• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Stars . NRC Official Team Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Train Without a Station

Laurie isn't a certainty to be in the squad though. If Alexander is back he will be the 3rd THP.

I'd imagine that unless they specifically want to look at Lahiff and PAE with more game time they would be wanting Weeks to stay.

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
What is the basis for this, Intruder? I wasn't aware that Laurie is coming off contract and I imagine he would be a strong possibility to be in the Wallabies squad. Having said that there is no one more committed to Sydney Uni, and by extension the Stars if he were available.

The Rebels have already named their 16 players internally and Laurie Weeks was not among those named instead the Rising will develop Cruize Ah Nau and Paul Alo Emile (Max Lahiff will join NSW Country for NRC). In the case that Laurie is named a Wallaby he might well join Higginbotham as a Wallaby representative but IMO Alexander will rejoin the squad

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
What about Laurie helping out his junior club, West Juniors, and turning out for the GS Rams? After all, WJ got him started along the path to rugby success.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
As these units are playing at Leichhardt oval, I guess I will be at a couple of their games

Walk to Le Grand Bouffe, lunch, stroll to the ground seems a nice way to spend an afternoon

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
As these units are playing at Leichhardt oval, I guess I will be at a couple of their games

Walk to Le Grand Bouffe, lunch, stroll to the ground seems a nice way to spend an afternoon
And I suppose, fp, as a long term Eastwood man, you will be very tempted to roar, "Get 'em onside, ref", whenever the Stars (Uni) are defending.

Le Grand Bouffe is one of the classier fast food joints in the area.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
And I suppose, fp, as a long term Eastwood man, you will be very tempted to roar, "Get 'em onside, ref", whenever the Stars (Uni) are defending.

Le Grand Bouffe is one of the classier fast food joints in the area.

after Eastwood's last effort against Uni, I was nearly feeling sorry for the dears, nearly

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Guys and Gals, if anyone is interested in covering these games for Green and Gold Rugby (match reviews and/or photos) please let us know. We obviously want to cover the comp pretty extensively but will need more hands on deck. We can provide a template for match reviews if needed. If you are interested leave a comment here or send a personal message. Cheers

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
Sydney Stars announcement of extended squad for Buildcorp NRC

ImageProxy.mvc

Sydney Stars Head Coach Chris Malone has named his extended 43-man squad for the inaugural Buildcorp National Rugby Championship (NRC) set to begin on August 21.
Following a lengthy selection process with assistant coaches Peter Playford, Cam Blades and Director of Rugby, Jack Farrer, the extended squad comprises of a diverse range of players, including capped Wallabies and Super Rugby players, as well as local talent. This process is in line with the strategic direction of the Sydney Stars, which is to draw from our clubs and build a pathway from our Juniors through to the Wallabies.
With this brand new tier of rugby in Australia aiming to provide an additional pathway for players to reach higher representative levels, the squad includes a number of young up and coming players interspersed with some very well established rugby names.
Malone is pleased with the balance of the squad and the opportunity the Buildcorp NRC gives many of the Star players to grow and gain experience against some of the top rugby players in Australia.
“It’s an exciting time for rugby in Australia at the moment” said Malone. “The Buildcorp NRC brings with it the potential for significant growth in our great game throughout the nation and is a great opportunity for all our players.”
“I am certain that the players that have been selected in our squad for 2014 are capable of performing at the next level. Although we know it will be challenging, we have some extraordinary talent and we’re eager to show it to the nation”.
Announced earlier this week, the squad will be captained by current NSW Waratah Pat McCutcheon, whose impressive leadership experience and clear commitment to the new team will be crucial in bringing together this brand new team.
“It's a massive honour to be appointed captain of the Stars for the inaugural Buildcorp NRC” said McCutcheon. “I’m looking forward to working closely with the Chris Malone and the coaching staff to ensure we have a rewarding and memorable experience through the competition.”
The Sydney Stars extended squad for 2014:
Forwards
Chapman, Jordan
Coolican, Thomas
Dessens, Hugo
Fainga'a, Folau
Hickey, David
Hodge, Byron
Kaveinga, Tipiloma
King, Alasdair
Latu, Silatolu
Philip, Matthew
McCutcheon, Patrick
Melrose, Benn
Quinn, Samuel
Robertson, Tomas
Ryan, Paddy
Sandell, Matthew
Skelton, William
Tilse, Jeremy
Tyler, Michael
Weeks, Laurie
Whiteley, Mitchell
Willan, James
Wilson, Ryan

Backs
Betham, Peter
Carter, Thomas
Clunies-Ross, Henry
Dargaville, James
Dunbar, Stuart
Fakai, Johnathan
Folau, Israel
Foley, Bernard
Gordon, Jake
Hodge, Michael
Kelly, Daniel
Kenny, Matthew
Loseli, Jonny
Makamaka, Finau
McMahon, James
Merriman, Jock
Phipps, Nick
Pulver, Angus
Roberts, Angus
Stewart, Jim

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
The Sydney Stars unveil their Coaches for the 2014 Buildcorp National Rugby Championships

ImageProxy.mvc
The Sydney Stars are pleased to officially announce the appointment of Chris Malone as Head Coach for inaugural Buildcorp National Rugby Championship, with assistance from Peter Playford (backs) and Cam Blades (forwards).

Between them, Malone, Playford and Blades have an impressive list of playing and coaching achievements, and have been working hard behind the scenes to prepare for the big task they have ahead of them in developing this brand new team.
“Here at the Stars we are under no illusion that bringing together a new squad of players for the Buildcorp NRC will bring with it some challenges, but I have full confidence in my coaching team and our ability to get our team in the best possible form come Round 1” says Malone.
Having coached alongside both Playford and Blades on other occasions, Malone is looking forward to working with them again at the Sydney Stars, and knows they are the best men for the job.
“It’s great to have Peter and Cam on board with me at the Stars. They are excellent coaches with huge respect from the players, and we all complement each other really well. I have no doubt they will provide an invaluable amount of guidance to our boys and will be critical components in putting together a successful team”.
Chris Malone
ImageProxy.mvc
Chris Malone has an impressive history in rugby both as a player and coach and currently holds the Head Coach position at Sydney University Football Club.

Chris played 1st Grade for Sydney University Football Club from 1999-2001, and captained the club to their 1st Premiership in 29 years when they won the title in 2001. At the completion of the 2001 season however, Chris set sail for England in pursuit of playing professional rugby. He was based at the Exeter Chiefs for 7 months, before a 5 year stint with Bath and 4 years based in Hampton in London’s south-west where Chris had two seasons for Harlequins and two for London Irish.
Chris joined the Sydney University Football Club coaching team as High Performance Coach in June 2011 on returning to Australia after a successful professional rugby career in the UK. After guiding the 2nd Grade team to a 2012 Premiership, Chris was appointed Head Coach for the 2013 season, where he again lead his side to a 1st Grade Premiership.
Peter Playford
ImageProxy.mvc
Peter Playford has been on the rugby scene for a number of years starting at the rugby playground of so many stars, St Joseph’s College, where he was selected for the Australian Schools before making his state debut for the Waratahs in 2000 against Argentina.

After trying on league for size at the Roosters in 2002 he quickly realised the game they play in heaven was his true calling when he signed for Sydney University Football Club. A highly talented winger, Peter has played for Super teams the Waratahs and the Brumbies, with a stint in ITM Cup in New Zealand with the Tasman Makos, where he held the record for the most number of tries in one season.
Not quite content to hang up his boots, Peter has made a smooth transition from player to Assistant coach of the highly successful Sydney University Football Club 1st Grade team.
On taking up the position of Assistant Coach of the Sydney Stars Peter is once again excited to be part of a start up team as he was with the Tasman Makos.
“The opportunity to work in a totally new competition doesn’t come around very often. A new team is a blank canvas where we can bring new ideas to the boys” said Playford. “Whilst the new law variations are yet to be finalised I am sure it will give the backs a chance to play with flare and wow the crowd with great tries.”
Cam Blades
ImageProxy.mvc
Cam Blades is no stranger to the elite level of rugby having played in the front row for the Waratahs from 1996 to 2001, and debuting for the Wallabies in 1997.

As with Peter, his days on the rugby paddock were not to come to an end when he retired from playing, joining the coaching team at Southern Districts as Assistant Coach, a position he held for two years before moving to the role of Head Coach. Under his guidance as Head Coach, Southern Districts 1st Grade team made the Grand Finals in 2012 for the first time ever narrowly losing by a single point to new his Stars coaching companions as coaches of Sydney University Football Club.
In 2013 he coached the Combined Country team against the British and Irish Lions and was the forwards coach for the U20 Australian World Cup side.

Scrum and technical advisor to Fiji on their end of season tour forwards is what Cam knows best.

“The exciting challenge for me will be coaching players from such varied rugby backgrounds and having them all gel together in such a short space of time. This new competition is such a great pathway for our young guys to play alongside their Super and Wallaby heroes” said Blades. “There was no way I could pass up the opportunity to coach a team as part of an inaugural competition.”

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I must be missing something. Aren't the squads limited to 33 plus 4 allocated Wallabies? How do the Stars come up with a squad of 43 or 44?

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
I think it is an interim squad. One reason might be that they wanted to show that they had considered a few Balmain players who I suspect won't make the final 33.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I think it is an interim squad. One reason might be that they wanted to show that they had considered a few Balmain players who I suspect won't make the final 33.

Nevertheless, all other teams seem to have limited their squads to 33 or less + Wallabies. I don't know if that was mandated by the ARU to be done by 1st August, but the Stars seem to be the only ones out of step. Will be very interesting to see their final squad.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I see Matt Phillips from Manly has been listed with the Stars. Now why would he have gone and talked to them after he was listed in the Rays squad?

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
Possible starting side;

1. L. Weeks
2. T. Latu
3. P. Ryan
4. T. Kavenga
5. J. Chapman
6. S. Quinn
7. D. Hickey
8. P. McCutcheon
9. J. Merriman
10. A. Roberts
11. J. Dargaville
12. T. Carter
13. J. Stewart
14. H. Clunies-Ross
15. M. Hodge

16. J. Willan
17. A. King
18. J. Tilse
19. B. Hodge
20. H. Dessens
21. J. Gordon
22. D. Kelly
23. J. McMahon

At first glance this squad doesn't have many big bodies besides the front row. Hopefully Skelton and Betham can get some game time

Status
Not open for further replies.