• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)
Looking through the team sheets and its hard to see how Drummoyne are getting away with some of their 3rd grade backs. Sinisa, Afeaki and Havabond are just a tad above 3s I would have thought...
Pot and the kettle...... #fishing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Hahaha I've just watched the game tape of the GF, and I am waaaay further behind those names than I ever thought.

It was ugly viewing indeed.

Rugby Central

Charlie Fox (21)
It has been a while. St Leo's became part of Beecroft who had a meteoric rise to Kentwell then had a horrible crash to Div 4 last year.

This drop in divisions set them up for a ridiculously successful season which has, arguably, created broader ramifications for all of Suburban Rugby. Read through the 2015 Subbies Thread and you'll get the idea.

Welcome Back:)

Rugby Central

Charlie Fox (21)
Speaking of ramifications....

Looking at the Subbies website Lindfield has gone up to Div 1 with nobody coming down. Could be a very painful year for some clubs.

Looking at 1st grade results I'm not sure Lindfield are up to it and Iggies will have had to have done some impressive recruiting and development in the off-season to compete in 2016. Any of Brothers aging stars retiring will make the difference to their season.

Have's and Have nots will become very obvious in Div 1. Number of grades will be very important.

Waverly up to Div 2 and Redfield have remained in Div 3 despite winning club championship. Waverly have the depth to compete most certainly so can't see problem. Particularly as Beecroft will hinder any ROBs dominance. No one down.

Beecroft up to Div 3 (what a shock:eek: ) with no body headed down

Merrylands gone form Div 4 (actually not on Subbies website at all) with Beecroft up, becoming an 8 team comp.

I know things can change between now and April, but interesting would people agree?

Any other early off-season news with AGM's coming and gone across the Suburban landscape. Any big moves for coaches or administrators?

Peej

Allen Oxlade (6)
Speaking of ramifications..

Looking at the Subbies website Lindfield has gone up to Div 1 with nobody coming down. Could be a very painful year for some clubs.

Looking at 1st grade results I'm not sure Lindfield are up to it and Iggies will have had to have done some impressive recruiting and development in the off-season to compete in 2016. Any of Brothers aging stars retiring will make the difference to their season.

Have's and Have nots will become very obvious in Div 1. Number of grades will be very important.

Waverly up to Div 2 and Redfield have remained in Div 3 despite winning club championship. Waverly have the depth to compete most certainly so can't see problem. Particularly as Beecroft will hinder any ROBs dominance. No one down.

Merrylands gone form Div 4 (actually not on Subbies website at all) with Beecroft up, becoming an 8 team comp.

I know things can change between now and April, but interesting would people agree?

Any other early off-season news with AGM's coming and gone across the Suburban landscape. Any big moves for coaches or administrators?

Can't believe my eyes when i read this! If Iggies are in Div 1 next year it will be nothing but a mess with at least 3 forfeits a weekend and no doubt 100+ put on 1st grade at some point. It wont be recruitment that is the issue it will be keeping anyone currently there.

Iv been told more than half the 1st grade team from last season have no interest in coming back to play in Div 1. May sound like throwing it in but these blokes have been getting flogged for 3/4 years and rugby is becoming a burden and not enjoyed as I believe subbies should be.

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)
Just heard that Subbies have confirmed with the division 3 clubs that a restructure will take place in 2017 with a Division 3 definitely being 3 grades and colts. Which effectively will faarrrk those club that have been an important part of division 3 for many years.

Ozzie Bob

Charlie Fox (21)
Speaking of ramifications..

Surely this is all Chinese whispers atm.

How can any club in October know how many players they are going to have next year? If anyone below first division starts training before Christmas then they have rocks in their heads!

I would have thought that Iggies would be in line for the Beecroft treatment.

I also worry for the make up of next years competition!

I wonder how the Wallabies success at the RWC will have a positive impact on playing numbers across competitions next season

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Just heard that Subbies have confirmed with the division 3 clubs that a restructure will take place in 2017 with a Division 3 definitely being 3 grades and colts. Which effectively will faarrrk those club that have been an important part of division 3 for many years.

If they're going to do that then Division 1 and 2 also need to drop grades. 4 is the maximum number of competitive grades that a club can field, because that is more than half your Saturday fucked. If you have to travel, then its all your Saturday fucked.

I agree that if you're at a level with 3 Grades, you should be running a Colts team.

fkj

Chris McKivat (8)

For div 1 & 2 I get it, but I don't see how punishing div 3 clubs with plenty of overall numbers but maybe not enough for colts is beneficial. Just seems like a recipe for less and less numbers in subbies rugby in the long term.

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)
For div 1 & 2 I get it, but I don't see how punishing div 3 clubs with plenty of overall numbers but maybe not enough for colts is beneficial. Just seems like a recipe for less and less numbers in subbies rugby in the long term.
Absolutely agree.
At Epping, we have strived and strived to have a continuation of Colts but it just hasn't happened.
We compete with Eastwood for pal ayers at that age level unsuccessfully. The junior clubs in our 'catchment' area only go to about under 14s and we have just had our juniors merge with hill view to form central Eastwood.

It's not a matter of us not being willing to run colts, it is just that the kids are just genuinely not there.

And to suggest that it is tough luck you should just do it, I love anyone to tell us how and where these kids are coming from.

Hell West & Crooked

Alex Ross (28)
All this talk of Crisis up and down the subbies ranks - are any of the First Division relatively stable and well set-up?

Who are the most successful first division Clubs over time?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Mosman, Colleagues, Drummoyne, St Pats - doing alright.

Balmain, Brothers - $$$$ got them there. Somewhat competitive, but Brothers faded badly and Balmain forfeited a Colts game I see.

The rest fluctuate a bit except for Old Iggies who got various shellackings.

Hell West & Crooked

Alex Ross (28)
Apologies for historical questions but BEECROFT - How does a club drop 3-4 divisions in a Season?... 2. I understand Balmain are privately owned (?) but are they not competing for players directly in the same backyard as Drummoyne and Sydney Uni? - and 3. What is holding back UNSW - they should be playing Shute Shield given resources, not Subbies by now....

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Apologies for historical questions but BEECROFT - How does a club drop 3-4 divisions in a Season?.

Apparently they were dropping bottom 2-3 grades regularly at the end of 2014, so Subbies let them down 3 Divisions in one hit.

Then in 2015 they had enough numbers to field 3 minor + major premiership teams in 2015, losing just 4 games in the regular season (1st Grade, 2nd Grade, 3rd Grade twice) and taking all the gongs in 4th Division.

That was in addition to fielding a Halligans side 10 weeks out of 14.

Quite the turnaround.

Whale berry

Larry Dwyer (12)

Christian Brothers Old Boys, links with Christian Brothers school St Pius X at Chatswood.
Changed their name to Bothers about 5-6 years ? ago.
Had good lower grades about 8 years ago but lacked a good enough 1st grade.
A benefactor has thrown money at them and they have acquired a good 1st grade side, however what happens in most of these scenarios is the lower grades fall away.
They are trying hard to get a colts program together but from the outside it looks a bit disorganised.

Status
Not open for further replies.