC and our North Harbour side succeed and remember the great feeling all clubs involved felt when the Rays succeeded in 07.

We just need to be careful in these early years. I know what you mean about taking a professional approach and trying to leave club loyalty to the side in some instances. But I am a little worried about the potential damage to Gordon's recruitment plans for Colts which needs a couple of good years to get back where it needs to be. If during this fragile stage young players see the other 3 clubs as being an easier path to NRC through each clubs relative representation in the Rays side Gordon will struggle to maintain their momentum.

In saying that, the proposal to have equal colts numbers from each club would help. I'm just a little worried.

Status
Not open for further replies.