• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Stars . NRC Official Team Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
Actually the Walabies are staying in America at University of Notre Dame for 2 weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
Team named for the Stars v QLD Country match

1.JEREMY TILSE (SYDNEY UNI)
2.JAMES HANSON (MELBOURNE REBELS)
3.TOM ROBERTSON (SYDNEY UNI)
4.ANDREW LEOTA (SOUTHERN DISTRICTS)
5.MATT PHILIP (SYDNEY UNI)
6.DAVE DENNIS (SYDNEY UNI)
7.DAVID HICKEY © (SYDNEY UNI)
8.PAT MCCUTCHEON (SYDNEY UNI)
9.JAKE GORDON (SYDNEY UNI)
10.ANGUS ROBERTS (SYDNEY UNI)
11.HARRY JONES (WARRINGAH)
12.ANDREW ROBINSON (CANBERRA VIKINGS)
13.JIM STEWART (SYDNEY UNI)
14.HENRY CLUNIES ROSS (SYDNEY UNI)
15.TOM KINGSTON (VC) (SYDNEY UNI)

16.TOM COOLICAN (SYDNEY UNI)
17.AL RYAN (SYDNEY UNI)
18.MATT SANDELL (SYDNEY UNI)
19.ROHAN O'REAGAN (SYDNEY UNI)
20.OFA FINAU (BALMAIN)
21.RICHARD DRAPER (SYDNEY UNI)
22.JORDAN MCGREGOR (SOUTHERN DISTRICTS)

23.JOHN HALE (BALMAIN)

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Expect the unexpected.

The Stars have procured naming rights to a star.
11891178_1051411921550634_7406098576178129602_n.jpg

Pic: AJF Photography Facebook

The International Star Registry has re-designated Star number Phoenix RA 0h 43m 38s D-50 14 as "Sydney Stars Rugby Union - Twinkle Twinkle"

The Team Song is "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star". Can't wait to see that on YouTube.:)

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I suspect this is the last season for Stars in present form - to be reborn is the hope...

Foxsports won't be happy with them telecasting a match with 300-300 spectators which makes me think why they have pushed the Vikings vs NSW Country as bigger box for replay of this weeks matches.

Love going to leichardt oval but not with such crap crowds (and nothing wrong with quality of football this season Stars playing)...but model is wrong....can't have NRC team linked to just one club of note (Uni).

I will go to remaining home games but looking to change for next season as this does nothing for NRC with such poor crowds

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Anyone catch the singing of the Team Song on NRC Extra Time last night?

Hasn't been posted on YouTube yet, but this is a close approximation albeit a little more theatrical than the Sydney Stars version.

Cpt Crow Eater

Chris McKivat (8)

The magic happens at the 2 minute mark.

I thought that was a bloody joke!

Maybe they tanked last year on purpose so they didn't have to embarrass themselves with that.......

fair dinkum.........

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Heading for first game at Leichardt tomorrow......was hoping to see Dennis play but seems rested......given Perth Spirit playing their two Super 15 centres I reckon will be tough game for Stars to win particularly given chosen to rest a lot of their Super 15 players like Dennis and Latu

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
Heading for first game at Leichardt tomorrow..was hoping to see Dennis play but seems rested..given Perth Spirit playing their two Super 15 centres I reckon will be tough game for Stars to win particularly given chosen to rest a lot of their Super 15 players like Dennis and Latu

SMH said Dennis was going to a wedding.

Learned One

Allen Oxlade (6)
I haven't seen a lot of Harry Jones so been watching the first 3 NRC rounds with great interest .He seems to kick the ball away whenever his space is shut down instead of taking contact and recycling . Also for such a big bloke , his tackling seems very suspect. Is this fair or is he just rusty after a long break due to injury?

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
There will be different views on Harry Jones kicking today as crowd who wants to watch ball in hand - groaned at times when he kicked but I saw it as tactically astute in majority of time as was marked well when kicked and made great gains on many kicks which set up stars for a number of tries - watch the replay and see for yourself (yes one kick perhaps tactically not right very early in the game which he himself apologised to team mates for but still led to a try!). Maybe slightly overdid the kicking but I can't really criticise as believe many stars territory gains and setup for tries were result of this from my watching of the game. What I liked is Hill has good running game but good boot to balance as for territory this is critical.

I thought his defence was okay and did not see any problems - maybe missed something. He pulled off cracker covering tackle with player who had made a break and seems to have good pace to boot as caught him up and mowed him down over the sideline.

Lot to like about Hill....as seems to have very good football awareness....not saying finished article but he seems to be thriving in the NRC environment in taking his game to next level which is what NRC all about

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I've got no particular axe to grind. And yes I'd pick up a better understanding by watching the replay.

Still, I felt the Stars kicking game was poor and in the first half suspect Spirit dominated possession on the back of this kicking game. 11 also looked to me too slow for the position. Of course it's hard to know whether he was putting his foot down when I was thinking this.

Entertaining afternoon, but I wouldn't say 11 was a highlight,

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Fair enough Dru as I switch sides of game to watch with family (to get out of sun) and hence saw a lot of 11 which may have blindsighted me

Need to see replay myself perhaps....but I still thought lot of 11's kicks set up Stars for good territory with at least 2/3 of these leading to tries...

Backs for stars were dominant in terms of scoreboard as most of stars breaks most through backline plays whilst from memory most of Spirit breaks/tries made through breaks through forwards....

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Well doing my bit as organising with another mate for a men of the village (we live in Five Dock) lads day out (about 20ish of us usually for these events) at one of remaining Stars games...

Still don't think this is enough...Leichardt awesome to watch rugby at...and quality of rugby very good this season....just need wider fan base behind us...Easts and Randwick and Uni.....lock them in a room and dont' let them out until they work out how to play together.....

Winning combo...as more than happy to go to couple of games in the east balanced with 1/2 games at Leichardt....

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
Well doing my bit as organising with another mate for a men of the village (we live in Five Dock) lads day out (about 20ish of us usually for these events) at one of remaining Stars games.

Still don't think this is enough.Leichardt awesome to watch rugby at.and quality of rugby very good this season..just need wider fan base behind us.Easts and Randwick and Uni...lock them in a room and dont' let them out until they work out how to play together...

Winning combo.as more than happy to go to couple of games in the east balanced with 1/2 games at Leichardt..
That makes sense . Think the Country arrangements with Easts & Wicks is not a long term winner

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
A lot of people might not know this about the inner west of Sydney but it is actually predicted to be one of the highest growth areas of Sydney over next 5-10 years due to significant investment in transport infrastructure etc....

Reason why had Tony Abbot make a lot of visits to schools etc in inner west as politically important corridor.

Hence, from strategic view point and long term game plan playing games in inner west important and why RAMS also play a home game at Concord Oval.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
HJ - Would Country Eagles really struggle? As they should be focussed on playing games out in the regions to grow regional market/interest.

As model should be perhaps that Country Eagles have the pick of players of country origin and if manage that ok.....I would have thought they would be fine....as lot of quality players of Country Origin like Carter etc etc

Don't want to weaken country eagles but having them aligned to two specific Sydney Shute Shield clubs does not seem way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.