• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Funky

Frank Nicholson (4)
Quick thing on the rules. As long as Drew was registered before 30 July (I think) that's covered. Drew has always been registered with Balmain and is "loaned" to Randwick. Thus he can play for Balmain. The next rule is 4 of your last 7 games for the Club. I wouldn't know the team sheets but if Drew played lower grades for those 4 games then he's eligible.

The system isn't perfect but there's only so much control Subbies can exert without becoming impossibly perscriptive. Rememeber most Subbies Clubs run on an oily rag and the coronary bypass surgury of stressed out volunteers. Start making the rules to stop a handful of clubs and it will kill the rest of them.

As for the money at other Clubs, be careful what you believe. I'm not part of any of the Clubs mentioned but good networks are the sign of a well run club. Cash payments will always fail in the longer term. You only need to see the rise and fall of the Clubs that have tried it.and the financial state of SS Clubs

Just to confirm re the Eligibility rules. Yes there is a cut off date to be registered. Typically 4 games or so before the finals start.

Then it is an assessment against the majority of your last seven games.

You don't need to have played seven games (or even any games) to be eligible. eg as long as Mitchell is eligibly registered before the cut off, he can play in any grade come finals even if he doesn't play a single game for the club.

If he plays one game in 3rds (say), he could play in 3rds or above come finals.

Being a former secretary of a club, unfortunately I know these rules backward.

Then there are a whole lot of other rules thrown in above that too, but let's not go there.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Pretty sure there is a rule you must have played at least two games to be eligible for the finals.

Yeah-

36.6 A player shall only be eligible to play in a semi- final, final or grand final if he has played in at least two minor premiership rounds for his club. In addition, a player shall not be eligible to play in a semi-final, final or grand final in any grade lower than the grade in which he has played the majority of his last seven minor premiership matches

Funky

Frank Nicholson (4)
There you go!

I obviously didn't come across a case of no one not having played any games! It definitely makes sense to have played.

Crashy

Nev Cottrell (35)
my 4th grade subbies team came up against some very strong semi final opponents. Despite having only lost 1 game all season, we were belted in the semis by a suddenly very strong openent who we had comfortably beaten twice that season. What is it with uni rugby clubs....

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
my 4th grade subbies team came up against some very strong semi final opponents. Despite having only lost 1 game all season, we were belted in the semis by a suddenly very strong openent who we had comfortably beaten twice that season. What is it with uni rugby clubs..

UNSW in 2nd div yeah? I play for the Kings team that edged you guys the next week, then got belted by them in the GF (Well I am currently injured, so was consigned to running water).

Was pretty clear that they weren't a genuine 4th grade side- a few blokes who were way above 4ths standard, and who we hadn't seen all year (we lost to them both times, but on both occasions the score was 5-3).

But fair play to them, they were eligible to pull on the jersey and the rules are the rules.

GunnerDownUnder

Jim Clark (26)
Congrats to Balmain, I know a lot of people dislike them but as a neutral you should take a lot of pride in Saturdays performance.
One of worst (most biased) refereeing displays I have seen in a long time, but still a shared win in your first season there. Well done.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
Why are poor refereeing performances seen as biased ones? I didn't see this match and have no information on whether it was a good or bad performance but I struggle to understand how this referee who didn't grow up in Sydney and doesn't currently live in Sydney has any bias towards St Pats Old Boys. You may be able to support your position that his performance was poor and that his decisions may have favoured St Pats but I don't see how you will be able to support this bias allegation.

GunnerDownUnder

Jim Clark (26)
When a referee continually favours one team and makes bewildering decisions that cost one side the win then that referee is indeed biased. I'm not saying he went into the game planning to do it or that he was paid to be biased but he ended up favouring one side and showed bias towards them.
Bias is not corrupt nor illegal, it is showing favour against side compared with another, in a way considered to be unfair.
The referee favoured St Pats (for whatever reason) and I cant imagine any neutral at the game not seeing it that way - the last 20 minutes of the game saw some of the worst and biased decisions I have seen in thirty years of playing/coaching/watching rugby.

Rugby Central

Charlie Fox (21)
Maybe becasue I had no investment in the outcome I didn't see the refereeing through my own usual biases. But forgetting the refereeing decisions what I saw on Saturday was some sensationally confrotational rugby. The ball moved better than any recent Wallabies match and the defence was punishing.

It was either a celebration of community rugby or an indictment on the professional game. But it was exciting to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.