• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney siders, some advice please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
It's not the actual train trip that is making it expensive. Rather, it is the station access fee that you have to pay for the privilege of using the airport stations as the stations are not owned by Cityrail, but a private company, Airport Link, which I understand is owned by Westpac.

The company owns four stations: Green Square, Mascot and the two airport stations. The NSW government pays the access fee for Green Square and Mascot, but does not for the other two. Without the station access fee, it would cost about $4.20 from the airport to the CBD.

In comparison with airport services in other cities, it is not that expensive. However, do they have dedicated airport trains as you just get a regular Cityrail service in Sydney. It's OK if you don't have much luggage during peak hour, but it could be a tight squeeze otherwise.

For locals, the 400 bus route is OK if you're travelling anywhere between Bondi, airport, Rockdale, Campsie and Burwood.

MrMouse

Bob Loudon (25)
The man's a tourist, not a marathon runner, MrM: the Princes Highway's about 5km from the domestic terminals. And with a bag'n'all...
True dat, I was thinking more of the international terminal.

I'm going to go with he's both a marathon runner AND a tourist, and he's not bringing any luggage because the ACT is now officially a nudist territory. Hence the 4-5km (from domestic - it's 10min walk from International) will take just a few minutes.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
True dat, I was thinking more of the international terminal.

I'm going to go with he's both a marathon runner AND a tourist, and he's not bringing any luggage because the ACT is now officially a nudist territory. Hence the 4-5km (from domestic - it's 10min walk from International) will take just a few minutes.

If you are walking to the princess highway from intl, you may as well keep going for another 3 mins to wolli creek station and get the train for a third of the price.

MrMouse

Bob Loudon (25)
If you are walking to the princess highway from intl, you may as well keep going for another 3 mins to wolli creek station and get the train for a third of the price.
?? Train to central = $3.40, bus to Central = well it depends...$2.10-$3.50 depending on your honesty.

I live in Glebe so the bus has other advantages, too, but it's hardly 3x the cost.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
I might well be available to meet you for a beer, if you're keen. Let me know, if so, and maybe we can tee something up.
Maybe some others will be around?
That would be great. It would be great to meet some of you in person.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
?? Train to central = $3.40, bus to Central = well it depends...$2.10-$3.50 depending on your honesty.

I live in Glebe so the bus has other advantages, too, but it's hardly 3x the cost.
I meant 1/3rd of the cost of the train from the airport station.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Just found out that my brother is staying at the Cambridge Hotel. He says it is about a 15 minute walk from central.

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Just found out that my brother is staying at the Cambridge Hotel. He says it is about a 15 minute walk from central.

Have put my kids there when I was living in Sydney, it's not a bad hotel if you can get a good price...and it's v close to Oxford St!

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Not to butt in but there are some very good pubs/bars and restaurants on and around oxford st these days...

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)

Ruggo, from where you are staying there are a huge amount of great watering holes and places to eat. Just walk along crown street (which is 50metres away) until you find what you are after.

Recommendations (within a few minutes walk from your hotel);

Go to this place for a burger. It is awesome and cheap! One of the best kept secrets on Crown St...
http://www.jazzcitydiner.com/

Then wander about 30m up, turn left into the alleyway. You will see an unassuming white door. Push that open and you will shocked to find a bar modelled on a room out of the wild west, with moose heads on the walls and 150 different types of beer. Free peanuts as well!
Shady Pines Saloon
http://shadypinessaloon.com/contact.htm

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
I would be walking up the hill to Surry Hills, Clock Hotel is a nice pub

Also a great option. You cant go wrong in that part of Sydney. If you do go up the hill, try this place for breaky- one of the best in Sydney;

Cafe Mint is famous for it's Modern Middle Eastern Cuisine, from Morocco to Turkey and beyond. Located on Crown Street in Surry Hills, NSW.
http://www.cafemint.com.au/

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Also a great option. You cant go wrong in that part of Sydney. If you do go up the hill, try this place for breaky- one of the best in Sydney;

Cafe Mint is famous for it's Modern Middle Eastern Cuisine, from Morocco to Turkey and beyond. Located on Crown Street in Surry Hills, NSW.
http://www.cafemint.com.au/

or Bills at Surry Hills
http://www.bills.com.au/
It also does a good feed for Dinner

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
If you're going to Surry Hills, try the Carrington Hotel on Bourke St - great affordable food, Spanish influenced. Have had lunch a couple of times and not disappointed.
Also Forresters Hotel, corner Riley and Foveaux Sts. Supposed to be nice, might go next week to try it.

Status
Not open for further replies.