• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Rays .. NRC Team Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Agree, I want to see the NRC and our North Harbour side succeed and remember the great feeling all clubs involved felt when the Rays succeeded in 07.

We just need to be careful in these early years. I know what you mean about taking a professional approach and trying to leave club loyalty to the side in some instances. But I am a little worried about the potential damage to Gordon's recruitment plans for Colts which needs a couple of good years to get back where it needs to be. If during this fragile stage young players see the other 3 clubs as being an easier path to NRC through each clubs relative representation in the Rays side Gordon will struggle to maintain their momentum.

In saying that, the proposal to have equal colts numbers from each club would help. I'm just a little worried.

Great response, and I'm sure the Powers to be would like to see the 4 teams being 1, 2, 3, 4 on the colts table.

blindside

Stan Wickham (3)
It would be a great shame to see L.Holmes picked over D.Porecki for this team. The whole idea of the NRC is for players like Porecki, looking for that opportunity. Wouldn't picking Holmes - a player given numerous chances with Super rugby Clubs be a backward step??

In saying that, let's sit back and see how they both perform in the Shute Shield before making any observations.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
It would be a great shame to see L.Holmes picked over D.Porecki for this team. The whole idea of the NRC is for players like Porecki, looking for that opportunity. Wouldn't picking Holmes - a player given numerous chances with Super rugby Clubs be a backward step??

In saying that, let's sit back and see how they both perform in the Shute Shield before making any observations.

Agree.
You've made a comeback - up the posting frequency;)

howyagoin

Ted Fahey (11)
Who's to say players like Gower, Holmes, sefanaia & players in that sort of category are wanting to take 10 weeks off work to play in this comp for peanuts? It'll mostly be the super players & the guys studying etc

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
I'd imagine experienced guys like Alexander, Gower, Holmes etc would use this competition to prove to Super franchises that they are worthy of a decent contract.

howyagoin

Ted Fahey (11)
Or that they don't have a desire to play higher anymore & family & their current job are ranked higher in their priority list

Pash from Manly

Frank Row (1)
From what I understood from the first articles about the Rays (in the Manly Daily I think), it was going to be equal representation from each of the four clubs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

howyagoin

Ted Fahey (11)
Let's just hope that players are picked on merit, not what club they are from. Strongest possible team is on the park. Sort of goes the South African way of sporting teams if you don't... Having to pick a certain number of coloured players in their sporting teams.

Pash from Manly

Frank Row (1)
@howyagoing, @davebeat. Here is the link to what I read (http://gordonrugby.com.au/indexa1.p...ews-December-2013^Gordon-Rugby-Third-Teir`245), tell me I read it wrong because it's a bit worrying. If, for example manly has the best tight head in the comp and has 4 other great players, and Gordon has a good tight head but no other real options for inclusion. Does that mean the Gordon tight head gets in the team at the expense of the manly one? Nothing against Gordon, just a hypothetical. :eek:)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
You having a sleepless night worrying about this - wtf are you posting a 2am for. Pretty sure the powers to be have that covered

The Butts

Herbert Moran (7)
I would imagine that the clubs involved would have organised the "numbers" problem well before hand. Just having four of the traditional rivals in the Shute Shield coming together so well, to put in (and win) a position, shows they are in a happy place.
No use worrying - that is what the "big wigs" at each of the clubs is paid the big bucks for :p

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Some people seem to worrying unduly about team quotas etc. As the Gordon website makes clear, all clubs will have equal involvement and players from all clubs will have equal opportunity, but this doesn't mean that the 23 man squad for any game will have an equal number of players from each SS club. That would be complete lunacy.

An equal number of players from each participating club to be engaged in the joint venture with the balance of the squad made up on an “as needs” basis regardless of club of origin;

No coach in their right mind would accept a role where he had to pick a certain number of players from 4 different clubs every week. It's totally unrealistic. They'll pick the best 23 each week and each club will enjoy equal rights and benefits from being involved. They aren't the same thing.

The Butts

Herbert Moran (7)
Announced in today's Manly daily ahead of the epic clash tomorrow between the Marlins & Rats.

Head Coach: Phil Blake
Assistants: Haig Sare, Scott Fava & the bloke coaching Gordon

Be nice if the name of the "bloke" was used. It is GEOFF TOWNSEND who has quite a nice coaching history.
Coaching Consultant - Sydney University 2011 – 2012

Assistant Coach - Western Force 2009 - 2010

Academy Head Coach - Western Force 2007 - 2009
Head Coach - Southern Districts 2004 – 2006

Coach/Technical Advisor - Tokyo University 2002 – 2004
Educator and Presenter - ARU Smart Rugby Program 2001 - 2

Coach/Technical Advisor - Kobe Steelers 2001

Co-Coach - First Grade Manly 1999 - 2000

Co-Coach - NSW U19’s 1997 - 99

Bit more respect please.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Be nice if the name of the "bloke" was used. It is GEOFF TOWNSEND who has quite a nice coaching history.

Bit more respect please.
Very sure it was only because the name was not known.
Hope you guys get up tomorrow

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

Bit more respect please.

Good post Geoff. Good luck with the coaching.

Status
Not open for further replies.