• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

SackRobbie

Chris McKivat (8)
Hi just curious as to why you tipped Iggies to be relegated in 2013?

I had to tip someone mate but the idea was to generate some chat. If its not Old Iggies who do you think will be relegated?

Also dont put all your cash on Drummoyne as they have very few coaches and the money will not last forever

Yeh fair enough I have heard that they didnt pay a few of their guys last year after promising payments as a result a few have left or planning to leave.

SackRobbie

Chris McKivat (8)
I am also curious as to why Barker Old Boys are considered cannon fodder in Division 2 after being relegated from Division 1. This is a team who on their day beat Drummoyne.They will have some good depth in 2013 - Division 1 really is a big step up from Div 2 so Balmain should do ok with their big player base but will find it harder than expected. I hear Newport have recuited from Fiji.

I heard similar about Newport. Good luck with the hassle of finding them work etc. It's been tried by the Shute Shield teams and they no longer go down that path for a reason - because its f*cken hard work.

MrMouse

Bob Loudon (25)
Hey guys, any suggestions on clubs in the Inner West (basically Strathfield - Balmain) who might need extra fat blokes and are a good environment?

Camo

Frank Nicholson (4)
Hey guys, any suggestions on clubs in the Inner West (basically Strathfield - Balmain) who might need extra fat blokes and are a good environment?

G'day Mouse, we (Balmain) recommence training on Tuesday - 7:30 Leichhardt oval #2, Glover street if you want to check it out?

Just ask for me (Camo) - and we have plenty of fat blokes, Myself included..!

S

Sniper

got some tips today.
Beecroft to be relegated from Div 1.
Brothers to be promoted from Div 2.
St pats and Balmain to be in the Grand Final due to buying every player in the competition.
Waverley to be promoted from Div 3.
Redfield to go undefeated again.
More interesting tips to follow.

J

Jonathan Walsh

got some tips today.
Beecroft to be relegated from Div 1.
Brothers to be promoted from Div 2.
St pats and Balmain to be in the Grand Final due to buying every player in the competition.
Waverley to be promoted from Div 3.
Redfield to go undefeated again.
More interesting tips to follow.

Out of interest who have Pats and Balmain bought?

Camo

Frank Nicholson (4)

G'Day Sniper,

I'd also be interested to know who Balmain have 'bought' for this season?
Might be able to set a few things straight...

S

Sniper

If you guys can'y take a joke, then don't worry.
Player recruitment agencies are buzzing around town looking for assiatant coaches with relocation costs. I think you have to email Balmain's president. So I guess that is not buying any players. So sorry. Balmain hasn't bought any players. And Pats haven't formally said that they have new recruits, but i know last year some of their players were getting something, because a few of their players were asking clubs if they could match it. Maybe it is players just trying to get something from another club.
Camo are you on the committee at Balmain? I heard your fullback was signed from New Zealand Heartland championship rep side last year. It was all over the South Canterbury rugby union website. Is that correct? I think his name was Jared.
Jonathon Walsh, you said somehing about Drummoyne not having many coaches this year. Have some of them left? They did well last year, won Club champs and 1st grade. And if so, do you know where they went.
I was told by Iggies 1st grade coach last year that they are struggling for numbers this year. You seem to know alot about Iggies. Is that true?
I will try not to joke anymore about subbies.

Camo

Frank Nicholson (4)
Sniper, Can definitely take a joke mate, as the majority in Subbiesland can, just thought I could shed some light and dispel some rumors.

We were advertising for assistant 1st grade coaches in November.
We said that we would consider relocation costs if a great candidate came up who was not based in Sydney.
We didn’t pay our 1st grade coaches last year and as it happens we won’t this year but if we got a coach that needed some assistance while finding other work etc then we would help them.
I think that’s a result of a well-supported and well-managed football club.

Jared was playing Heartand rugby last year in NZ.
We had a BRC tour to the Rugby World Cup and half a dozen guys went to a local game when Jared was playing. We asked him after if he’d like a year in Australia working and drinking at Balmain’s finest establishments and luckily for us he said yes.
We didn’t pay him to play for us and he didn’t ask for anything. He had a great time and we loved having him.

Anyway keep the feedback going lads, it's great to see so much interest this early in the year for this 2013 season, we're pretty pumped for it - I'm sure all other clubs are as well!

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Anyone that is still uncomitted or looking for a club, have a crack at KOBs (Kings Old Boys). Now Camo and Balmain have left us for greener pastures, the coast is clear for us to step up and dominate Div 2 in 2013!

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Anyone that is still uncomitted or looking for a club, have a crack at KOBs (Kings Old Boys). Now Camo and Balmain have left us for greener pastures, the coast is clear for us to step up and dominate Div 2 in 2013!
[/media]
thats not a bad standard of rugby there Barbarian - I'd forgotten

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
thats not a bad standard of rugby there Barbarian - I'd forgotten

And that video is only about 50% 1st grade too. Fair bit of 2s, 3s and colts there as well.

It certainly seems to me the standard of subbies has risen over the past five years. Training is starting earlier, coaching setups are more professional. We are swimming against the tide on both those things (we like to keep it casual) and its probably hurting us.

Crashy

Nev Cottrell (35)
Barbarian - I do wonder whether Division 3 will now be seen as an acceptable Div for the social clubs who have a lot of players to field 4 grades and colts. Previously it was a bit a questionable comp ( as was Div 2 once) but now I potentially see it as quite a good one in years to come.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Yeah I'd agree Crashy. The only reason why we really don't want to go down (other than pride) is the travel involved in Div 3- Hawkesbury, Blue Mountains etc.

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)
Yeah I'd agree Crashy. The only reason why we really don't want to go down (other than pride) is the travel involved in Div 3- Hawkesbury, Blue Mountains etc.
Yet one of the reason why we love Division 3. I suppose you are going to have to travel at some point - hey Barbs, training at Glebe, playing at Parramatta. Last time I checked its only 45 minutes from Kings School to Blue Mountains - less than going to Newport.
Its a good excuse for a bus trip.

Rugby Central

Charlie Fox (21)
Looks like Subbies will be moving to compulsory 12:45 kick off for Colts. What's the gut feeling from clubs and how did Div 1 cope with the change last season?

Simmo Green

Frank Row (1)
Sniper, Can definitely take a joke mate, as the majority in Subbiesland can, just thought I could shed some light and dispel some rumors.

We were advertising for assistant 1st grade coaches in November.
We said that we would consider relocation costs if a great candidate came up who was not based in Sydney.
We didn’t pay our 1st grade coaches last year and as it happens we won’t this year but if we got a coach that needed some assistance while finding other work etc then we would help them.
I think that’s a result of a well-supported and well-managed football club.

Jared was playing Heartand rugby last year in NZ.
We had a BRC tour to the Rugby World Cup and half a dozen guys went to a local game when Jared was playing. We asked him after if he’d like a year in Australia working and drinking at Balmain’s finest establishments and luckily for us he said yes.
We didn’t pay him to play for us and he didn’t ask for anything. He had a great time and we loved having him.

Anyway keep the feedback going lads, it's great to see so much interest this early in the year for this 2013 season, we're pretty pumped for it - I'm sure all other clubs are as well!

Firstly, Balmain need to be commended for their growth and progress over the last eight years. They do have enlightened owners/managers, who are exceptional at promoting the Club and creating some great interest in Subbies Rugby eg The Chabal cameo

However, it's well known throughout Subbies and indeed at a Premier Club level, that Balmain pay certain players and indeed certain coaches. I've spoken with two players in the last week, who've been promised payment (to be determined) if their trial performances live up to their CV's. There's nothing anecdotal here, it's a pattern that we've encountered several times at the Premier Club I'm involved with.

I have no problem at all with this approach, each Club must determine it's policies and then live or die by the sort of culture that creates. I say good luck to Balmain if the owners have the means of enticing players in that fashion

But boys don't insult peoples intelligence by suggesting that they're lured to the peninsular by the atmosphere of Dicks or the London, or by some magical social atmosphere, that's just fanciful nonsense

Status
Not open for further replies.