• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hell West & Crooked

Alex Ross (28)
i guess the question is that when you look at the stable teams in Division 1 - what is it about their structure that makes them able to sustain... I see one of them is now running a junior programme as well...

Whale berry

Larry Dwyer (12)
The key to success at any level is that it is "well run".
If you talk to players and supporters of successful clubs and ask what attracts you and keeps you at the club most will say it is because it is organised and well run.
Sure that covers a lot if areas but it all stems from having a strong committee.
That usually requires a lot of time and input, this means that the generally the best people to run football clubs are self employed, retired or independently wealthy, or have a very understanding employer.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Agree - you need to have a committee that will say to the player and wider group: we need volunteers. No-one is above helping the club, and the more people that help, the less work there is for each of you.

Otherwise you get volunteer burnout, which is the biggest problem in keeping the club going.

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)
Agree - you need to have a committee that will say to the player and wider group: we need volunteers. No-one is above helping the club, and the more people that help, the less work there is for each of you.

Otherwise you get volunteer burnout, which is the biggest problem in keeping the club going.

It goes without saying the location of the club makes life easier for committees. If you are in a natural rugby catchment area it is far easier to focus on all things rugby. If not most of the committee and coaching foxus is recruitment, player retention and keeping a short sited subbies at bay looking to relogate any club that shows weakness.

Whale berry

Larry Dwyer (12)
It goes without saying the location of the club makes life easier for committees. If you are in a natural rugby catchment area it is far easier to focus on all things rugby. If not most of the committee and coaching foxus is recruitment, player retention and keeping a short sited subbies at bay looking to relogate any club that shows weakness.

Sure location can change the emphasis for a committee but i believe all committees focus on recruitment and retention, the location just changes the emphasis.
Clubs in rugby areas are usually competing with Shute Shield clubs and any number of other Subbies clubs with in a close proximity.
Clubs in non rugby areas face challenges in recruitment and retention, but a different set of challenges - different codes etc etc.

One of the biggest mistakes I have seen committees make is not planning for the next generation.
How many times have you seen a club with a strong team, usually with a number of older players, win a few premierships and then retire.
Many clubs fall in a heap when this happens because they haven't anticipated it and don't have the replacements coming through.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
One of the biggest mistakes I have seen committees make is not planning for the next generation.
How many times have you seen a club with a strong team, usually with a number of older players, win a few premierships and then retire.
Many clubs fall in a heap when this happens because they haven't anticipated it and don't have the replacements coming through.

Its a good point. However, its a bit difficult to do this when you're talking about a club with only 2-3 Grades. You need to try and keep an eye on player recruitment and individual growth, while making sure success attracts more people.

For some people, playing 2nd Grade in 2-3 Grade club is seen as a slight of some sort, like they're closer to the bottom than the top.

You come into the club and start in 3rds then do well enough to move to 2nds. You might even be as good as some of the 1st Grade players but can't crack a winning team. Do that for a couple of seasons, then some top players retire together, you get your chance but the combinations are different and the success fades. People start looking for an exit.

Whale berry

Larry Dwyer (12)
I guess it is harder with only 2-3 grades, 5-6 guys coming or going could have a big impact either way.
Again easy to say but I believe the answer is in having a colts program.
The good thing about colts is that generally you have mixed levels in the team/s.
A couple of guys who slot into 1st grade, a couple into 2nd grade and the rest who are just happy to get a game.
This gives you replacements at different levels in grade on a regular basis without having to "improve" them via the lower grades.
Also usually after a season or two colts the guys are more committed to the club and you don't have the same level of "preciousness" you can get from supposedly mature recruits.

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)
My understanding is that subbies have asked each club their preference for which Division they wish to play in for 2016. As well as and how many teams would they prefer to field. Lets see if any of the clubs make a dash for higher Div or even lower honours. Certainly clubs will only have themselves to blame if they pretend all is well in club land.

Go the Wallabies!

Tommy Tudehope

Ted Fahey (11)
Seen some discussion in other places about some new rules for 2016 namely:

1. You can't play Subbies if you're contracted with an NRC team or held a professional contract in the previous year. Assume this covers shute shield.

and

2. Limit of 3 players who played overseas in the previous year. Not sure o the exact wording of this one. Would cause havoc for teams like Irish.

Anyone else heard about this?

Peej

Allen Oxlade (6)
Don't know if Shute shield would count as 'professional'. Wouldn't really make sense to force a bloke to sit out a year of rugby so then he can play subbies. Just another way to lose people to rugby.

The rules on NRC players seem good and anyone who has been legitimately professional should be playing Shute shield.

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)
Don't know if Shute shield would count as 'professional'. Wouldn't really make sense to force a bloke to sit out a year of rugby so then he can play subbies. Just another way to lose people to rugby.

The rules on NRC players seem good and anyone who has been legitimately professional should be playing Shute shield.

Would have meant the likes of Pierre Hola would not have been eligible to play for Hunters.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
And again, we come back to a situation where Subbies are trying to band-aid the 500 pound gorilla in the room.

So, fuck it, have a top Division where its a free-for-all. Money, drugs, fucking whatever.

Let the rest of us play rugby the way we want it: as level a playing field as we can manage, for the love of the game and a beer with the boys.

Peej

Allen Oxlade (6)
Would have meant the likes of Pierre Hola would not have been eligible to play for Hunters.

Very true, but the issue with Pierre Hola was the suggestions that he was being paid to play for Hunter Hill. I have no idea on the matter and am not implying he was, but if that was the case then that's the reason he shouldn't be allowed to play. People shouldn't be banned from playing for a year just because they played Shute shield and now want to take a step back whether it be training, commitment or whatever. If a subbies team can nab a quality player then good luck. The more staying in rugby the better.

Rugby Central

Charlie Fox (21)
....But why Pfitzy,

When my mate Bazza the Unicorn is flying down the wing it's a sight to behold. And just because he get's his money in a brown bag from behind the bar after every game proves nothing. He is not being paid.....OK;)

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)
That page is crazy!

Prodigy, have you had much interest from coaches via your subbies advertisement?

Not sure, mate. To be honest, I've decided to take a hiatus from the day-to-day of the club. I'm not planning on playing, coaching or committeeing in 2016.

My young fella is 18 months old, in the first year of a promotion at work and a round trip to training and back takes close to an hour and a half.

In saying that though, I'm still being used as a bit of a sounding board by the boys at times.

We have appointed a head coach though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.