• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Stars . NRC Official Team Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
I'd assume he'd get the start in the first game as a benefit to the Wobblies, but then he'd be off to the USA with the squad I'd assume.

If Toby gets allocated to one of the teams, I'd assume the same thing.

Exactly so not sure what benefit the Stars actually get from this.

Learned One

Allen Oxlade (6)
Yes but the Uni side was hindered by trying to stay under the player points cap. Tilse and Latu playing out of position to make things work just didn't work. I get the feeling that Draper was in front of Gordon for the same reason. Also interesting that neither of the starting wingers are in the squad so far.

Yes, very interesting the starting right wing,Matt Narracott, who played so well against Manly in the Shute semi-final, isn't in this squad. Backed it up with another great game at 15 in the 2nd grade GF, after yo-yoing between the Sevens Development camp by day and Uni training at night!!
Match fit and flying.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^ Pat McCutcheon has been drafted into the Rugby 7's programme for next year yet he has been named as the Stars Captain, so I'm not sure that it is a Rugby 7's vs NRC decision that Narracott has made.

Watching the last few games of The Corporation in Shute Shield, their opposition seemed to target Narracott's wing for their post oranges scoring blitz. IIRC both the Hobbits and MMM scored a couple of tries each, out wide on his wing in the QF and SF. He has gas to burn and can tackle, but his diminutive size seemed to count against him on defence, and he can sometimes be found out of position. A more ponderous player wouldn't have to cover so much ground to get back into position on D after an attacking surge. Perhaps this was because he was covering for Kingston, who's positional play was more reminiscent of that of a wing than a fullback?

Sometimes we expect our emerging players to be miracle workers from day 1. This is Narracott's first year of Grade footy, and he will probably get better with time and experience.

T

TOCC

Australian 7's has a training camp and mini-tournament against the New Zealand 7's team in September and the Oceania Olympic Qualifying tournament will be held in Auckland 14-15th November. So i expect player availability of Australian 7's players during the NRC will be hit and miss. Sydney Stars will likely be without their captain Pat McCutcheon for much of the tournament

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
Australian 7's has a training camp and mini-tournament against the New Zealand 7's team in September and the Oceania Olympic Qualifying tournament will be held in Auckland 14-15th November. So i expect player availability of Australian 7's players during the NRC will be hit and miss. Sydney Stars will likely be without their captain Pat McCutcheon for much of the tournament

you'd think DD would step into the role quite admirably

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Can't make the game on Saturday but I'll be at Leichardt on the first home game.

Thanks for the Preview Smartarse, I'm just back from holidays to the Reds implosion, really pleased to see the info on a team within walking distance.

Great to see Hanson on board. That front row has to be one of the best in the NRC.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
Full team:
1. TOLU LATU (SYDNEY UNI)
2. JAMES HANSON (MELBOURNE REBELS)
3. TOM ROBERTSON (SYDNEY UNI)
4. ANDREW LEOTA (SOUTHERN DISTRICTS)
5. MATT PHILIP (SYDNEY UNI)
6. DAVE DENNIS (SYDNEY UNI)
7. DAVID HICKEY (C) (SYDNEY UNI)
8. PAT MCCUTCHEON (SYDNEY UNI)
9. JAKE GORDON (SYDNEY UNI)
10. ANGUS ROBERTS (SYDNEY UNI)
11. HARRY JONES (WARRINGAH)
12. ANDREW ROBINSON (CANBERRA VIKINGS)
13. JIM STEWART (SYDNEY UNI)
14. HENRY CLUNIES ROSS (SYDNEY UNI)
15. TOM KINGSTON (VC) (SYDNEY UNI)
16. TOM COOLICAN (SYDNEY UNI)
17. JEREMY TILSE (SYDNEY UNI)
18. MATT SANDELL (SYDNEY UNI)
19. ROHAN O'REAGAN (SYDNEY UNI)
20. JAKE WAINWRIGHT (SYDNEY UNI)
21. RICHARD DRAPER (SYDNEY UNI)
22. JORDAN MCGREGOR (SOUTHERN DISTRICTS)
23. JOHN HALE (BALMAIN)
24. OFA FINAU (BALMAIN)

A few surprises in there.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Full team:

1. TOLU LATU (SYDNEY UNI)

2. JAMES HANSON (MELBOURNE REBELS)

3. TOM ROBERTSON (SYDNEY UNI)

4. ANDREW LEOTA (SOUTHERN DISTRICTS)

5. MATT PHILIP (SYDNEY UNI)

6. DAVE DENNIS (SYDNEY UNI)

7. DAVID HICKEY (C) (SYDNEY UNI)

8. PAT MCCUTCHEON (SYDNEY UNI)

9. JAKE GORDON (SYDNEY UNI)

10. ANGUS ROBERTS (SYDNEY UNI)

11. HARRY JONES (WARRINGAH)

12. ANDREW ROBINSON (CANBERRA VIKINGS)

13. JIM STEWART (SYDNEY UNI)

14. HENRY CLUNIES ROSS (SYDNEY UNI)

15. TOM KINGSTON (VC) (SYDNEY UNI)

16. TOM COOLICAN (SYDNEY UNI)

17. JEREMY TILSE (SYDNEY UNI)

18. MATT SANDELL (SYDNEY UNI)

19. ROHAN O'REAGAN (SYDNEY UNI)

20. JAKE WAINWRIGHT (SYDNEY UNI)

21. RICHARD DRAPER (SYDNEY UNI)

22. JORDAN MCGREGOR (SOUTHERN DISTRICTS)

23. JOHN HALE (BALMAIN)

24. OFA FINAU (BALMAIN)

A few surprises in there.

Actually a very good side....I am going out to Manly Oval to watch first 'away' game this Saturday (went to all home games last year). I think we will know when NRC has taken off when people not only go to home games but away games as well...

Looking forward to the game as much better squad this year which should make the Stars more competitive and some good players to watch to boot like Kingston, Dennis, Hansen, Latu etc

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Some interesting "outsiders" named in the 23 for Saturday.

Good to see Jordan McGregor get a gig. He is a cool customer and seemed to be a suitable replacement for Ben Vol au Vent at The Hobbits.

Not sure what to make of Latu as a starting LHP. Seemed to work for The Corporation in the Finals fixtures, and following a fine tradition of Waratah hookers who struggle to hit barn doors with their lineout throwing, things started to go crook with their lineout when Tolu started to throw the lineout for them.

Guess we won't see the Scots College halfback until after the AAGPS competition finishes (3 more rounds), and he'll probably be absent for the Australian Schools Barbarian games in late September.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Vikings had some quality playing talent in 2014 as well, they disappointed in their performances though..

Off topic, but I put their relatively disappointing performances down to poor game plans - they just didn't adapt to the open, attacking play that prevailed in the comp, favouring instead a forwards dominated approach. Hopefully, they have learnt their lesson.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Actually a very good side..I am going out to Manly Oval to watch first 'away' game this Saturday (went to all home games last year). I think we will know when NRC has taken off when people not only go to home games but away games as well.

Looking forward to the game as much better squad this year which should make the Stars more competitive and some good players to watch to boot like Kingston, Dennis, Hansen, Latu etc

I think the side has quite a few outstanding talents as well, Tom Robertson, Harry Jones, Andrew Robinson, Jim Stewart and Matt Sandell. All worth keeping an eye on.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
Weirdly, looks like they've gives Hickey the arm band too. I read it 9 times, and still think it might be a typo. Perhaps they know something about wallaby squad and sevens requirements that we don't....

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Dave Dennis and James Hanson not in RWC squad but they are off to the USA as Extended Wallaby Squad players for the USA Eagles Test.

Squad leaves after John Eales Medal dinner which is being held on 27 August for a Sep 5 game in Chicago. John Eales Medal Dinner coincides with the Stars Round 2 game, so probs wont see DD and Chibba there. They'll probably be back in town and right for Round 5 game on Sep 12 against the NSW Country Eagles.

MarkJ

Bob Loudon (25)
Off topic, but I put their relatively disappointing performances down to poor game plans - they just didn't adapt to the open, attacking play that prevailed in the comp, favouring instead a forwards dominated approach. Hopefully, they have learnt their lesson.

I wonder whether they were more interested in trying to get blokes used to the Brumbies 'system' in preparation for a possible step up to S15 rather than focusing on winning the NRC. Interesting whether that will be the case again this year. And of course there's the question of whether the Brumbies style of play will have to change when they no longer have White & Mogg's kicking distance.

Status
Not open for further replies.