• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Stars . NRC Official Team Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^ But a team very similar to that was not able to beat the Hobbits or the MMM in the Shute Shield Finals.

@Kiap, There were only 14 images on my Getty images "find".

I didn't bother checking the Zimbio page that also popped up from my original Googling.
Following that link, Wikipedia seems to be wrong-ish.

The photo of Ben Hughes in the Zimbio photos is the bloke that plays #10 and I'm pretty sure that he is an Australian lad, not a pom.

Calum Bucking - Loose Forward is a player with a headshot photo on the Zimbio site that is not in the Wikipedia squad.

Tim Davidson appears in a Hoodie not a player jumper. I suspect that he will not be playing.

Some of the headshots don't seem to load with a caption. There may be other A.N. Others in the squad.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
I didn't bother checking the Zimbio page that also popped up from my original Googling.
Following that link, Wikipedia seems to be wrong-ish.

Nothing new there, though.

Strange that some colts players are there but starters for the dominant NSW U20s side aren't like McCalman and Williams.
There's quite a lot of mugshots, also. Perhaps not all will be in the proper squad.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
48 mug shots. Looks like there are three coaches/assistant coaches, and a doctor leaving 44-ish "players".

Some of them must be "development" players - the Colts players, the players from Uni 2nd Grade and some of the Balmain boys, and they are unlikely to see much game or bench time unless there is a fairly hefty injury toll.

Most of the other NRC franchises have named squads of around 30 something players.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
^^^ But a team very similar to that was not able to beat the Hobbits or the MMM in the Shute Shield Finals.

Yes but the Uni side was hindered by trying to stay under the player points cap. Tilse and Latu playing out of position to make things work just didn't work. I get the feeling that Draper was in front of Gordon for the same reason. Also interesting that neither of the starting wingers are in the squad so far.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
I have reliable info' that the Stars wanted their Balmain players early (i.e. before the home and away matches had finished, and before the finals series had finished), and that Warren Livingstone basically told them to "fuck off".
Interesting times.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
still no team named. This can't end well.

Nah. Unlike everyone else if you've kept an eye on the Shute Shield and Sydney Uni then you practically already have your head around what the squad will look like with the exception of the ring ins like Harry Jones.

Don't worry. They'll have a team come next Saturday to run out on the pitch.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
still no team named. This can't end well.

When do the squads need to be "registered" with HQ NRC?

Some of the other franchises still have a couple of positions still in the TBA category.

You'd imagine that the Broadcasters need to spend some time familiarising themselves with the names, faces, and scrapbooks of some of the not so well known players in the franchises so they can add the necessary "colour" and background info like this:
<examples only - all made up>
The no 13 for the Rays went to the same school as Michael Hooper and scored a try in the opening Junior World Cup match against Namibia in 2012.
The flanker with the red hair for the Rising is Peter Hebblethwaite and he played all his junior rugby for the Melbourne Harlequins as a fullback before switching to the forwards at Trinity Grammer. His father was a leading goal kicker for the Richmond Tigers AFL team in the mid eighties.
Henry Tuimola was the leading try scorer in the Brisbane GPS competition in 2010, and his record for the Under 18 200 metres at Toowong Little Athletics still stands today.
Oliver Campbell from the Brothers Club, runs on being substituted for his schoolboy hero Liam Gill.
Sione Ta'afu is the nephew of Willie O, but you wouldn't think so looking at his 85 kg size and the way he manages to get the Country backs organised. I have never seen him kick the ball out on the full from phase play.

With less than a week to go to the start, the Stars seem to be cutting it a little fine.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Sent out message to mates that going to Stars away game at Manly oval next weekend - may be premature as still no sign of official team announced yet....

Hmmm...not exactly big pre launch going on for Stars

T

Train Without a Station

I was happy to defend the stars last year and was confident with their resources they would improve in 2015 but it's not looking good right now. If they don't sort their shit out and at least finish towards the middle I think they should be cut for 2016.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
the Stars are going to struggle to be mid table aren't they. one would assume the Spirit, Rising, at least one of the two Queensland teams, Vikings and the Rays ? will be above them based on playing talent alone.

T

Train Without a Station

You can't exactly help the talent available in a semi pro competition. There's little opportunity to recruit.

I was very disappointed with the Stars players physically though. They looked weak and unfit. Given the rushed process last year I haven't felt it should be held against them. The same failure this year will show they have not made the effort to at least best prepare they players that they do have.

T

TOCC

Vikings had some quality playing talent in 2014 as well, they disappointed in their performances though..

Pass it to Dunning!

Bob Loudon (25)
I don't think the Stars have updated their Facebook page in a few months. I don't get how they can neglect literally the easiest way to promote themselves.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Probably because they don't care about the NRC

Well, then this should be their last season. If they aren't taking it seriously then they should be put aside either for another team or rationalisation.

I'm not too concerned about them not naming their squad. But it takes little effort to update your social media sources. Literally a few minutes at a time.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
good signing

Because the Rising already had their quota of Super Rugby players and he wasn't wanted in the QLD teams.

He's also better than Coolican who would have been Latu's back up. This way assuming Latu is given first go he has someone on his heels pressuring him to perform. Actually a pretty big plus for the Stars.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
I'd assume he'd get the start in the first game as a benefit to the Wobblies, but then he'd be off to the USA with the squad I'd assume.

If Toby gets allocated to one of the teams, I'd assume the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.