• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

BRUMBIEJACK

Larry Dwyer (12)
Brothers won 1st grade in a scrappy but well-mannered affair 18-13 with an unconverted try 5 minutes from the end. They were without 5 regulars for the first few weeks so the win will come as a welcome relief. Brothers also won Colts, Petersham the other grades. I must say that Camperdown Oval is looking the best I have ever seen it since it was re-surfaced. Lovely afternoon to be there.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Irish had a win in firsts over Quins. Game was marred by a serious injury to an Irish winger.

Quins won the other two games both by 5 points

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
And so it begins...

Petersham vs Brothers in Div 1 will be watched with interest as a gauge to how competitve they will be this year. After halting a mass exodus of players Brothers will be looking to establish credibility. My tip Brothers

Likewise DIV 2 Hills vs UNSW will be a similar contest. Following UNSW 2nd round implosion last year theyll be looking to re-right the ship and stamp some authority over newcomers Hills. My tip Hills

Div 3 sees newly relegated Saints take on old foes Waverly at Hassall park with both clubs having a clear focus on getting back to 2nd Div. My tip - Saints

I tipped the Brothers result and Hills beat UNSW. Great 1st up result for both clubs. Anyone know if Saints beat Waverley so I can claim my all up?

Ozzie Bob

Charlie Fox (21)
I tipped the Brothers result and Hills beat UNSW. Great 1st up result for both clubs. Anyone know if Saints beat Waverley so I can claim my all up?

Heavy you only got this one wrong. Waves got up 13-8!

You must be in the know as Bobs beat the defending premiers! Tommy must be happy as Redfield spanked Kings in the top 2 grades!

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
We're going to struggle at Kings this year. Decent enough numbers, but a severe lack of top-end talent. A weird issue, not sure how to fix it.

BRUMBIEJACK

Larry Dwyer (12)
Only 1 Sutherland Cup game played today with the rest 28-0 forfeits. Interesting

In this day and age trying to get a subbies club to field five grades plus colts is optimistic in the extreme. Sensible to let clubs there without the need to field five grades; if they didn't very few clubs would be able to meet the requirements. Part of a wider malaise in Sydney rugby - particularly a feeling that the game increasingly exists for the elite level and ARU/NSWRU don't care for much outside of that. Very very short term thinking imho.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Participation rates definitely declining, but have a feeling that might be a society-wide trend not unique to rugby.

Mangoman

Allen Oxlade (6)
Looking like Merrylands have nominated not to field a 3rd grade, seems as if Macarthur Crusaders will be playing as their 3rds for the rest of the year.

Also interesting to note Rockdale aren't fielding a side this season for the first time in a long time...

Tommy Tudehope

Ted Fahey (11)
We're going to struggle at Kings this year. Decent enough numbers, but a severe lack of top-end talent. A weird issue, not sure how to fix it.

Good to face off against another GAGR keyboard warrior over the weekend. Hugh and KOBs took home the goods in an enthralling fourth grade contest.

Footyhead#2

Chris McKivat (8)
Only 1 Sutherland Cup game played today with the rest 28-0 forfeits. Interesting

There is still very little incentive to provide a 5th Grade team. 4 CC points for a win is hardly enticing. I think they should introduce a 100 point bonus for fielding a 5th Grade side at the end of each season. That way even if you lose every 5th Grade match you are provided some sort of reward for fielding the full quota.

Ozzie Bob

Charlie Fox (21)
I notice in the team lists that Craig Thomas didnt play for Forest on the weekend. Did he end up staying at Brothers?

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Good to face off against another GAGR keyboard warrior over the weekend. Hugh and KOBs took home the goods in an enthralling fourth grade contest.

It was a good game, scoreline was misleading. If you guys had scored that try in the first half I reckon it would have given you the kick-along and you may well have won. As it was we somehow held you out, took a fortunate intercept a bit later and that was the game.

Our 4s will want to go all the way this year, have been to the GF two years in a row, but coming second both times. We've been playing together for nearly 5 years now, so surely this is the year!

Tommy Tudehope

Ted Fahey (11)
It was a good game, scoreline was misleading. If you guys had scored that try in the first half I reckon it would have given you the kick-along and you may well have won. As it was we somehow held you out, took a fortunate intercept a bit later and that was the game.

Our 4s will want to go all the way this year, have been to the GF two years in a row, but coming second both times. We've been playing together for nearly 5 years now, so surely this is the year!

If you keep that team together you will be hard to beat.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Merrylands v Rouse Hill 1st Grade was called off after a serious leg injury to a Renegades player at the 30 minute mark. Home side were up 5-0.

Ref wanted to call a draw, but both sides agreed to refer it to Tim Richards.

From memory, any game that doesn't make it to halftime is considered a no result?

Anyway, Merrylands smashed them in 2nds.

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
I notice in the team lists that Craig Thomas didnt play for Forest on the weekend. Did he end up staying at Brothers?

He was named to play in the Manly Daily on Saturday. Maybe injured or Blue Mountains proved 100km to far.

Guddy

Frank Row (1)
big round this week after the usual mickey mouse results in round 1.

the best game this week will be in kentwell cup colleagues vs st pats. the funny thing is this is a bottom of the table clash. i pick st pats to win this by 1-2 tries. problems at colleagues? no not at all, 2 losses to start the year but they will come good. also -
- drummoyne, my personal favourites for the comp will win easy.
-mosman and brothers will also win to be the other 2 teams underfeated at the break

in barraclough cup, i expect newport to bring hills right back down to earth with their new arrival to division 2. newport to win this by 15-20 points and star their campaign.also -
-hunters hill will get an easy win over mountains (they dont travel) and hunters hill are hot, expect this by 30 points
-and forrest will also win the derby vs lindfield, who all be it have recruited strongly, wont be a match for the forresters.
- the hardest game of the round is UNSW vs BOBS. i pick bobs by 3 points. they are a very fast team and will run unsw round. if its wet weather, i change my tip as UNSW hard to beat in wet weather due to the strength of their pack.

in clark cup, oatley will be near unbeatable at home, and should beat st ives. st ives are a workmanlike team, but i think oatley will just powerhouse over them. also-
- uwsh to topple waverley away from home in 1sts (though expect them to lose grades 2-4)
- kings to get over the line vs epping in a close one
- redfield to beat valley, but will get a reality check that this comp isnt as easy as they think. expect valley to scare them with their size for the majority of the game

Status
Not open for further replies.