• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Well, yeah, for their sake.

But for the sake of the competition as a whole, Subbies need to pull their head out of their arse and come up with alternatives.

SackRobbie

Chris McKivat (8)
Fall out at Brothers is well & truly on the way with a tonne of players accepting enormous money from Forrest to play there.

Brothers are so decimated that they have asked to be dropped down the Divisions & HQ are considering but not happy. Potential 8 team comp for Kentwell but more than likely Brothers will be made to stay up only for there to be another Beecroft debacle.

St. Pats still flashing the cheque book as are Hunters Hill.

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)
BOOM! You havent pulled any punches there SackRobbie.

I've heard Roseville might pick up some players from the Brothers fall out.
Can also confirm multiple clubs are openly offering player inducements.

Feel for Brother club as it must be hearting breaking for them but hired help never have loyalty. Over to you Subbies for a commonsense decision that will not sacrifice the club at the alter.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Fire up Pfitzy! You talking about number of grades per Div or something else?

Grades per division is a good starting point - 5 is fucking ridiculous, and more than 3 just get clubs into trouble.

Feel for Brother club as it must be hearting breaking for them but hired help never have loyalty. Over to you Subbies for a commonsense decision that will not sacrifice the club at the alter.

Its a bit more complex than loyalty.

If you start at a club as a colt, then move up through the grades and play a couple of years at the top, you're more inclined to slip back to 2nd grade once you're past your peak.

If you come into a club on enticements (financial or otherwise), I think you're less likely to stick around and play 2s or 3s when you're past your prime, because you never benefited from the development side of that club.

Crashy

Nev Cottrell (35)
Any idea how Newport are looking this year? Staying a bit quiet in the preseason. Have the Rats pinched any players?

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)
Any idea how Newport are looking this year? Staying a bit quiet in the preseason. Have the Rats pinched any players?

My understanding is all but one of their premiership winning squad are back this year. Will be interesting to see how they go if some of the above comments around others maxing out their credit cards is true. The Newport vs Forest/Brothers game will be must see.

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)
Well, yeah, for their sake.

But for the sake of the competition as a whole, Subbies need to pull their head out of their arse and come up with alternatives.

Heres a thought. Shute Shield becomes only 1st & 2nd grade with two grades of colts. Remaining players get pushed down into subbies with clubs becoming feeder clubs for Grade. Players can be called up to grade if required due to injury etc. Club rugby at 3s and 4s level is a bit hit and miss as it currently stands. Just throwing it out there.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I would probably keep 3rds as its a natural starting place for Colts who need another year or so.

The general framework I have in mind (which I think I've put up before) is 10 clubs in each Division, split by conference if required for Division 6 which seems to need it:

PREMIER - 3 Grades + 2 Colts
FIRST DIV - 3 Grades + 2 Colts
SECOND DIV - 3 Grades + 1 Colts
THIRD DIV - 3 Grades + 1 Colts
FOURTH DIV - 3 Grades
FIFTH DIV - 2 Grades
SIXTH DIV - 1 Grade

i) Colts as listed are a requirement. No exceptions. Clubs need to find a way in order to make sure development pathways are available to school leavers in particular. If they can't, then they still have a competitive 3-grade competition in 4th Div.

ii) Masters is a separate competition. They can be part of a club, but can't contribute to club championships, and will be largely organised along the lines of Halligan Cup.

iii) Any leftover Colts are organised as size of competition permits, but NO single division/conference should exceed 10 Clubs. e.g. if there are 16 Colts teams left over, they will play in two conferences of 8, with an appropriate number of top-ranked teams from each conference playing in the finals e.g. top 2-4 depending on numbers.

iv) The big assumption I'm making is that lower division clubs are going to be fed by juniors as well, and that players reaching Colts age will assist 3rd Grade unless they play the pickup Colts comp. Clubs need to develop juniors in order to sustain rugby right through the life cycle.

v) Promotion and Relegation on Club Championship for ALL Divisions. With an equitable number of grades to field, it doesn't then become a stretch for a side to go up in playing quality AND numbers - my biggest beef with the current system.

Seagull Butler

Chris McKivat (8)
Richard Deans to follow Barstow, Grimaldi and Mahr (and so many others) in snagging a Pullitzer. Sorry they're investigative reporters. I meant to say Johnson and Harding in the fiction category.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
And does anyone think he's going to help out with 2nd Grade when he wants to wind down?

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)
And does anyone think he's going to help out with 2nd Grade when he wants to wind down?

Apparently Vinne Byrne told Forest he only wants to play lower grades. Im not sure the investment in him is to win a 3rd grade premiership!

Ozzie Bob

Charlie Fox (21)
All i have to say is............. How is any of this possible? Surely Mr Gorrie would be on the phone to them straight away?????????

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Fair enough if he's going straight into a lower grade AND isn't getting any benefits for it.

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)
The brutal reality is enforcing amateur status in subbies is IMPOSSIBLE. Whilst I support subbies stance on this the fact is the NRL with 6 investigators have trouble managing the salary cap. What chance do a couple of well intentioned (and qualified) individuals have against subbies clubs. Clubs know this and thus those that have traditionally paid players will contiune to do so...pure and simple. The only thing I can suggest for subbies is to not mince around with what penalities a club may or may not face. Dont threaten them with loss of points or relegation, threaten them with extinction. You get busted and your club is history...period. It doesnt matter how many years the club has existed, what Div its in or its premiership history. That will certainly get those bank rolling these player movements and payments attention.

Seagull Butler

Chris McKivat (8)
Dont threaten them with loss of points or relegation, threaten them with extinction. You get busted and your club is history.period. .

While I agree Subbies needed to stand on this, this suggestion is good way for Subbies to no longer exist, do this to a few clubs and all of a sudden we have another rugby comp in Sydney, where players can get paid because the clubs who do set it up, either that or you have a lot of players who suddenly go to league or AFL because their club is now defunct, personally there is no way that if Hunters were forcibly disbanded that I would play for one of the other local clubs. And disbanding clubs by subbies might see more teams follow Hornsby and Campbelltown.

I am interested to know if you would then extend to teams who stack lower grades? An unbeaten fourth grade with no wins in the upper grades is just as unfair to other clubs as having paid players in first grade. Actually, I would indicate it as being more unfair because a lot of the lower grade players are guys that are there for fun, in the retirement zone or just starting out in grade.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Stacking shits me to tears. And the failure to kick clubs out because of red cards. We lost a premiership because of it, and Subbies' utter failure to do anything about our official complaints.

Apparently Subbies have about 5 people investigating clubs for payment. They won't find shit, and won't enforce it if they do.

The fact is, the competition is run by the top clubs' influence on proceedings. Tim Richards also needs to hand the reins over to see what someone else can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.